dui,s and me

Old 09-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Rookie
Default dui,s and me

Hello evryone,I am new to this forum and would like some help.Here is my problem.I have just went through school and my got cdl and now i cant get anyone to touch me because of 3 dui,s that are over nine years old. One is twenty years old.I have a lawyer getting them removed but that will take until the end of october.I guess my question is,once they are removed will they still be able to find them on a dac report,and will i be able to get a job.And NO i havent drank a drop in nine years.I just wanted to make a good living for my family like everyone else.But as they say,the past will always catch up to you.Any HELPFULL advice will be greatly appreciated. :idea:

Old 09-24-2008, 05:58 PM
Senior Board Member

if this is for real! Yes 3 DUI's will follow you, no there not on your DAC but they are on your MVR. As for a lawyer "removing" them B/S it's a matter of public record and will ( and should ) follow you for life. Few if any compenys are willing to take the risk of putting someone with that record into a $100,000 truck pulling a high value load and take a chance that you would run over a school bus or something. I'm glad you've been dry 9 yr but the damage is done. If you do find a driving job it's going to be a bottom feeder and will be the pits!!
Sorry but it's the truth, your school should have explained all this to you!

Old 09-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Board Icon

Originally Posted by repete
your school should have explained all this to you!
Most schools won't bother. They are more concerned about getting theirs, and then the CDL holder who didn't research prior to forking out the money is left with a trade skill that he can't easily use.

repete is correct, however. There is no shortage of drivers right now, so companies have their pick of who to put in their trucks. Someone with even a hint of a past such as yours is an easy disqualifier.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:20 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

If you do find a driving job it's going to be a bottom feeder and will be the pits!!
That's exactly right.

Sorry but it's the truth, your school should have explained all this to you!
And so is that. A lot of schools just take your money and fail to tell you that your chances of getting a driving job are slim to none.

Most companies will not hire a driver with more than 1 DUI, period, the thought process being that if you didn't learn your lesson the first time, why should anyone think you learned it the second or 3rd time? You even stated that one was 20 years ago and the last one was nine years ago, so there was one in between there, too. So, in an 11 year span, you have 3 DUI's...that pretty much solidifies a companies assertion that you never learned your lesson.

It's a hard lesson to learn, but that's just the way it is. If you find an OTR gig somewhere, it'll be with a bottom feeder and they will seriously use and abuse you. Why? Because unfortunately, they know they can.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:46 PM
Old 09-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by BigDiesel
BD bites his tongue....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Why should you bite your tongue? Op should have done his research before going to driving school. With 3 dui's how hard is it for HIM to get insurance. I commend the fact that he hasn't had a drop in 9 years but the damage has already been done. The school should have told him that his chances weren't very good. If they knew this was in his past and still took his money they are bottom feeders. Maybe he just went to some cdl mill and they got him good.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:22 AM
Board Icon

The limits of success were set long before the money was laid out for a Lawyer, or Driving School.

I'm sympathetic towards a man wishing to provide for his family, and accept responsibility for his mistakes, and applaud the continuing effort to act as a responsible citizen.

With respect for 9 years of sobriety, I'm more and more mystified at the people that seem to feel a Professional Driving career, is a good career choice to begin with, considering a multiple DUI record.

There are many career choices in life, which have limitations. There are always going to be those who do not measure up for the job, in one way or another. Some limitations I would think are quite obvious to begin with.

Our Industry is measured by our lowest common denominator. I realize this and can't fault people for believing they have a place in this Industry. Common sense aside, the truth is, there are driving jobs out there for someone with several prior DUI's.

If our Industry is willing to employ (quote from Blazing Saddles) "rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperado's, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sheit-kickers and Methodists"...then why not someone with prior DUI's? :P :?

Old 09-25-2008, 12:46 AM
Board Icon

Originally Posted by Roadhog
With respect for 9 years of sobriety, I'm more and more mystified at the people that seem to feel a Professional Driving career, is a good career choice to begin with, considering a multiple DUI record.
Because sadly, many see driving as a last resort to make decent money.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:56 AM
Senior Board Member

T

R

O

L

L

!

Not getting me this time.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:21 AM
Senior Board Member

One of these topics should be pinned to the top of the forum..

"READ FIRST: Concerning DUI's, Vehicular Manslaughter, etc".

Perhaps we won't have to repeat ourselves as frequently (although I'm sure there'll still be the occasional smacked ass who completely ignores it, and posts a new topic anyhow).

Reply Subscribe