CoPilot Truck GPS .11 For Your Laptop

Old 04-29-2008, 07:22 AM
Rookie
Default CoPilot Truck GPS .11 For Your Laptop

CoPilot Truck GPS 11

Was woundering if anyone out there was running this Nav system on there laptops. How accurate is with: weight limits, scales, tuckstops bridges, Trip Planing, POI. ect. User friendly?

Also would like the know if any of you came accross anything eles on the market as far as GPS for trucking? 8)

I run Delorm GPS tracking software. Does ok most of the time but i alway bust out the Mapbook to verify what im about to do to myself. :lol: IF you try and drive off it you can end up on a 4ton bridge easy.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Senior Board Member

I've been running CoPilot 9 since the day it was available. I also upgraded to version 11. Version 11 has NUMEROUS problems. As far as relying on it without checking your maps - DON'T. There are NO solutions that are 100%.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:58 PM

My husband has been a Beta-tester for Delorme 2 years in row, he has Co-Pilot 11, Microsoft Streets and Trips etc. He is a GPS junkie for sure. I will tell him about your post and he'll probably reply later today as he is going empty trailer hunting now :lol: From my experience the last Co-Pilot version is a lot better than the 9 version, more accurate although there will always be errors and inaccuracies; I don't think they will ever come out with an errorless version whichever program you use.
It works good in older neighborhoods usually but when you get into new developments you can pretty much forget about it! Anyhow, I'll pass it on!

Old 04-29-2008, 05:07 PM

I use CO-Pilot 11 with no problems, what issues are you experiencing?

Using GPS requires common sense as well, I have had some experiences but nothing replaces good trip planning prior to leaving.

I use a combination of tools to ensure we have a good idea of where we are going, Google and Yahoo Maps have most businesses in them.

My biggest Issue with CP11 is routing, sometimes the software thinks too much.

However there is a new stand alone gps system for trucks coming out, however i havent seen any actual reviews yet.

http://truckerweatherwatch.org
Old 04-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Senior Board Member

I posted my review of CoPilot 11 in the "Reviews" section here on the forums. I'm on a horribly slow 'net connection right now, so I can't get you a link for it. Here's a copy of the list of problems that I sent to ALK:
  • Bring back the map editor. The avoid/favor roads feature is invaluable
  • Bring back the Save Current and the POI manager
  • The map data may be updated, but it's still wrong. Look at a map of West Virginia. It only shows a couple roads that allow trucks. Sorry - there are very few roads in WV that DON'T allow trucks. I've been on designated truck routes in WV and CoPilot is telling me to turn around because I'm on a truck restricted route.
  • When CoPilot is running, my cpu usage stays at 100% for the program about 98% of the time. CoPilot 9 used about 5% of the cpu
  • CoPilot randomly crashes for no reason. It doesn't matter if I'm sitting still, moving, editing a trip, etc - it just crashes
  • Where is the patch for the screen resolution issue? 1024x768 is fine if you have a standard monitor. My laptop is a widescreen and that resolution stretches everything
  • The Live feature is still as useless in version 11 as it was in version 9. It worked fine for a few days, then I started receiving messages from random people, the tracking info (if it didn't say "Device not connected" on the live.alk.com site) definitely wasn't tracking me. I created a new account - still doesn't work. This is the exact same problem I was having with version 9 pretty much from day 1 with it

Hope that helps.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Senior Board Member

I almost forgot this one. Here's a link to another forum with a pretty thorough discussion of CoPilot 11 Truck:
http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/alk-co...-released.html