slow trucks in the middle lane

Old 03-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Senior Board Member

suprising as it may sound there are many 4 wheelers that travel even slower than my swift truck. Most times it's a simple menuver to get around them, then at times you manuver and they all of a suden pick up speed and leave you out in the middle lane to dry.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:07 PM
Rookie

Originally Posted by Meat Wagon
I spend a LOT of time on I-35 (Waco, Austin, San Antonio) and my .02 is that traffic will move much more smoothly around metro areas if the through trucks stay in the center lane (left lane truck restricted). Not only will it give better access to those using the off/on ramps but it reduces the chances for accidents. That being said, I run the center lane at the SPEED LIMIT, but if I see a truck gaining on me from behind, obviously he is moving faster than I am, so I have no problem extending the courtesy of moving to the right to let him pass. 4 wheelers are on their own. 8)

I guess being in my mid 50s and in this game a long time, I have come to the conclusion that a cool relaxed attitude along with common courtesy suits me better than ulcers and high blood pressure.
This is the same thing I do in the Chicago area. With all that merging going on the worst place for a 40 ton missile to be is right in all that mess.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by Meat Wagon
I spend a LOT of time on I-35 (Waco, Austin, San Antonio) and my .02 is that traffic will move much more smoothly around metro areas if the through trucks stay in the center lane (left lane truck restricted). Not only will it give better access to those using the off/on ramps but it reduces the chances for accidents. That being said, I run the center lane at the SPEED LIMIT, but if I see a truck gaining on me from behind, obviously he is moving faster than I am, so I have no problem extending the courtesy of moving to the right to let him pass. 4 wheelers are on their own. 8)

I guess being in my mid 50s and in this game a long time, I have come to the conclusion that a cool relaxed attitude along with common courtesy suits me better than ulcers and high blood pressure.
Who do you pull for? I actually live in Waco, Texas. It sucks getting accustomed to the slow pace here, and then heading into LA, Chicago, etc...

Old 03-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Board Regular

My view is that this is trucking---deal with it.

the NJTPK from exits 16 to 10 is notorious for this; I hate the way the drivers just hang around in the middle lane doing 65 like some dumba$$, i hate their trucks and i hate them. It's like they're not going anywhere in life, but why hold everyone else up too?

But think about all times when it's wide open; I would say at least 75 to 80% of all our driving is wide open.

So, we are probably only talking a few minutes delay.

I say, that's trucking---deal with it.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Rookie

HI MISTERGREEN & TEAL 95 KW.... I drive for an Austin based Co. called Zemog Transportation. You may have seen our red & white Sterling day cabs (former H-E-B Grocery tractors). I live in the Tyler area and all I haul is Ozarka bottled water to the various grocery distribution centers in all the big TX cities; hence, LOTS of city driving. I used to pull chemical tanks in Chicago a lot and I am very familiar with all the craziness there.

Waco is not bad to drive through, but Austin is another matter :shock: :shock: :!:

Old 03-03-2007, 12:53 AM
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lewis friend

the NJTPK from exits 16 to 10 is notorious for this; I hate the way the drivers just hang around in the middle lane doing 65 like some dumba$$, i hate their trucks and i hate them. It's like they're not going anywhere in life, but why hold everyone else up too?

But think about all times when it's wide open; I would say at least 75 to 80% of all our driving is wide open.

If I am going the speed limit then I shouldn't have to move. In that area it's either 65 or 55. Why should I have to inconvenience myself just because you want to save 5 minutes on your run and swerving in between everyone.

Old 03-03-2007, 04:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by mistergreen
Originally Posted by Lewis friend

If I am going the speed limit then I shouldn't have to move. In that area it's either 65 or 55. Why should I have to inconvenience myself just because you want to save 5 minutes on your run and swerving in between everyone.

One reason for moving over, when the flow of traffic is running faster than you are!
Read the signs along the highway that say "slower traffic keep right "
They do not say if you are running the speed limit, stay in the middle lane!!!!
What this poster is saying to you is, be a pal and move over!
Lets say the speed limit is 60 and the flow is running 70, your impeding traffic, so the right lane is where you will be safer!! Why do drivers need to tie up the middle lane anyway?? Remember "keep right, except to PASS" and "DON'T pass on RIGHT" Think about it!!!
Is this what they teach new drivers in school, the middle lane only belongs to you, so screw everyone else???? I hope not!!!

Old 03-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Rookie

So just because I can't be that a$$ and run at 70+ on a 55mph road, tailgating the 4wheelers to make them get out of the way, I should have to make my life harder by fighting with the merging traffic so you can save 5 - 10 min and waste more gas then me? Try slowing down a bit yourselves, you'll save money, have less stress and get there just about the same time because you don't have to keep speeding up and slowing down.

I'm not saying I'll live in the middle lane no matter what speed I am at, but if I am in an area that I know has a heavy merge problem or I can see from looking far enough ahead and reading the road signs I will not sit in that right lane because far too many people do not know how to merge properly.

Like 294 loop in Chicago area, anytime you are coming to a merge with another freeway or toll plaza there is going to be problems in that right lane.

You are supposed to be the professional, act like it more.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:10 AM
Senior Board Member

I'll hop in here and get the business too. if I am in a congested city area and on most interstate "loops" (not all and not all times of the day mind you) I will run the limit and I'll do it in the middle lane what is also referred to in most civilizedcountries as the TAVEL LANE. The traffic never seems to be bothered by me at all, the guys who are running fast have gotten used to passing people all day every day chasing the clock and that's just what they do. They never have trouble passing me anywhere else. I'm not going to raise the changes for myself by travelling in entry/exit lane during rush hour.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:12 PM
Board Icon

ssoutlaw, that is what they teach at a CDS school by me. I will see their trucks out on the big road now and then and it's in the middle lane doing 55 in a 65. Not very smart when your trying to teach someone how to drive a truck.

As I said above, I have no trouble finding a hole to slide over real quick to get by an exit/entrance merge. If you have to sit there in the middle lane when nobody is beside you in the right, your not being the professional. This isn't just contained within the trucking world, 4 wheelers love to do 65 when the flow is 70 or more and sit in the middle lane or left lane.