Who knew that hitting an orange cone would do so much damage

Old 01-31-2007, 12:09 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Who knew that hitting an orange cone would do so much damage

15 minutes into driving this morning on a load that's a day late (cause of the shipper) and I head into a work construction zone on I10 in Florida. Well it turns into one lane with cones on the side. Up a head I see a cone in the middle of the lane. To my left are more cones and to my right is the side of the road. I figure what the hell, it's just soft plastic so I go right over it trying to have it go right up the middle so as to not get caught in the tires.

Well to make a long story short lights start flashing on the dash and I pull over and there is oil everywhere. There is a big hole in the fiberglass pan underneath. So now I sit and wait. These things are delicate. I could have drove over that thing whith my cheap hyundai all day long. (not that I would, like I said it was right in the middle of the road and so I couldn't avoid it )

Lesson from one new driver to the other: don't hit orange cones

Old 01-31-2007, 12:45 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Dancing with the bright Pixies at University of Edinburgh

I,m not sure if those cones are the same over there, but over here they are weighted down with sand. They,re also buggers for putting headlights out too. Don,t beat yourself up over it. Shite happens
Good luck for the rest of the week :wink:

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Old 01-31-2007, 02:19 PM
dle
Senior Board Member

Was it a cone or was it a barrel?

Old 01-31-2007, 02:44 PM
Senior Board Member

No it was a cone. I wouldn't have been trying to run over a barrel. Not that I wanted to hit the cone either, but like I said, they had the highway down to one lane so there wasn't much I could do.

christ if I were an o/o I'd be hysterical right now. to fix this is going to cost $2500 roughly. Now I see why they say you should have so much capital in reserve for these thing.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Yes the little ORANGE critters can do some major damage to the underside of a vehicle. They can rip off fuel lines, air lines and can also damage aluminum tank steps. Not to mention the altercation you had.

I hope it is a lesson well learned. Try to avoid the critters at all costs.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:20 PM

Back in the day while driving through Chicago, I had a driver in front of me tag one with a TRL tire, which in turn kicked it right into the middle of the lane.

Hammered the brakes and straddled it at about 20 MPH - took out most of my plastic bumper...

As one said, shite happens..

www.nonforceddispatch.com
---
Old 01-31-2007, 06:12 PM
Senior Board Member

I lost a rear view mirror on my car thanks to an orange barrel.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:33 PM
Board Icon

You should always avoid a barrel. You never can tell if those things are weighed down with sandbags or not. A cone on the other hand is usually not weighed down unless someone has been tampering with it. The big cones can do some major damage as they are fairly heavy though they don't look it.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Who knew that hitting an orange cone would do so much da

Originally Posted by merrick4
15 minutes into driving this morning on a load that's a day late (cause of the shipper) and I head into a work construction zone on I10 in Florida. Well it turns into one lane with cones on the side. Up a head I see a cone in the middle of the lane. To my left are more cones and to my right is the side of the road. I figure what the hell, it's just soft plastic so I go right over it trying to have it go right up the middle so as to not get caught in the tires.

Well to make a long story short lights start flashing on the dash and I pull over and there is oil everywhere. There is a big hole in the fiberglass pan underneath. So now I sit and wait. These things are delicate. I could have drove over that thing whith my cheap hyundai all day long. (not that I would, like I said it was right in the middle of the road and so I couldn't avoid it )

Lesson from one new driver to the other: don't hit orange cones
i hit one three years ago in wyoming. this was at nite and someone had hit it and kicked it over on it's side in my lane (black rubber base facing me) didn't see in it time so put it down the middle the short list is bumper, vorad, airline (supply) brake chamber and license plate lite and stuck on the side of the road for 7 hours.

btw that black rubber base is about the same as hitting a gator.

dodo happens. as long as no one was hurt live goes on

Old 02-01-2007, 09:49 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

There was a post on here a while back from someone that used to work construction and they did it early in the morning out in California. Went through a couple of foggy mornings there where they would hear this flap, flap, flap, flap, flap and then a Mustang with a teenage driver would come wizzing by them, running over their cones. Foreman decided to fill up one of those cones with asphalt.

"flap, flap, flap, flap, BANG!" is still one of the funniest posts on the board. :LOL:

Reply Subscribe