S. CALIF drvr 14 yrs exp. WILL WORK FOR LESS $$

Old 02-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Let me guess, CB...you didnt get very far in school, did you? You can always tell the uneducated people in the bunch. When they cant come up with an argument, they just make up crap.
Of course you get benefits with the 1000 buck a week program.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:07 AM

How about the good retirement that doesn't exist? Not even a 401k. Explain their bennies on here, because they dont have any.. including anything worth calling medical. Look into it further and come back.

How about the vacation? Even SNI throws you a few hundred for a week off. Not only will Sharkey give you the pleasure of taking a week off for free after being there over a year they'll also not allow you to get back onto the 1k a week program! Mighty nice of them. Hope you guys like doing lots of short hauls and working to death to earn that 1k. And if you go over the amount of mileage by the end of the month that's an extra 35 cpm you'll get. Make sure you tell the future recruits this SD.

Qoute: "When they cant come up with an argument, they just make up crap." I'd be working next you if that were the case You should get off the computer more often. But that's right you're working the boards to make end's meet.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:38 PM

WHINE WHINE WHINE Get a job and shut the heck up.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:01 PM
Board Regular

Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Get hurt and get sick and that 10,000 a year more job with no health insurance might end up costing you 50 grand or more.
But hey...this is just my opinion. I see heathcare and health insurance as a choice in this country. And in a free country people are free not to CHOOSE health insurance. This is why I dont get all fired up when I see democrat canidates complaining about all the people without health insurance. Really, I just dont care. Those people made their own choices.

My dad happens to be an O/O and has been for 35 years. He happens to be a borderline diabetic also, and has been for most of his adult life. Because of that most insurance companies consider him "high risk" and demand ridiculous premiums to cover him on their policy.

If we had insurance provided by our gov. our healthcare system would be so much easier for our less fortunate citizens to access. Not only that, think about all the Docs that abuse the current system and rip off the insurance companies now. It is ridiculous to think our society as a whole would not benefit from this. Canada, France, and countless other European countries provide this to their citizens and they all laugh at us and our lack of healthcare.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Rookie

The only way to work is by the hour. I get paid for all my time from the time I clock in till the time I clock out. I get overtime after 8 and Double time after 12. Any other form of pay is set up to benefit the employer and cheat the employee. Why should you do work for free?

Old 02-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Senior Board Member

I would disagree....Some of the highest paying jobs in this country arent paid by the hour. Hell, I havent worked hourly in 15 years. Ive also never complained about not being paid for what Im doing. Even as a recruiter, 99% of the time im working for free, the only time I am paid is when the drivers gets in the truck and drives. I wouldnt have it any other way. Hourly pay LIMITS my income. Performance based pay, you control your income and only you limit it. And before you say mileage limits income, I will post a little story ive told before. I know you drivers like to complain about the big companies like JB not paying well. The last year I was there the top OTR driver at JB made just over 90K. Now, he wasnt paid any more per mile than any other driver, He was dispatched the same way as every other driver...So, see if you can answer this? How did he do it? I will give you a clue. He knew his pay wasnt limited and he controlled his pay.
You say all other forms of pay are designed to make the company money? A little clue...ALL PAY IS DESIGNED TO MAKE THE COMPANY MONEY. Thats the only reason you are hired, to make the company money.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
I would disagree....Some of the highest paying jobs in this country arent paid by the hour. Hell, I havent worked hourly in 15 years. Ive also never complained about not being paid for what Im doing. Even as a recruiter, 99% of the time im working for free, the only time I am paid is when the drivers gets in the truck and drives. I wouldnt have it any other way. Hourly pay LIMITS my income. Performance based pay, you control your income and only you limit it. And before you say mileage limits income, I will post a little story ive told before. I know you drivers like to complain about the big companies like JB not paying well. The last year I was there the top OTR driver at JB made just over 90K. Now, he wasnt paid any more per mile than any other driver, He was dispatched the same way as every other driver...So, see if you can answer this? How did he do it? I will give you a clue. He knew his pay wasnt limited and he controlled his pay.
You say all other forms of pay are designed to make the company money? A little clue...ALL PAY IS DESIGNED TO MAKE THE COMPANY MONEY. Thats the only reason you are hired, to make the company money.
We all remember that story. He also added to his income by getting other drivers for JB. $500 per driver is a pretty good bonus. It doesn't take long to get $90K per year......but he was also working 2 jobs--one as a driver, and one as a RECRUITER.

Now most OTR companies will give a driver some kind of referral bonus. To me, that's one way to raise your income. Another way is thru investments into different items. Buy for a little, sell for a little more. And even more ways to make money other than that..

Success is not a 9-5 job. Anyone who is successful will tell you it's 24hr/365days a year job. The secret is finding out how you can add to your income. Just about half the drivers I know do something else on the side, including myself.

Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck. :wink:

(BTW -- I look forward to the stories of success from the companies that you represent now. )

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 02-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Rookie

Any pay other than hourly encourages speeding and other unsafe driving practices. Not to mention getting screwed out of overtime and breaks. When people are not paid by the hour they hurry to get the job done. This results in many accidents on the road. I take my time and do a safe job. This is why I have never been in an accident or had a ticket. If hourly pay was mandated by law for drivers, you would see accident rates drop overnight.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:57 PM
Rookie

About the Driver that made 90K at Jb Hunt. I would like to know how many hours he put in to make that 90K? I don't know about other people, but I count from the time that I pull in the gate until the time I drive out. I get $22.50 per hour for all of that time. Plus my overtime so I actually average higher than that. I think if you averaged all the time spent on the job for the otr drivers, they'd be lucky to even be averaging minimum wage.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by Pack_Rat
Can I have a ruler please. I always seem to lose mine. :P

here's a couple I can spare