TV's in the sleeper

Old 09-17-2008, 03:29 AM
Rookie
Default TV's in the sleeper

Getting ready to start OTR training soon. When I'm on my own, will I most likely need to bring a TV for the sleeper?

Old 09-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Board Regular

No one 'needs' to bring a TV, but you may want to. I don't have one, never watched it when I did, so I left it at home and don't miss it.

In all honesty, driving solo I was too tired for the most part to mess with it.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Companies don't supply TV's so if you want one you will have to take care of it yourself.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Senior Board Member

A TV is a good way to help pass some of the "down-time". I always kept a good selection of books ( I love to read ).

Old 09-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Rookie
Default TV in the sleeper

I like to read too, it will probably help to pass the time. I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions, this is a good site to turn to when I need a no BS answer. Thanks!

Old 09-17-2008, 03:15 PM
Board Regular

Although I seldom have time to watch TV, I do recommend one, and a DVD player too. Most of the time, by the time I shut down (solo), I too am too tired to watch any television. I have a TV with the built in DVD which makes it nice. Runs on 12 Volt so I don't need an extra inverter.

I subscribe to NETFLIX, and have newer quality DVD's with me almost all the time. When I watch them I can drop the return envelope into the mail slot at almost any truckstop and there will be a new one at home for me next time I go through there.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:16 PM
Board Regular

Additionally, ensure that any TV you buy has is DTSC (digital) compliant as in February all broadcast signals will be in digital format!

Old 09-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by thebaldeagle655
Although I seldom have time to watch TV, I do recommend one, and a DVD player too. Most of the time, by the time I shut down (solo), I too am too tired to watch any television. I have a TV with the built in DVD which makes it nice. Runs on 12 Volt so I don't need an extra inverter.

I subscribe to NETFLIX, and have newer quality DVD's with me almost all the time. When I watch them I can drop the return envelope into the mail slot at almost any truckstop and there will be a new one at home for me next time I go through there.
Hadn't thought about Netflix. I know a lot of folks hook up Satellite tv in the cabs. But, you're right, if you're running solo, you tend to be too tired to mess with it! Bring a good book- lol!

Old 09-18-2008, 01:21 AM
Board Regular
Default digital format

I wonder if they even put trucks and rv's in the percentages when they figured how many would be effected by the switch. I do not recall the # they claimed would be effected but it seemed to me an extremly low number when I heard it.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:19 AM
Board Regular

Forget the TV, get a laptop with usb antennae, that way you have tv dvd plaver,internet, video games and everthing else a laptop will do all in one small package, all my stuff fits in my laptop rucksack. That way if you leave the truck for whatever reason you have all your valuables with you. Now if they make a laptop with a refrigeration unit attached for food I will be the first customer.

Reply Subscribe