slow trucks in the middle lane

Old 03-04-2007, 01:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by Fredog
you CAN impede traffic by going the speed limit, but you cant get a ticket for it. what is the offense? subject was doing the speed limit and hampering other drivers from breaking the law?

The offense is impeding traffic. You can also get a ticket for speeding when you are running the posted speed limit. Both of these offenses have to do with safety. Raining or snowing etc and running the speed limit may not be safe and you can get a ticket. Remember, no faster than SAFE from your drivers test?I'm not trying to argue with you, but impeding traffic is a safety issue, and you can be ticketed. Will you always be ticketed, probably not. Can you see what I am getting at?

Old 03-04-2007, 01:36 AM
Rookie

Originally Posted by ssoutlaw
The offense is impeding traffic. You can also get a ticket for speeding when you are running the posted speed limit. Both of these offenses have to do with safety. Raining or snowing etc and running the speed limit may not be safe and you can get a ticket. Remember, no faster than SAFE from your drivers test?I'm not trying to argue with you, but impeding traffic is a safety issue, and you can be ticketed. Will you always be ticketed, probably not. Can you see what I am getting at?
So if I was doing the speed limit in a construction zone but the rest of the lanes were doing over. I can get pulled over for impeding the flow of traffic?

Old 03-04-2007, 01:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by mistergreen
Originally Posted by ssoutlaw
So if I was doing the speed limit in a construction zone but the rest of the lanes were doing over. I can get pulled over for impeding the flow of traffic?

We were not talking about a construction zone, so quit the what ifs
I don't believe the flow should be going over the construction speed, this is definitely a safety issue, but WHAT IF YOU were going 10mph under the
C zone limit, naked with no doors on the truck. Quit with the what ifs!

Old 03-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Board Icon

Fredog, come into VA and do that crap, they State boys WILL pull you for it and ticket you if they see you or get a phone call on you. They have gotten to the point where they are looking for those who are impeding traffic as much as those who are speeding. It has gotten so bad here on the Interstates and 4 lanes that they have been forced to start pulling people because it is creating bad situations especially around the Northern VA area.

Old 03-04-2007, 02:29 PM
Board Regular

What about in heavy metro traffic? We have some interstate around here that is 3 lanes and left lane goes to one freeway, middle goes to either, right goes to the other. I usually take the middle lane for the 10 miles because if I'm in the right I have to fight to get back into the middle lane due to heavy congestion. Also it is a 70mph interstate, being where I'm from drivers drive with their heads up their asses and get on the freeway at 50 mph. I have no problem slowing down a few mph when someone gets in front of me, but having to drop from 70 mph to 40 mph sucks.

Also MrFord commented on not slowing down when someone wants to pass them going just slightly quicker.

If I'm way out in the country, and am going 1 mph faster than someone I will pass. I know someone here said they won't let up, and another said it's only 20-30 minutes at the end of the day that you end up losing...

20-30 minutes will make or break me some days and I really really need those 20-30 minutes. Now I don't speed or anything to do that, all the freeways around here I drive in the country are 70-75 mph, my truck can only do 70 mph.

Likewise I am sympathetic to people going 1 mph faster than me, when they try to pass I just let off the throtle a bit and let them get around me.

If they had to slow down to stay behind me, they lose 20-30 minutes. I lose less than a second by slowing down just slightly to let them get around me.

What makes the most sense?

Old 03-04-2007, 02:35 PM
Board Regular

you CAN impede traffic by going the speed limit, but you cant get a ticket for it. what is the offense? subject was doing the speed limit and hampering other drivers from breaking the law?
I know in the state I am in if you are in the passing lane and doing the speed limit, and someone is behind you, by law you must move to the right to let the faster traffic by regardless of whether or not the person is speeding.

Old 03-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
Fredog, come into VA and do that crap, they State boys WILL pull you for it and ticket you if they see you or get a phone call on you. They have gotten to the point where they are looking for those who are impeding traffic as much as those who are speeding. It has gotten so bad here on the Interstates and 4 lanes that they have been forced to start pulling people because it is creating bad situations especially around the Northern VA area.
I dont run the middle lane no matter how fast or slow I am going, I use it to pass and then move back to the right, I was just saying that you cant be ticketed for obeying the law, so you say cop writes ticket, offense is.. obeying the speed limit and impeding traffic? guilty 20 years hard labor..
by the way, last time I was in Virginia, I got a ticket for 76 in a 65, many people were going a lot faster, but he got me, I guess I should have told him, I was just trying not to impede traffic flow

Old 03-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Board Regular

I dont run the middle lane no matter how fast or slow I am going, I use it to pass and then move back to the right, I was just saying that you cant be ticketed for obeying the law, so you say cop writes ticket, offense is.. obeying the speed limit and impeding traffic? guilty 20 years hard labor..
by the way, last time I was in Virginia, I got a ticket for 76 in a 65, many people were going a lot faster, but he got me, I guess I should have told him, I was just trying not to impede traffic flow
You still can get a ticket for speeding, but you're not supposed to impede the passing lane. They did a news report on the law we have here regarding that. They interviewed someone from the DOT and he said the law says you must move out of the passing lane for faster moving traffic, even if they are speeding.

If you don't, you could get a ticket, the person speeding could also get a ticket for speeding. Two seperate laws.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by Deus
You still can get a ticket for speeding, but you're not supposed to impede the passing lane. They did a news report on the law we have here regarding that. They interviewed someone from the DOT and he said the law says you must move out of the passing lane for faster moving traffic, even if they are speeding.

If you don't, you could get a ticket, the person speeding could also get a ticket for speeding. Two seperate laws.

so, basically, whatever you do in Virginia is wrong, I never did like that state.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Rookie

Is it illegal to pass on the right when some Left Lane Louie on a 4 lane highway (usually a 4 wheeler) going slower than the rest of the traffic absolutely refuses to move over? I can't bring myself to get 3 inches from his bumper and intimidate with lights or horn or grille or whatever. It's just not in me. So albeit cautiously I will pass on the right to get me on my way. I know some drivers will refuse to pass a slow vehicle on the right, but is it against the law in all areas, some areas or is it OK under the circumstances? Got to admit this old vet doesn't know :?.