User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How much wind is too windy ?

After reading about the 2 trucks blown over on the 77, I've got to ask just how much measurable wind (mph & strength of gusts, etc) is too much
& as a rule, when would you really want to shut it down ? I'm getting a radio to moniter the weather. Oh yeah, better mention....on the way home yesterday on the 90 east in Pennsylvania, remember feeling some gusts that felt like something out of nowhere hitting the side of the empty truck, next thing i saw was a tractor / dry van trailer on it's side in the center divider with a large cleanup crew on scene. No one anywhere was shut down on roadside & there were only a couple of real gusts to deal with , any advice?
Old 11-18-2006, 02:24 PM
Board Icon

If you cannot keep it in your lane, get off the road. If your empty, it does not take a 50 mph wind to get you into trouble. I was pulling a load that had me at 50K, winds were gusting to 25 mph and it was all I could do to keep the whole unit in my lane. I was pulling a flat with a curbmachine on it.

If it's windy and you have vehicles in front of you, back off of them and watch them, if you see them swerve left suddenly, get a good grip on that wheel and start turning right to help yourself when you hit that same invisible gust that is blowing from the right. Also watch the trees and or other debris that may be getting stirred up by the wind.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:32 PM
Senior Board Member

If you know you will be encountering high winds, load the truck accordingly...you want more weight on the drives and less on the trailer from my experience....
Old 11-18-2006, 05:07 PM
Default Re: How much wind is too windy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA to Cleveland
After reading about the 2 trucks blown over on the 77, I've got to ask just how much measurable wind (mph & strength of gusts, etc) is too much
& as a rule, when would you really want to shut it down ?
If you are talking about last Sunday night at the 3 mile post on I-77 in Virginia, there were actually 4 or 5 trucks blown over. There were 4 on the northbound side and 1 on the southbound side. I traveled that stretch during the wind. The wind gusts were up to 60 mph.

I was traveling southbound on my way down to Ridgeway, SC. I only saw the one truck on the SB side of the road. It was a JB Hunt truck(no I am not going to bash JB). It looked like the truck was actually lifted up and dropped on it's side on the embankment. The other side of the road, which I could not see, but talked to a few drivers who did, said that there was one truck where the trailer was actually dangling off a cliff. If you have ever traveled that section of road it is basically a 5 or 7 mile stretch of road that has I think a 7% grade(I could be wrong on that) and traverses along a cliff that would make a person scared of height a little squeamish. Apparently one of the trucks was fully loaded and pushing 80,000lbs.

I remember when going down I went in I think 8Th gear and kept my speed from 35 to 40 mph. I actually have a lead foot sometimes, so I stayed behind a container hauler that was actually being cautious(imagine that). But about half way down here comes a Crete truck letting gravity do the work for him and as soon as he passed me got hit with a wind gust. I watched his trailer get blown about 4 foot to the left. His outer tandems actually had air under them because of the ditch. The inner tires were still on dirt keeping the trailer on the road. It was pretty nerve racking and upsetting to see. Especially since this guy had 15 years with Crete, you think he would have known better than to run that fast down a hill with 60mph wind gusts. Remember that speed amplifies. I got hit with that same gust, but because I was not going as fast wasn't nearly half as bad as what happened to him. Do not get me wrong, I still had to white knuckle it but had a lot more control of my rig than he did. Just to be cautious, when I saw him coming I got on the CB and mentioned to him to be careful, and that their were 60 mph wind gusts just in case he had not heard. He didn't respond and about 5 seconds later he got hit with that gust.

As a side not this situation brings up a good point. I have to admit, I am a hammer down clown. I have a 80 mph truck and am not afraid to use it. When going down mountains I try to leave about 5 to 10 mph head room if not more in case I of an emergency and need extra speed. What I have noticed is that you need to be careful around the large and some small company trucks(mostly large companies, most small companies either do not govern the trucks or set the governor to 70 or better), that are governed at 65 or 68(i.e. Swift, JB, Schneider, Werner, CRST, Crete to name a few). These guys will go full throttle down a hill without thinking of the consequences. So much for sitting with a trainer for a month. Anyway, that is extremely dangerous to do. Very easy to loose control, jackknife, whatever. Now I will admit to doing it myself under certain circumstances. Usually on I80 in PA where the down hill is a straight away. That doesn't make it right but if traffic and weather permits I go down only using my Jake to save my brakes.

As far as driving and when to shut down. Well, the moment you do not feel comfortable shut it down. No if's and's or but's about it. And remember when you shut it down, make sure you do it in a safe place. Just because you didn't see any trucks on the side of the road doesn't mean nobody shut it down. The shoulder can be a very dangerous place. Try to anticipate conditions, this can be very crucial during winter in places like PA. Keep your CB on all the time (if you don't want to listen to all the noise turn your squelch up). Do not rely on the weather band completely, they are usually a little behind real time. Also, one thing that I have found is in adverse conditions always run with another driver. Do not run up his a$$, but stay within 1/2 mile. Find an old timer. Most of the time when running front door, these guys will call out hazards and such. Also let them know you are there. If something happens to you especially on the desolate back roads, help is not to far away.

Anyway, I have rambled enough, be safe.

I am a "moon bat" and proud of it.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:36 PM
Board Icon

When you do shut it down, if the wind is still howling, try to get behind a large object like a building or turn head-on into the wind when you park. Do not park broadside, especially when pulling a van.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
When you do shut it down, if the wind is still howling, try to get behind a large object like a building or turn head-on into the wind when you park. Do not park broadside, especially when pulling a van.
A 14 year veteran friend of mine told me once also that if you are NOT able to park like "MrFord" described, then to try and park "jack-knifed" and if possible with the wind to the back of your cab for added stability.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:17 PM
Rookie

Drive only as safe as you feel. Don't be afraid to shut it down. No freight is worth your life or livelihood (preventable accidents can ruin that). I see alot of Big Balls drivers out there but it takes bigger balls to slow down or shut it down.

For fog, drive only as fast as you can see.

That's my 25 cents worth.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:03 PM
Senior Board Member

I agree. If you feel you can't do it , then don't risk it.

I rememebr pulling over in Kentucky on I24 when a big bad black cloud (huge stormfront) appeared and I pulled off the road and hung out on the exit ramp for about 15 minutes. I didn't worry about the drivers wizzing by, I was glad I was watching the Family Guy on DVD and drinking a chocolate milk as my cab was nearly ripped from the frame (sitting). Of course, I hate bad weather, but the moral of the story is 15 minutes of chilling, watching tv, and relaxing was wayy better than driving into this mini-typhoon. If you can't park 15 minutes, ya need to work on your trip planing :wink:
Old 11-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Default Windy...

If you are loaded or mt makes a difference, use your head. A big mt box can get you into trouble even on a "nice day".
Once while going west out of SLC, loaded, I was hit with a large amount of side wind/gusts. I pulled over and quickly realizes it was safer to keep rolling. With the truck going down the road it carries forward momentum/energy to offset the gusts. When stopped I had lost that energy and the rig was really getting knocked around.
The big trouble was cars {as always} next to me, hiding from the gusts.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:22 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Dancing with the bright Pixies at University of Edinburgh
Default Re: How much wind is too windy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA to Cleveland
any advice?
Assuming you,re driving a high-sider(box,fridge,curtains etc.) then just keep your speed down. Can,t really comment on loads etc without knowing the type of work you do. Certain types of trailer/loads are obviously far more susceptible to being blown over. So, just keep your speed below 50mph in strong side winds and if it gets too bad, park up;No job or load is worth risking lives.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit