S. CALIF drvr 14 yrs exp. WILL WORK FOR LESS $$

Old 02-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Senior Board Member

I wouldnt call it working two jobs, clugster...I would call it working 1 job and doing what it takes to maximize income.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by PBG 77
About the Driver that made 90K at Jb Hunt. I would like to know how many hours he put in to make that 90K? I don't know about other people, but I count from the time that I pull in the gate until the time I drive out. I get $22.50 per hour for all of that time. Plus my overtime so I actually average higher than that. I think if you averaged all the time spent on the job for the otr drivers, they'd be lucky to even be averaging minimum wage.

Sure it would be great in fantasyland where everyone was always paid for everything they do. Personally, I should be paid "per letter typed" while on these message boards...after all, Im at work. And I should be paid for per step I take when walking through a truckstop marketing my services. Better yet, maybe we should be paid for every breath we take while doing something work related.
I just dont see it that way. I prefer to always be on some sort of performance based pay. I abosultely hate working hourly. I hate knowing that even if I work harder than my co-worker, he will be making the same pay I am if he works the same hours. Knowing that I control my own pay and I only I can limit my pay is what motivates me to work harder. I dont want to make the same amount as one of my co-workers, I want to make 3 or 4 times more than them, because im 3 or 4 times better than them.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
About the Driver that made 90K at Jb Hunt. I would like to know how many hours he put in to make that 90K? I don't know about other people, but I count from the time that I pull in the gate until the time I drive out. I get $22.50 per hour for all of that time. Plus my overtime so I actually average higher than that. I think if you averaged all the time spent on the job for the otr drivers, they'd be lucky to even be averaging minimum wage.

Sure it would be great in fantasyland where everyone was always paid for everything they do. Personally, I should be paid "per letter typed" while on these message boards...after all, Im at work. And I should be paid for per step I take when walking through a truckstop marketing my services. Better yet, maybe we should be paid for every breath we take while doing something work related.
I just dont see it that way. I prefer to always be on some sort of performance based pay. I abosultely hate working hourly. I hate knowing that even if I work harder than my co-worker, he will be making the same pay I am if he works the same hours. Knowing that I control my own pay and I only I can limit my pay is what motivates me to work harder. I dont want to make the same amount as one of my co-workers, I want to make 3 or 4 times more than them, because im 3 or 4 times better than them.

OR your co-worker does 30% of what you do BUT he makes more because he has been there longer.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Rookie

I'm not living in fantasyland because I'm smart enough to get paid for all my time worked. What about all the drivers who are taken advantage of and don't even average minimum wage? What about the people who die in traffic accidents caused by unsafe truck drivers who are in a hurry because they're paid by the load or mile?

Old 02-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
[

Uhhhh...how many recruiters are found in low-skill blue-collar jobs other than OTR truckdriving?

Your services would not be required if the job paid well. Do you see recruiters for UPS trying to lure drivers into package-car/feeder positions? You only have a job because these cut-rate oufits can't keep drivers due to the low pay and crappy working conditions.
UPS pays significantly above the going rate for most job classifications (PT package throwers being the exception) and does not need recruiters.

Plenty of flunky blue collar jobs have recruiters. They are called temp agencies. Labor-Ready comes to mind. Aero-Tek has a whole division just for warehouse folk. In most cities there is also a "border bros. hiring hall" of illegal day laborers.

Given the low quality of life OTR until pay is ABOVE local work there will always be a shortage of people who are willing to live on the truck for less than $1k per week. I'd be willing to do it for $1500+/week.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Are you saying there is a difference in accident caused by hourly workers and perfomance paid workers? Id like to see those stats that back up that claim.
So you think you are smarter than drivers who work on performance based pay? Look...you choose to do what you do and you choose your pay. Just like everyone else in the world. No one is forced to work for any pay. WE ALL CHOOSE. Im just saying there are two sides and one isnt better than the other. Some people want to be paid for everything they do and be limited on pay...and some people would rather not be limited.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by Ian Williams
[

Uhhhh...how many recruiters are found in low-skill blue-collar jobs other than OTR truckdriving?

Your services would not be required if the job paid well. Do you see recruiters for UPS trying to lure drivers into package-car/feeder positions? You only have a job because these cut-rate oufits can't keep drivers due to the low pay and crappy working conditions.
UPS pays significantly above the going rate for most job classifications (PT package throwers being the exception) and does not need recruiters.

Plenty of flunky blue collar jobs have recruiters. They are called temp agencies. Labor-Ready comes to mind. Aero-Tek has a whole division just for warehouse folk. In most cities there is also a "border bros. hiring hall" of illegal day laborers.

Given the low quality of life OTR until pay is ABOVE local work there will always be a shortage of people who are willing to live on the truck for less than $1k per week. I'd be willing to do it for $1500+/week.
Actually you would be wrong, UPS does have recruiters. I was actually recruited by them to recruit for them. However, I didnt want to move to Atlanta and the job didnt pay me what I know Im worth.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Originally Posted by Ian Williams
[

Actually you would be wrong, UPS does have recruiters. I was actually recruited by them to recruit for them. However, I didnt want to move to Atlanta and the job didnt pay me what I know Im worth.
well, lets see, I get screwed by being paid 25 % of the gross, last Friday , I picked up a load in Dalton Ga, 30 minutes to load, took it to Canton Ga took one hour to get there and drop it, then went on vacation, paid me $150.00 for my 1& 1/2 hours, that's $100.00 bucks an hour,
I will take that screwing anytime..
I have to admit that I didnt get paid for the 20 minutes back to the shop

Old 02-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Senior Board Member

The only way to work is by the hour. I get paid for all my time from the time I clock in till the time I clock out. I get overtime after 8 and Double time after 12. Any other form of pay is set up to benefit the employer and cheat the employee. Why should you do work for free?
Only a hand full of us on here think this way. Just give up all these OTR its a life stlye drivers on here just do not understand it. Im not putting down the OTR driver in anyway. I give them credit cuz i could never do it for the money they make.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 02-19-2008, 10:28 PM
Rookie

Fredog, what's your average hourly pay per year? If it's $100 per hour, I'm very happy for you. That's great pay.

Sheepdancer, Yes I believe that hourly drivers like myself cause many less accidents than drivers who make more by hurrying. It's the same reason otr drivers with dirty records can't get hired at good companies like mine. These companies want drivers like myself that are safe and have clean records. And I don't feel my pay is limited by being paid hourly. These companies your referring to will hire anything with a pulse.