S. CALIF drvr 14 yrs exp. WILL WORK FOR LESS $$

Old 02-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Rookie

Orangetxguy, the 10 hour guarantee you speak of is basically the same as getting paid by the load. The faster you get it done the faster you can go home and the more per hour you make. What I'm referring to is straight hourly pay.

Where I work in California, the speed limit is 55. I get passed constantly by trucks going 65 or faster. 95% of these trucks are mileage or percentage pay. It's not uncommon for me to get harassed on the cb for going the speed limit and blocking their way.

I have seen a huge change in the past 25 years of driving. When I started, probably 75% of the drivers in my area were hourly. That has changed to probably only 5% or less today. The difference in the quality of drivers is huge. It's terrible how bad it is. Most of these drivers shouldn't be driving a car, let alone a truck. Most of the quality drivers like myself got out of driving a long time ago. Too much cheap competition and the driver job market went totally to hell. It's a damn shame. These drivers that work under these conditions for terrible pay are basically just scabs. They've ruined what was a decent paying good job for a lot of other people.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by PBG 77
Orangetxguy, the 10 hour guarantee you speak of is basically the same as getting paid by the load. The faster you get it done the faster you can go home and the more per hour you make. What I'm referring to is straight hourly pay.

Where I work in California, the speed limit is 55. I get passed constantly by trucks going 65 or faster. 95% of these trucks are mileage or percentage pay. It's not uncommon for me to get harassed on the cb for going the speed limit and blocking their way.

I have seen a huge change in the past 25 years of driving. When I started, probably 75% of the drivers in my area were hourly. That has changed to probably only 5% or less today. The difference in the quality of drivers is huge. It's terrible how bad it is. Most of these drivers shouldn't be driving a car, let alone a truck. Most of the quality drivers like myself got out of driving a long time ago. Too much cheap competition and the driver job market went totally to hell. It's a damn shame. These drivers that work under these conditions for terrible pay are basically just scabs. They've ruined what was a decent paying good job for a lot of other people.

Give it a rest. it's your ridiculous opinion and not fact..

Old 02-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Rookie

Sounds like your part of the problem

Old 02-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Sounds like your part of the problem
yea, 35 years driving no tickets, no wrecks I am terrible!!

Hey, doesnt ups pay by the hour? why are 95 percent of their drivers driving like fools? maybe it has to nothing to do with how you are paid, but rather with what kind of driver you are..

Old 02-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Board Regular

Huh ???? Driving like fools ??? I beg to differ. On a package van, you hustle, that's part of the job. On feeder or combination runs you are expected to operate safely at all times. Accumulating tickets at UPS is the fastest way to a termination. Running into so much as a trash can at a terminal can and does result in a write-up for disciplinary purposes. Driving records are monitored constantly. 32 years @Brown-no tickets or accidents ever...Retired now driving record still clean. And we had to run in all kinds of weather. If Donner was open, then away we go....(Got to keep that Christmas stuff moving...)

Old 02-20-2008, 10:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by feederfred
Huh ???? Driving like fools ??? I beg to differ. On a package van, you hustle, that's part of the job. On feeder or combination runs you are expected to operate safely at all times. Accumulating tickets at UPS is the fastest way to a termination. Running into so much as a trash can at a terminal can and does result in a write-up for disciplinary purposes. Driving records are monitored constantly. 32 years @Brown-no tickets or accidents ever...Retired now driving record still clean. And we had to run in all kinds of weather. If Donner was open, then away we go....(Got to keep that Christmas stuff moving...)
well, it seems that ever ups driver I see pulling trailers are always on the cell phone and not paying any attention, as far as the package vans, if I see one waiting to come out, there is a 99 percent chance that he is pulling out in front of me. I called in on one last month after he pulled right out of front of me and then had to hit the dirt, they didnt seem to really care.
like someone said, todays drivers are different. safety and courtesy take a back seat, but it has nothing to do with how they are paid. another example walmart used to have some of the best drivers on the road, now they are some of the worst.I believe they are paid by the hour..

Old 02-20-2008, 10:41 PM
Rookie

You pick UPS for your argument against hourly paid drivers not being safer? I don't think I need to say any more.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Senior Board Member

You pick UPS for your argument against hourly paid drivers not being safer? I don't think I need to say any more.
then why did you?

Old 02-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Rookie

I guess I didn't need to. Your statement spoke for itself

Old 02-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Senior Board Member

I guess I didn't need to. Your statement spoke for itself
thank you, glad I made my point, now I am done discussing it, there are too many other things to argue about

Reply Subscribe