slow trucks in the middle lane

Old 03-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
ssoutlaw, that is what they teach at a CDS school by me. I will see their trucks out on the big road now and then and it's in the middle lane doing 55 in a 65. Not very smart when your trying to teach someone how to drive a truck.

As I said above, I have no trouble finding a hole to slide over real quick to get by an exit/entrance merge. If you have to sit there in the middle lane when nobody is beside you in the right, your not being the professional. This isn't just contained within the trucking world, 4 wheelers love to do 65 when the flow is 70 or more and sit in the middle lane or left lane.
That is the difference between you and the other poster, you will slide over when you can! My post said with the flow of traffic, but the other guy thinks he should remain in the middle lane and screw the flow of traffic. I can tell you 1 thing, the flow of traffic is more than not higher than the posted speed limit!! In the job I have now, I run Chicago every night and I will run the right when I can, then move to the middle lane when needed. What people on this thread are talking about, are the BUMS in the middle lane who think they own the road, and everyone is passing on both sides of them. This is what causes traffic jams. Everyone here knows, and has seen these type of drivers, and this is the Bit#$ we are commenting about

Old 03-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Senior Board Member

ssoutlaw, that is what they teach at a CDS school by me. I will see their trucks out on the big road now and then and it's in the middle lane doing 55 in a 65. Not very smart when your trying to teach someone how to drive a truck.

As I said above, I have no trouble finding a hole to slide over real quick to get by an exit/entrance merge. If you have to sit there in the middle lane when nobody is beside you in the right, your not being the professional. This isn't just contained within the trucking world, 4 wheelers love to do 65 when the flow is 70 or more and sit in the middle lane or left lane.
Originally Posted by ssoutlaw
That is the difference between you and the other poster, you will slide over when you can! My post said with the flow of traffic, but the other guy thinks he should remain in the middle lane and screw the flow of traffic. I can tell you 1 thing, the flow of traffic is more than not higher than the posted speed limit!! In the job I have now, I run Chicago every night and I will run the right when I can, then move to the middle lane when needed. What people on this thread are talking about, are the BUMS in the middle lane who think they own the road, and everyone is passing on both sides of them. This is what causes traffic jams. Everyone here knows, and has seen these type of drivers, and this is the Bit#$ we are commenting about
How can someone be causing a traffic jam if everyone is passing on both sides? Either traffic is not moving, or cars are passing.

Old 03-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by mistergreen
So just because I can't be that a$$ and run at 70+ on a 55mph road, tailgating the 4wheelers to make them get out of the way, I should have to make my life harder by fighting with the merging traffic so you can save 5 - 10 min and waste more gas then me? Try slowing down a bit yourselves, you'll save money, have less stress and get there just about the same time because you don't have to keep speeding up and slowing down.

I'm not saying I'll live in the middle lane no matter what speed I am at, but if I am in an area that I know has a heavy merge problem or I can see from looking far enough ahead and reading the road signs I will not sit in that right lane because far too many people do not know how to merge properly.

Like 294 loop in Chicago area, anytime you are coming to a merge with another freeway or toll plaza there is going to be problems in that right lane.

You are supposed to be the professional, act like it more.
Who said anything about tailgating?? I will tell you this much, when Chicago is not backed up, the flow is more than not running faster than the posted speed limit!!! If the flow of traffic is running faster than you, and passing you on both sides, then you are the traffic hazard, plain and simple!! If you cant keep up with the flow, then why bring the right lane problems to everyone else, maybe you need to gage the merging traffic a little better then!! You sound like one of these drivers that coming out of the toll booth you take 5 miles to get to speed in the middle lane! Running the with the flow is more professional than running the speed limit in the middle lane and causing everyone around you to change lanes and run around you!!! So I will give you some of your own advice

"You are supposed to be the professional, act like it more"

The other post from me saying about the sign on the road saying " slower traffic keep right " This is the situation this sign refers to!! Now don't read anything else into my post about speed, if your causing a slow down, then move over and let traffic clear and worry about your own driving, not someone Else's. This conversation is not about someone running 80mph, its about people like you who must always block the middle lane. PERIOD!!!!!

Old 03-03-2007, 05:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by Colin

How can someone be causing a traffic jam if everyone is passing on both sides? Either traffic is not moving, or cars are passing.
Think about what you just said!
Take 3 lanes of traffic, the truck or car in the middle lane is going slower than the other 2 lanes. People are switching lanes on either side of them, they may need to brake a little, or wait before they move over. This has a domino effect to the rest of the traffic behind the slow driver in the middle lane. I know you knew this, you just needed to be reminded.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Take 3 lanes of traffic, the truck or car in the middle lane is going slower than the other 2 lanes. People are switching lanes on either side of them, they may need to brake a little, or wait before they move over. This has a domino effect to the rest of the traffic behind the slow driver in the middle lane. I know you knew this, you just needed to be reminded.
I did think about it before I typed it.

They also may not need to brake a little. You are painting with a wide brush here. EVERY truck in the middle lane situation does not create a backup.

There will always be slower traffic and someone needing to move around them. If you're in the right hand lane and have to pause because there is no opening to pass, what's the difference between that and a middle lane situation? You're slowing down for both. Traffic backups can happen in a right hand lane slow driver scenario as well.

You guys are all worked up about this and it really does not affect your driving life that much. Try keeping your nose out of other people's business. If they want to run the middle lane (as per some company policy; like I mentioned recently), then go around and let your blood pressure drop.

This is a general message to all, not anyone in particular...

Old 03-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by Fozzy
I cannot figure out why this is so hard. If there are three lanes, there is a entrance/exit lane.. and TRAVEL lane and a PASSING lane.
this is a typical misconception, usually believed by inexperienced truck drivers and 4 wheeler drivers. I guess if there are only 2 lanes, then there is no travel lane and you have to constantly either enter/exit or pass.. I noticed most newbies dont have the courtesy to move over. I blame their trainers, teach them to be professional drivers, not just steering wheel holders.. I guess its hard to cover everything in 2 weeks.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:46 PM
Senior Board Member

They also may not need to brake a little. You are painting with a wide brush here. EVERY truck in the middle lane situation does not create a backup.

There will always be slower traffic and someone needing to move around them. If you're in the right hand lane and have to pause because there is no opening to pass, what's the difference between that and a middle lane situation? You're slowing down for both. Traffic backups can happen in a right hand lane slow driver scenario as well.

You guys are all worked up about this and it really does not affect your driving life that much. Try keeping your nose out of other people's business. If they want to run the middle lane (as per some company policy; like I mentioned recently), then go around and let your blood pressure drop.

sad that there are such unprofessional, discourteous people on the road.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by Fredog
Yeah. Far too much yelling on the CB or giving the finger to slower drivers!

Old 03-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by Fredog
Yeah. Far too much yelling on the CB or giving the finger to slower drivers!
I dont even turn my c/b on anymore unless I need information. then half the time, you just get a smartass answer, but sometimes you actually get some help.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

It takes two to argue or fight. You guys who want to dig your heels in and say you have a right to the middle lane as long as you go the speed limit are just as bad as the impatient guy popping his cork trying to get around you. It just becomes a battle of wills. It cant be less stressful for you having him on your bumper and you know damn well what he wants. What's the big deal? Move over at the first opportunity. If I'm being held up I don't like it but I try to chill out until I can do something about it. If I'm holding someone else up I get out of the way as soon as I can. To be honest it doesn't happen much because I see him coming in my mirror and I find a hole before he gets there. It's called sharing the highway and getting along. Dealing with merging traffic isn't that hard if you try. You guys don't want to be inconvenienced so you inconvenience someone else. I say your using safety as an excuse for lazy because you just want to sit in the middle and hold the wheel. Yeah, there's probably more work in the right lane but I think I can handle it long enough for a guy to get around me.