my son wants to be a truck driver

Old 08-19-2011, 11:39 PM
Senior Board Member

tell him to look for another line of work. There is a good thread on here i have to find it. There is a reason the turn over rate is 100% plus.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 08-20-2011, 04:08 AM
Board Icon

Welcome to CAD, Dave. Hope your son will join up, too.

Tell him to stay away from England! That 53 grand is what they promise he'll make if he lets them sucker him into their Lease Option. Like a 21 yr old really needs the pressure and responsibility of owning his own truck! [most of them wash out after they buy the truck for England!]

I knew he was close by when you mentioned Isothermal. I've never visited them, but I hear good things about them. Sage has a great reputation and is the "vendor" as you say at several good community colleges around the country. He couldn't do much better than them.

But, with him in SC, I don't know if he'll get in-state tuition. Can he relocate to NC? Definitely have him go talk to them for all kinds of good info. I drive thru there every day and often see their trucks on the road. They have pretty good equipment. Some schools do not.

Don't know if they still have any money... but, the Workforce Investment Act paid all of my tuition to the school I went to here in NC. Have him check with the local employment office about it.

As you can see, his age could be a problem... but not a total deal breaker. Does he have any college education? If not, he might consider a two year associate degree program at Isothermal with the SAGE school toward the end. That way he'd be approaching the right age when he gets his CDL and still have something to fall back on. Getting a CDL at his age without prior employment promises would be a big mistake. 3 months without a job and your CDL is toilet paper! Gotta start all over.

That P/T job you mentioned could easily be done at a UPS distribution center. That's how many UPS drivers get their start. 2 years on the docks while going to school, and he walks right into a union job with UPS. Very good money there.

Personally, I think the library would be a waste of time. I don't think us truckers are a hot topic for book writers. And change that Rest Area to a Truck Stop. A young man walking up to a trucker at a rest stop is a VERY bad idea (if you know what I mean.)

I drive for FedEX Ground and there is a terminal in Charlotte. All our trucks are Independent Contractors and many have several trucks and hire drivers to drive them. I will ask around about whether they would consider a newbie of only 21 yrs. The company may have an age requirement.

Getting hired right out of school is not much of a problem... except for his age. Most "mega carriers" send recruiters to the schools just before each class graduates. Isothermal probably has a "placement program" as well (or instead.)

But remember.... going to school or getting the CDL too soon can be a waste of time and money. If he does either and then can't get hired for 6 months to a year, he will have to start all over.

Hope this helps.

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Take a look at this. Alot of good info.
http://www.classadrivers.com/forum/n...-trucking.html

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 08-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

One thing you posted that got my attention was a speeding ticket. One ticket is not usually a problem unless it is for excessive speeding. If he was doing 15 mph or over it might cause him a problem getting on with a carrier until it drops off his record. Most carriers will allow 2 moving violations. Some will allow up to 3. Most carriers look for a clean MVR. Before spending any money on training I would check around and see if he can get on with any carriers at his age. I agree with hobo about him getting his education. It would be a good fall back plan should trucking not work out for him. Not everyone can handle this lifestyle. Some don't deal well being away from home from 1-2 weeks at a time. There are threads about this business and what it is like being an otr driver. Living in South Carolina he should not have a problem getting on with most carriers.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Isothermal CC, you by chance from the NC area? They are prety good, even though all I did was use them to get requalified. As for the age most will hire is 23. Whatever you do, don't let him do CR, their trainers are the worst. They have the mentality of useing the trainee as a seat warmer and a way to get extra miles, thats it.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by Mackman
tell him to look for another line of work. There is a good thread on here i have to find it. There is a reason the turn over rate is 100% plus.
+1

He'd be better off going to school and learning something, anything. If he's into trucks for some strange reason, then he could be a mechanic and make a decent living and live a normal life (as in making it home every night).

Old 08-21-2011, 03:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by MichiganDriver
+1

He'd be better off going to school and learning something, anything. If he's into trucks for some strange reason, then he could be a mechanic and make a decent living and live a normal life (as in making it home every night).
I used to have a "normal life" and busted my azz working on cars, big trucks and heavy equipment till I couldn't do it any more now I drive a truck and the easyest job I've ever had get paid good and home every night. IT CAN BE DONE.
If Jr wants to try his hand, good for him, lots good stuff here just get him to check it out

Old 08-21-2011, 07:03 AM
Senior Board Member

hey you blokes getting like to sound like your fellow americans in Layover.Com , how about giving helpful advice like you usualy do and encourage people to join the industry

Old 08-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Rookie

I see that no one has mentioned Millis Transfer as a possibility for a new driver. I just finished the school in Trenton(Hamilton), OH. There were only 2 in my class and the second was 21 years old. The are hiring in most states east of the Mississippi and were recently certified as a top pay carrier. By listening to the drivers in the terminal most of the drivers for Millis are happy with them and have been around for several years. As I have stated I am a new driver. Before the class I had not even been in a tractor, let alone drive one.
The class is fairly inexpensive with only $500 needed up front. There is an additional $2000 for the class that they will finance at no interest until it is paid. They will also "charge" for the trainer after you go on the road. If you stay with them for a year that "charge" is forgiven. I say inexpensive because the schools in the Indianapolis area are wanting $5000-$6500 for the schools that replied to my calls. And they can't guarantee a position after finishing the course.
I have been wanting to drive for the last 20 years and have never given in to the temptation. Jumped into it and I am ready to go out with my trainer.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by eyewannafly2
I see that no one has mentioned Millis Transfer as a possibility for a new driver. I just finished the school in Trenton(Hamilton), OH. There were only 2 in my class and the second was 21 years old. The are hiring in most states east of the Mississippi and were recently certified as a top pay carrier. By listening to the drivers in the terminal most of the drivers for Millis are happy with them and have been around for several years. As I have stated I am a new driver. Before the class I had not even been in a tractor, let alone drive one.
The class is fairly inexpensive with only $500 needed up front. There is an additional $2000 for the class that they will finance at no interest until it is paid. They will also "charge" for the trainer after you go on the road. If you stay with them for a year that "charge" is forgiven. I say inexpensive because the schools in the Indianapolis area are wanting $5000-$6500 for the schools that replied to my calls. And they can't guarantee a position after finishing the course.
I have been wanting to drive for the last 20 years and have never given in to the temptation. Jumped into it and I am ready to go out with my trainer.
Exactly how much are they gonna "charge you" for that trainer....and what are that trainers certifications?

Reply Subscribe