S. CALIF drvr 14 yrs exp. WILL WORK FOR LESS $$

Old 02-19-2008, 10:33 PM
Rookie

Mackman, I understand what your saying about them being a lost cause. But the problem is that because they exist, these lowlife companies are able to operate and this takes away good jobs like the jobs we have. Companies like ours can't compete with these drivers that will work for nothing.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by PBG 77
Mackman, I understand what your saying about them being a lost cause. But the problem is that because they exist, these lowlife companies are able to operate and this takes away good jobs like the jobs we have. Companies like ours can't compete with these drivers that will work for nothing.
That is very ture. Maybe 1 day they will see the light that hourly is the only way to truck.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 02-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Fredog, what's your average hourly pay per year? If it's $100 per hour, I'm very happy for you. That's great pay.

Sheepdancer, Yes I believe that hourly drivers like myself cause many less accidents than drivers who make more by hurrying. It's the same reason otr drivers with dirty records can't get hired at good companies like mine. These companies want drivers like myself that are safe and have clean records. And I don't feel my pay is limited by being paid hourly. These companies your referring to will hire anything with a pulse.
I average about 18 an hour, but sometimes I can make a lot more. if you are happy with the way you are paid, fine, but it doesnt make you any better or safer than me.
If it takes x amount of time to get from point a to point b, its going to take both of us roughly the same amount of time to get there unless you poke along and ride the clock and screw your employer..
I drive the speed limit and get there when I get there

Old 02-19-2008, 10:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Fredog, what's your average hourly pay per year? If it's $100 per hour, I'm very happy for you. That's great pay.

Sheepdancer, Yes I believe that hourly drivers like myself cause many less accidents than drivers who make more by hurrying. It's the same reason otr drivers with dirty records can't get hired at good companies like mine. These companies want drivers like myself that are safe and have clean records. And I don't feel my pay is limited by being paid hourly. These companies your referring to will hire anything with a pulse.
Again, where are the stats to back this up....Ive seen tons of accidents on the roads....Some are from big OTR companies....Some are from local daycab drivers that are most likely being paid hourly. Hell I dont ever see drivers from big OTR companies speeding....they all have slow as hell trucks.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Senior Board Member

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/sto...date=2/18/2008

Man, this just happened yesterday....a young woman was killed by hourly paid dump truck driver that for some reason seemed to be in a hurry. I wonder why?

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=80895
This one just happened too...Another HOURLY paid truck driver didnt yeild (I guess he was in a hurry) and hit another truck driver. Although the "In a hurry hourly driver" died, the driver he it is only hurt badly.

The point being this....There are accidents that happen with both local hourly drivers and OTR drivers. Hell, I talk to ALL KINDS OF DRIVERS EVERYDAY. And ive never noticed one kind of driver being more qualfied and safer than the other. There are bad and good drivers on both sides.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
http://timesunion.com/AspStories/sto...date=2/18/2008

Man, this just happened yesterday....a young woman was killed by hourly paid dump truck driver that for some reason seemed to be in a hurry. I wonder why?
By the way i read that story it seems like the dump truck was not at fault. The car got pushed into the southbond lanes head on to the dump truck.

One more thing sheep not all dump truck drivers are paid hourly. I know alot of guys around my way are paid %. So you dont know for sure they are hourly paid drivers. But anyway i do see your point.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 02-20-2008, 02:13 AM
Old 02-20-2008, 03:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Any pay other than hourly encourages speeding and other unsafe driving practices. Not to mention getting screwed out of overtime and breaks. When people are not paid by the hour they hurry to get the job done. This results in many accidents on the road. I take my time and do a safe job. This is why I have never been in an accident or had a ticket. If hourly pay was mandated by law for drivers, you would see accident rates drop overnight.
PBG...while hourly is the best pay method, which assures a driver of proper compensation for work done, being paid hourly has little to do with safety. I have known many hourly drivers whom were in more of a rush to get their shift's done and get home, than were the percentage drivers working side by side with them. I know this, because I worked with most of them, at the same company. Many of the "fastest" workers there, tried daily to get 10 hours work done in 6-7 hours, so they could be at home by the 8th hour and still getting paid for two more hours. We worked a four day work week, were gauranteed 10 hours per day, and got paid those ten hours whether we worked 6 or the full shift. We also received OT after 8 hours of work, (time and a-half), double time and a-half for holidays worked, and triple time and a-half for working holidays on straight OT. When I took lay-off in 2003 I was making $26.90 an hour, plus $1.50 an hour shift differential for working nights.

If a driver is going to be safe, it will not matter the method of wage payment. Either they are safe, or they are not.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
I wouldnt call it working two jobs, clugster...I would call it working 1 job and doing what it takes to maximize income.
Ok....we can call it that as well. The main thing is that he added to his income...

That's always good. :wink:

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 02-20-2008, 04:00 PM
Senior Board Member

anybody who does anything differently than how I do it is an idiot