Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   I need some help, Parking ticket (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/24017-i-need-some-help-parking-ticket.html)

Mars 01-20-2007 05:56 AM

So how in the blazes are you suppose to shop for food and supplies when you are on the road?

mikey4069 01-20-2007 05:59 AM

You have to park your truck at the t/s and rent a car to do your shopping. :roll: Because if you park at walmart http://bestsmileys.com/jail/1.gif

golfhobo 01-20-2007 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
A public parking lot, such as Wal Mart, is considered a highway by the FMCSA:

§390.5 Definitions.

Unless specifically defined elsewhere, in this subchapter:

Highway means any road, street, or way, whether on public or private property, open to public travel. "Open to public travel" means that the road section is available, except during scheduled periods, extreme weather or emergency conditions, passable by four-wheel standard passenger cars, and open to the general public for use without restrictive gates, prohibitive signs, or regulation other than restricitons based on size, weight, or class of registration. Toll plazas of public toll roads are not considered restrictive gates.

Question 26: What is considered a "public road"?

Guidance: A public road is any road under the jurisdiction of a public agency and open to public travel or any road on private property that is open to public travel.

Rev: I haven't done my own research on this, but I'm not sure a private PARKING LOT fits this definition. The fact that Walmart CAN restrict trucks, means THEY have the jurisdiction. Parking lots are not considered "thru ways" and many times are posted against such use.

When they get 2 feet of snow, NO "public" highway/road maintenance organization (city, county, state or federal) is going to be required to come and clear the PARKING lot.

Besides, even IF the Federal MOTOR CARRIER Safety Aminiistration considers a parking lot to be a highway, that does not mean that it is considered as such to Local law enforcement agencies. And he didn't get his ticket from a DOT cop.

There ARE "roads" that cut through private property, and are open to public use, that might fit this definition. But, I don't THINK a parking lot is what they meant, JUST because a vehicle might enter from one street... pass thru the lot... and exit on another.

Putting a NO Trucks sign AT THE FUEL ISLAND might indicate that the overhang is too low. I think there ARE requirements concerning "posting" no trucks signs AT THE ENTRANCE to a parking lot, if such is the case.

Conversely, cities DO OFTEN have ordinances controlling the parking of CMV's (although I've only heard of them in relation to CITY streets,) and they are not always posted. I don't know about the legal issues concerning this "stealth" activity. Seems to me it would be challengable in court.

My point here, however, is just that your definition of a highway by the FMCSA, IMHO does not apply, nor does it matter since THEY were not the regulatory agency passing the ordinace or writing the ticket.

golfhobo 01-20-2007 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mars
So how in the blazes are you suppose to shop for food and supplies when you are on the road?

Buy a copy of The NEXT EXIT and look for Walmarts or other stores that are listed in RED letters. This indicates Truck Parking Available. Plan your trips/time to stop at THESE places to stock up on supplies before you run slap out of cigarettes or whatever.

I think the moral of this thread is this: SCREW WALMART!!! Take our business elsewhere and let them ROT!!

glasman2 01-20-2007 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by golfhobo
When they get 2 feet of snow, NO "public" highway/road maintenance organization (city, county, state or federal) is going to be required to come and clear the PARKING lot.

That would depend on what state you live in, here in Washington the person owning the property is responsible to remove the snow. Including anyone owning a house, they have to remove the snow from the sidewalk in front of their home.

golfhobo 01-20-2007 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by glasman2

Originally Posted by golfhobo

That would depend on what state you live in, here in Washington the person owning the property is responsible to remove the snow. Including anyone owning a house, they have to remove the snow from the sidewalk in front of their home.

That is EXACTLY my point, Glasman, and is the same everywhere I've ever been or lived.

Walmart is responsible for clearing its OWN parking lot because it is NOT considered a "public road."

Silver85327 01-27-2007 02:02 AM

Sent my written request for a court date in today, ill keep you posted as things progress

got mud? 01-27-2007 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Silver85327
Sent my written request for a court date in today, ill keep you posted as things progress

just dont bobtail to the court house :lol:

unotrucking 01-27-2007 02:54 AM

Before I got into trucking, I was a store manger for Wal-Mart. I seriously doubt the manager had a free second to call the police if you were parked in the customer parking lot. If you were only in there ten minutes, there's no way. Now, if you did something silly, like the fire lane, or handicaped spot, maybe. I think you just ran into an aggressive officer of the law.

Slowpoke98908 01-30-2007 07:46 PM

Sometimes you can get away with parking in back during the day. They have to allow trucks to make deliveries.

As the the Next Exit book, things change and they don't research anything to see if trucks allowed.