Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Texas....no more idling (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/38534-texas-no-more-idling.html)

GMAN 09-07-2009 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Malaki86 (Post 461397)
Well, maybe some people either can't afford to pay the ticket or choose not to break the law, no matter how stupid it is.

I only hope that any family he left behind starts suing anyone and everything - from the carrier to the federal government (OSHA) to the state to the city.

And, ya, a fan blowing 110f air around inside of a truck really helps... He may as well as had the heater running.

I don't see how it would be the fault of his carrier unless they told him not to idle. I agree that his family should file suite against the state and local governments who enacted this law. The should sue each legislator who voted for this law, personally.

zipy46 09-07-2009 11:58 PM

I talked to the head of my company..

If its over 100 degrees you can legally idle in Ca

Its the CVMA (?) that has these idle patrols that roam about Ca.

I dont think the regular cops are too concerned about idling rigs...they got

the LA gangs to keep them occupied.

~~~~~~~~~~

I am idling in Louisiana tonight because its humid as heck....i did not have to idle any of the last 2 nights crossing the desert sands.....the temp drop pretty quick at night out there

Malaki86 09-08-2009 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 461541)
I don't see how it would be the fault of his carrier unless they told him not to idle. I agree that his family should file suite against the state and local governments who enacted this law. The should sue each legislator who voted for this law, personally.

If the company sent a driver into an area where they knew in advance that there was no idling permitted (when it was plainly needed), and the company didn't provide to pay for IdleAire (if it was available), a motel (if there was one nearby with truck parking) or an APU to provide the cooling that was needed, then how are they NOT at least partially responsible? The company plainly did not provide the employee with a safe working environment.

OSHA needs to get into enforcing regulations regarding the temperature inside of a trucks cab. I know when I worked at a factory in Virginia years ago, in the summer, OSHA would regularly come in and do temperature readings. If the temperature exceeded 105 (if I remember correctly), the factory had to shut down that section of the plant. There was a number of times when they shut down the entire plant.

105 is nothing compared to the temps inside of a truck that's parked in direct sunlight, in a crowded parking lot, and with the outside temp already exceeding 100.

GMAN 09-08-2009 01:12 AM

Perhaps OSHA should get involved. In order for the company to provide a safe working environment they would need to violate the law by encouraging the driver to idle. It is the state that prohibits the company from having a safe working environment.

GMAN 09-08-2009 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by zipy46 (Post 461546)
I talked to the head of my company..

If its over 100 degrees you can legally idle in Ca

Its the CVMA (?) that has these idle patrols that roam about Ca.

I dont think the regular cops are too concerned about idling rigs...they got

the LA gangs to keep them occupied.

~~~~~~~~~~

I am idling in Louisiana tonight because its humid as heck....i did not have to idle any of the last 2 nights crossing the desert sands.....the temp drop pretty quick at night out there

Drivers should not have to wait until temps get to 100 before they can idle.

zipy46 09-08-2009 01:51 AM

OSHA Public Website Contact Information Page

OSHA may listen ....but I doubt it

Copperhead 09-10-2009 01:14 AM

I do not have anything to do with Texas, but I was listening to a number of programs on XM recently and people on them were saying that the anti-idle is NOT state wide in Texas. It only affects primarily the I35 corridor and a few other places. Before everyone gets there collective shorts in a wad, maybe they may want to look into this deeper. Even if one does not have an APU, like the supposed driver from Heartland who died in the truck due to the heat, they do make hotels to sleep in. Better than sleeping in a truck anyway.

GMAN 09-10-2009 02:57 AM

Not all motels have truck parking. The price of a motel room is not cheap and most drivers or carriers are not going to spend the money for a room when they can idle and stay comfortable. Even if they did it could cause problems in time and availability of rooms. With most drivers schedules it would be difficult for most of them to look for a room with available parking and a decent price. I have traveled otr with a day cab and had to either sleep across the seats or pay for a motel. It can be a challenge just to find a motel with parking for trucks. It isn't practical for drivers to all stay in motels. Besides, I don't think that there are enough rooms to accommodate all the drivers.

zipy46 09-11-2009 06:55 PM

I'm in Lufkin right now...

and yes....

I am idling :rofl:

mike3fan 09-12-2009 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by zipy46 (Post 461921)
I'm in Lufkin right now...

and yes....

I am idling :rofl:

WELL, aren't you the rebel.