Dump truck vs DUMP TRAILER

Old 01-24-2008, 12:39 AM
Rookie
Default Dump truck vs DUMP TRAILER

What are the advantages of having a dump trailer rather than just using a regular tri-axle that can carry the same weight???

Old 01-24-2008, 01:52 AM
Senior Board Member

If you go with a tri-axle truck you might be able to carry the same weight, but you will be over weight on the axles possibly trying to run the same weight as a trailer. It depends on your states weight limit and restrictions.
A dump trailer along with the tractor can give you more axles. You can also unhook and do other things with the tractor. Alot of guys running a dump also run an RGN moving equipment around. It depends what your going to do.
Look ahead also to see what you might be doing in a year or two, and will the truck or tractor suffice. If you will be doing a specific job that requires one or the other. I like the stability of a truck. You can get into some pretty funky angles and still dump a load. Inexperience with a dump trailer could prove costly. Must be very carefull dumping a trailer. Frameless will make it more stable, but nothing beats a ten wheeler on an uneven jobsite. You also have the option of a tag along equipment trailer for the ten wheeler. Ah, to many options.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:58 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Dump truck vs DUMP TRAILER

Originally Posted by squibs24
What are the advantages of having a dump trailer rather than just using a regular tri-axle that can carry the same weight???
Well for starters a tri axle will wear out alot faster then a t/t dump will. You eat up tires on a tri-axle. Tri-axles are better for job sites and you can do paving and milling road work with a tri axle. If i had to choose the 2 i would go with a tri - axle. Cuz you can do alot more with them.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 01-24-2008, 04:26 PM

Dump truck with dump pup is WAY more versitle.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by 2hellandback
Dump truck with dump pup is WAY more versitle.
It depends on where he lives. I know in the NE we dont use that type of set up.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug