Cat vs Cummins

Old 05-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Board Icon

Originally Posted by Midnight Flyer
Sounds good! I'd have a 550 kitty, 13-speed (the fewer gears I have to mess with the better I like it), 24.5 rubber on aluminum wheels, 70" Unibilt sleeper, platinum interior, duel bunks, factory invertor, refrigerator, Thermo King apu, and shore power. Maroon in color with gray leather. 8)
Ummmm. Yummy, sounds good.
13 is a good transmission. Not as heavy as an 18, either.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 05-15-2007, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379
Originally Posted by Midnight Flyer
Sounds good! I'd have a 550 kitty, 13-speed (the fewer gears I have to mess with the better I like it), 24.5 rubber on aluminum wheels, 70" Unibilt sleeper, platinum interior, duel bunks, factory invertor, refrigerator, Thermo King apu, and shore power. Maroon in color with gray leather. 8)
Ummmm. Yummy, sounds good.
13 is a good transmission. Not as heavy as an 18, either.
The 18sp weighs exactly the same as the 13. The only difference is the 18 can split the high and low range whereas the 13 can only split the high side. Other than that it is the same transmission.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:08 PM
Senior Board Member

good to know redsfan, you have some excellent information there.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Well the opinion of our crew is that the I.S.X. does make more power than the ACERT. We run at a much higher rev than most of you guys tho, we haul much heavier, with 411, 433, rears... But I think when a I.S.X. goes bad, it's real bad!!! Like new engine, bad.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:15 AM

I have NEVER drove a Cummins (Big Cam, N14) that I thought ran worth a darn. In addition to that, I had nothing but problems out of them too. Without a doubt a cat! Cats for me run better than anything and IMO, nothing out pulls a Cat.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:46 PM

Well,

In my position as a service writer I see both. Cummins is particular on their warranty but pretty good engines over all. the single turbo C-15 is one awesome mill.

Right now it is easier to get a new Pete with a red engine - CAT simply is not releasing that many new 08 engines.

Injector problems on an ISX have been exceedingly rare - I can remember 1 in the last year - injectors in a cat are a daily occurance. We haven't had anyone complain about their 565 Cummins for power or mileage. Take a guy outta a single turbo and put him in an Accert and all you are going to get is complaining.

CAT does seem to be a bit better on the policy side of things - they will more often than not help a guy out whereas Cummins - not as much. IMHO.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Next year the fleet I work for is dumping the Cat C-13 and going to Cummins. I thing they won't get the relief that they are seeking as next year EVERYONE will be having problems with the goofy emission controls that will be out there. We have replaced almost every one of our truck's IVA's and they are still going bad on a regular basis.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
Don't like the new Cummins, from what I've been hearing they seem to be using a lot of oil like a Detroit. Boss wanted to get a new piece of construction equipment that comes with the newest Cummins and the mechanic's all told him that it would be a waste of time to get it unless another engine could go in it.
Hmm, currently driving a Detroit with over 500,000 miles on the ticker. Might use a gallon every 15,000 miles, and by then it is time for a oil change anyhow.

This old girl has outpulled many a Cummins, with horses to spare. Now she gets spanked by a kitty ever no and again.

Moral of the story, Stick with the Kitty's and the Detroits. Not on the Cummins unless you have losts of patience.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Acert Cats can get good fuel mileage, but they require a whole different style of driving. According to the Cat video, you nearly have to bog them down before shifting.

This seemed to work on the 2005 Pete 387 I was driving a couple of years back. Before watching the video 4.8 to 5.2 mpg, after watching the video, 6.2 - 6.5 mpg everyday.

The drivers foot is the biggest key to mileage.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by countryhorseman
The drivers foot is the biggest key to mileage.
I'll agree with that 100%. Knowing how to shift each individual truck makes a huge difference also.

Reply Subscribe