Just finished my first run as owner/operator!

Old 05-12-2007, 02:56 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: first repair

Originally Posted by mike3fan
it's labor
Your greenback slips another 9 cents & it'll be cheap labour.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill

Originally Posted by coastie
Originally Posted by mike3fan
Originally Posted by solo379
$1.50 to go to FL!? :shock: Did i miss something? :roll:
Nope you didn't miss anything,he hasn't been there before as a O/O,wait till he sees the "freight" out of there....... :lol:

His $1.50 is gonna turn to $1.00 real fast after he gets done deadheading to GA
He could get lucky and get a good load out. Just has to do his homework first. But true, Florida is hard to get good loads, but not impossible. I have seen a 1.72 load going to NC out of there. But it was a Flatbed load.
LOL ...I might be green but not that green, its only going to Talahasee area, I can easily DH up to Atlanta for a load out; hoping to get something all the way back to Ca...but if not OK city so I can get some good used tires from a tire guy I like there.

Old 05-13-2007, 12:06 AM
Senior Board Member

From what I've seen lately, GA might just as well be FL. I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference in rates. On the plus side, it is the short busy season in the SE, so rates are up from where they normally are. I'm headed there too, luckily my box cools :lol:

Old 05-13-2007, 02:19 AM
Board Regular

Originally Posted by pepe4158

LOL ...I might be green but not that green, its only going to Talahasee area, I can easily DH up to Atlanta for a load out; hoping to get something all the way back to Ca...but if not OK city so I can get some good used tires from a tire guy I like there.
Pepe, I know your not that green, pretty smart.. Not intended on making you sound like your green or anything.

Seems I'm doing alot of upseting so I'll just shut up and read.. lol..

Old 05-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by sidman82
Me too!....yeah....now how do I get paid????????
Do the load, then wait for the check to come
That's how you get paid.
Hmm not quite that easy Sid, just got off the phone with Steven's Trans. Seems I have to make up some crappy invoice, the rate agreement copy, the original bills and mail them to their corprate office. Seems nothing in this buiz is automatic, if you dont make ery step happen it doesnt happen :-p

Old 05-15-2007, 10:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Pepe, I was being funny Left that part out. You need to invoice the company. Some companies don't mind what it looks like. I've had brokers tell me to scribble it on a piece of paper and send it in.
I don't do that though. I send an invoice with date, load #, invoice #, how much is owed to me, any outstanding freight bills, a copy of original agreement contract, etc... Oh, most important, who to make the check out to. :lol:

Old 05-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Senior Board Member

LOL ...I might be green but not that green, its only going to Tallahassee area, I can easily DH up to Atlanta for a load out;
Yesterday, i did see a rated order, for one of our O/O. Load, from Columbus OH, to Tallahassee, FL. 72%+FSC, was $2.03 a mile. I don't know, may be your load, was coming out from one of those "no fly" zones, but from any half decent area, Schneider made a big bucks on it.
Not to argue anything, just for your info, for the future! :wink:

Old 05-18-2007, 12:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Yeah Solo...sure Schneider made their cut on it, wasnt expidited, a family dollar load, but wierd that big carriers seem to want to pay more then these chinsey brokers expecting me to haul 44,000 for 1.05 a mile (gasp)
What gives to out here along the east I-10.....I cant find crap that pays worth anything going back home to So. Cal??????????
WTF....what am I missing...I was told loads pay better out here on the east coast....what gives?
I made 3,000 gross coming out here....I was hopping to get at keast that going back, but looks like having to settle for less....what was it just beggeners luck I got light loads paying 3,000 out here..../(gasp) am I stranded unless I am willing to take only 2,000 back?
First broker depressed the hell outta me, wanted me to haul 38,000 for 2,100 back to LA....I said no thks...too heavy for that amount ;-p
Say just curious too...who takes these really crapy loads if even I wont????hmmm do they rebook the loads and put them on a JB or Schneider rail?....just curious.

Oh yeah Sid.....sorry about being so green; yeah I am putting together my first two trip billing packs ever.....its traumatizing Ill tell ya! :shock: :shock: :shock: hmmm they dont even have a kinkos where I could Fed ex these bills,invoice, and contract to these carriers....forgot how much of the sticks these small Florida towns can be along I-10 ;-p Im at exit 142

Sorry Tracer for leaching on to your post, but seemed the logical place since I just finished my first trip too.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Pepe, as I mentioned before, rates are going to be a lot lower going from East to West than vice versa. That's why you've got to make sure you get a top-dollar rate leaving CA because that's your best shot at getting one. Rates overall might be better out east, but that doesn't include freight that comes out here. If you want to come back to Cali for even a half-decent rate you're going to have to work at it. I'll tell you right now, your best bet is to try and get a load to TX. You can sometimes get a rate that's not too ugly gong there out of the SE and that gives you your best shot at something headed west for more than a buck a mile.

I almost forgot, don't get sucked into taking a load to CO without being aware that rates from there to CA will be horrible. That's the most common point west that you'll find loads to, but there's a reason for it.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:45 PM

I'm surprised you haven't considered this. Pull triples. Van, refer and a flatbed and your covered.