UPS feeder school.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Board Regular
Default UPS feeder school.

Thought some you would be interested in how UPS trains its new drivers. On Monday I'll be heading down to Denver to start feeder (CDL) school. In Colorado UPS trains its own drivers. They also give the driving test for the state. Certain companies and driving schools in the state are allowed to administer the driving test.

I've been with UPS for almost 19 years. 15 years driving and 3.5 as a part-timer. I've had the chance to move to feeders in the past, but most of our feeder drivers work at night and with young kids it just didn't work into my life. However, now my kids are older and I'm not getting any younger so I'm making the moved to feeders. First, as a package/feeder driver (do my package route and cover for our 3 feeder drivers when they are on vacation). Then when one of our feeder drivers retires here in about 18 months I'll move to feeders full-time.

UPS is sending me to Denver and putting me up in a Red Lion Inn near the hub. Red Lion Hotel Denver Central

Looks like a nice hotel. My own room. Nice not to share. I get $25 a day for food and they will reimburse me for mileage to drive there and back home. I'm staying down all week and coming home on the weekends. I won't have my computer during the week so I'll post on the weekends.

I've already done my drug test, background check, new paper work, CDL permit, etc, so when I start class Monday it will be right to work.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Board Icon

The very best of luck to you. Enjoy a good future.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:49 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Brown67,
BOL! You earned it.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 01-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Board Regular

Thanks, let's hope I get through. I guess its pretty intense.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:25 PM

Good luck Brown67,

Where in Colorado do you live, when you say I will be down in Denver I think the mountains. I grew up in Evergreen and Idaho Springs area (Clear Creek County).
My sister in law has been with UPS in Denver for 26 some odd years now and I tried a stint with the freight side here in Orlando however that turned out to be a complete joke.
Any way good luck to you pulling doubles over Berthod and Loveland should be fun.... not to mention coming out of the tunnels...
Have a great weekend.

Timberwolf

Old 01-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Board Regular

I live in Loveland Colorado near Ft Collins.