OPEC Production Question

Old 10-21-2008, 07:19 PM

Where's Steve Booth?

I just need a shot of Steve.
I am sure you do........

Old 10-22-2008, 08:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by allan5oh
GMAN increasing domestic production will not have a significant impact on oil prices. High oil prices are here to stay. Many argue that in fact todays oil prices aren't all that high, but 5-10 years ago it was way too cheap.

Increasing domestic production is more about keeping money within the American economy, which is a very good thing. I think if both the US increased production, and Canada increased our oil sands output(already planned, costing 10's of billions) the US could possibly get by with just Mexican, US, and Canadian oil. That would be the best possible scenario.

The money would stay within North America, and it would be very good.
This is a post I agree with you on Allan. North America's problem though, is BP, Shell, Total, and Citgo are all foreign companies, and all are major producers on the North American continent. Their profit goes overseas...which hurts all three countries.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by Kurbski
I didn't want to hijack the can hauling thread so I will ask here and hopefully somebody will explain.

About OPEC cutting oil production this week or any time for that matter...

Do you honestly think that will stop Iran, Kuwait and Iraq from reducing production?

Is there any way for the Saudis to monitor anyones exports ?

I heard on TV that Hugo Chavez lost a 5 billion line of credit because of our economic downturn.
Not sure if that will really hurt him either. Hopefully somebody smarter than me will explain.

Mexico ( Valero) and Hugo Chavez (Citgo) probably won't comply either because they need the cash.

What about Russian oil? Is their thick hard to refine oil worth worrying about?
Keith....Valero is not a "True" Oil Company. It is a Refining and Marketing company, based in San Antonio. Valero does not produce any of its oil, it buys it all on the market.

The Mexican Oil company is PEMEX. Very big company with lot's of Gulf of Mexico production.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:05 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

GMAN increasing domestic production will not have a significant impact on oil prices. High oil prices are here to stay. Many argue that in fact todays oil prices aren't all that high, but 5-10 years ago it was way too cheap.

Increasing domestic production is more about keeping money within the American economy, which is a very good thing. I think if both the US increased production, and Canada increased our oil sands output(already planned, costing 10's of billions) the US could possibly get by with just Mexican, US, and Canadian oil. That would be the best possible scenario.

The money would stay within North America, and it would be very good.

I think increasing our drilling domestically could lower prices. The main reason is because OPEC would like to keep prices below what it would cost us to become more self sufficient. I recall a few years ago when oil was around $25/barrel. The U.S. was talking about pulling oil from shale and the cost threshhold along with the cost of efficiently producing alternatives using ethanol, etc., Prices dropped just below the cost of producing these other alternatives and extracting from shale. This worked for several years. They would go beyond the threshhold and when the talk started prices ebbed just below that figure.

I do agree that much of the reasoning for drilling domestically has a lot to do with keeping money within North America. It is in our interests to keep our money closer to home. Canada and Mexico are two of our largest trading partners. It would be much better to keep that money within this hemisphere.

I also agree with Stan about ownership of most of the major oil companies being foreign owned. Prices escalated dramatically once these oil companies were allowed to merge with foreign oil companies. They don't have any loyalty to U.S. interests. Something so vital to U.S. security should not be controlled by foreign entities. Congress has been asleep at the wheel. They should never have allowed these companies to merge.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by GMAN
We get very little of our oil from the Middle East, but they can impact world prices by controlling output.
Imports of crude oil for 2007 per thousand barrels.

OPEC nations: 1,966,559
Non OPEC: 1,694,845

seems like that is a little more than "very little".

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/pe...im0_mbbl_a.htm

Old 10-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Senior Board Member

these are pretty interesting

Old 10-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by GMAN
Congress has been asleep at the wheel. They should never have allowed these companies to merge.
Americans elected a oil man form an oil family that has close ties to some of the biggest players from the largest oil producing countries in the world are then upset because the oil companies get their way?

Old 10-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Board Regular

I think you misunderstood what I meant. It would change to a derivative to avoid regulation.

What would change to a derivative to avoid regulation? Do you understand what a derivative is? (Quick now, don't go Googleing it to get a superficial explanation) And, what's wrong with derivatives anyway?

Regulation does not "fix" this. Sometimes it makes it worse.
Show me any economic textbook that states that regulation increases volatility. You will find lots of studies purporting to show that increased regulation does not decrease volatility. I'll wager that virtually all of them were funded by organization seeking to profit from volatility.

I would love to see us totally deregulate all markets in the U.S. Wihin 3 years 2/3 of the people advocating such a course would be penniless and I would have moved to Canada.

I hear they have a ptretty sensible immigration policy up there.

-Jack Kerouac, "Mexico City Blues"
Old 10-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
This is a post I agree with you on Allan. North America's problem though, is BP, Shell, Total, and Citgo are all foreign companies, and all are major producers on the North American continent. Their profit goes overseas...which hurts all three countries.
They may be foreign companies, but there is a lot of Americans invested in these companies. You also have to consider these same companies re-invest their money in america, keeping the money here.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by LightsChromeHorsepower
Show me any economic textbook that states that regulation increases volatility. You will find lots of studies purporting to show that increased regulation does not decrease volatility. I'll wager that virtually all of them were funded by organization seeking to profit from volatility.
It depends on the type of regulation. Many people right now are pointing at regulations put in during the Clinton administration that forced banks to lend to people with less then perfect credit. I forget the name of the regulation.

Reply Subscribe