Heartland

Old 06-14-2008, 10:26 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: heartland is a little scary

Originally Posted by rebeckah76
my husband just completed orientation for a regional job with heartland express. he just left schneider national for more money and home time. the guys in orientation seem a little worried. inverters in trucks are not allowd so if you have a cpap machine or tv or a small refrigerator you are out of luck, the oc is small and the showers are filthy, if you come into an oc before 5pm be prepared for a mandatory inspection. seems like a lot of little crap that could add up to be miserable. my driver is looking to the positive for more home time and money...hopefully it is all worth it but we are a little worried that this may have been the wrong move. i guess we will find out when he finaly gets a truck, they are having him travel 600 miles to get his truck?hoping that there is a method to all the madness :shock:
Sounds wacked...If they find a scratch do they call it a preventable

and put it on your DAC record ?

....The trucking industry (driver side of the fence) need to come up with

a 'Trucking Company Misery Index'...sort of like the 'Heat Index' the

weather guys uses.

it could go on a 1 to 5 scale... 1 being good...5 being miserable. :lol:

Old 06-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Senior Board Member

my husband just completed orientation for a regional job with heartland express. he just left schneider national for more money and home time. the guys in orientation seem a little worried. inverters in trucks are not allowd so if you have a cpap machine or tv or a small refrigerator you are out of luck, the oc is small and the showers are filthy, if you come into an oc before 5pm be prepared for a mandatory inspection. seems like a lot of little crap that could add up to be miserable. my driver is looking to the positive for more home time and money...hopefully it is all worth it but we are a little worried that this may have been the wrong move. i guess we will find out when he finaly gets a truck, they are having him travel 600 miles to get his truck?hoping that there is a method to all the madness :shock:
If they didn't find out till orientation that inverters aren't allowed they should have asked before hand. And as far as a "Mandatory Inspection" I would welcome an inspection everytime I got to an oc. What better way to get things fixed then have your truck inspected every time you pulled into terminal.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by Jumbo
If they didn't find out till orientation that inverters aren't allowed they should have asked before hand. And as far as a "Mandatory Inspection" I would welcome an inspection everytime I got to an oc. What better way to get things fixed then have your truck inspected every time you pulled into terminal.

I think the key here is learn the system-- like the key phrase- "before 5pm"-- it's long been the common SOP to stay as far away from the "junk yard" as possible- for as long as possible-- if you want to make money-- can't make money setting around the terminal "brown-nosing" or waiting for Warrenty work( ie- not really necessary right now work), or watching their mindless safety videos or "tagged to go do a "whiz quiz" for them.

Run hard-
Don't wreck/damage the equipment

and you shouldn't need to see anyone back there at the terminal-- as long as they have direct deposit.

in every 30,000 miles for a oil change-- and fix any "little thing" then.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Senior Board Member

That makes no sense. The last time through our terminal I ran my truck through the inspection lane and they found an airline that was starting to rub through along the frame. Better to have it fixed then rather then sit at a scale waiting for some road service outfit to come fix it. As far as the "whiz quiz" or "mindless" safety videos, sooner or later you are going to have to participate. Why put it off. Get it out of the way and be done with it. And the last time I hung around the terminal and "brownnosed" or as I call it "Making myself seen" I left with a load that paid twice as much as the load that I came in with.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:24 PM
Senior Board Member

You guys are throwing me off...

Do you mean a helpful inspection to maintain the vehicle ?

or an inspection from a ladder climber who appears to use drivers

in an attempt to 'get in' with the ''higher ups' no matter what the cost... :?

Example:Hey boss this driver has a nick in his rim...

Weeeeee I found it !!!...look at me...look at me..

I've seen it both ways and I have since learned not to trust any one in this industry ...I just keep it on the floor and keep running away :arrow:

Old 06-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by Jumbo
That makes no sense. The last time through our terminal I ran my truck through the inspection lane and they found an airline that was starting to rub through along the frame. Better to have it fixed then rather then sit at a scale waiting for some road service outfit to come fix it. As far as the "whiz quiz" or "mindless" safety videos, sooner or later you are going to have to participate. Why put it off. Get it out of the way and be done with it. And the last time I hung around the terminal and "brownnosed" or as I call it "Making myself seen" I left with a load that paid twice as much as the load that I came in with.
It's been making sense to me now for 15 years.

If YOU did a proper daily inspection of THE TRUCK ASSIGNED to you-- you could easily catch a "chaffing" air line-- or every 3 months or 30,000 miles when your B-Service comes due-- surely the mechanics would "catch" it then- maybe YOU would be allowed down in the pit to inspect your truck yourself- then--- usually this is AOK at smaller companies, just buy the greese monkey a soda- i.e. be nice.
There's lots of companies out here-- that don't "require" mandatory pulling through an inspection lane every time you get to the terminal.... these companies rely on their drivers to do their job and inspect the vehicle daily. Then when companies run into problems with driver's that are too lazy or lack the skills/knowlege-- they usually then institute a "safety net"
policy like this---- other times-- it's all because they pay the mechanics by the hour--- and in this case--- will usually FIND so reason to FLAG your truck so they will have work to do. 5hrs day --5hrs couple weeks later-- it adds up.

as for the whiz quiz later-- agreed-- you're right- sooner or later you'll have to do a random-- but, some companies "random' arn't that "random'-- it's based on who's available- standing around-- hurd them down-- company has to show a % -- that they are conducting these "random" testing. Again, 2-3 hours that you could have been making $$$.
Safety Videos?? having to watch them and do Defensive Driving Courses?-- usually if you don't hit shit-- or get speeding tickets--- why would you need to come in and "waste" more of your productive time???-- just flash your framed Certificates-- Smith Defensive drivning, haz-mat security etc--- now, while I worked for Westside Transport-- if I were there at the shop getting serviced-- I'd set through those "safety meetings"-- just for the FREE LUNCH! it was worth the deal.

If you came in with a load paying you .46 cent per mile and "brown nosed" yourself a 2x pay raise-- then I'd say that was effective brown nosing-- more power to you-make a "how to" tutorial CD and I'll buy a copy.
Now if you just dumped a load on the yard- after running all the miles out of it-- then grabbed another to do the same to another driver--well you're not welcome at my table.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:42 PM
Board Regular

Headbord - Keep us posted on the Heartland Experience. Been thinking of signing on to their Columbus Regional run. Either them or Barr-Nunn Ohio Regional. This flatbedding is getting to be too much work!

Originally Posted by headborg
Looks like I may be free for Orientation on Monday-- as I just beat this horse
to death over here at Shaffer-- looks like I'm stuck in North Carolina for the weekend with no freight-- actually since I only had 3 hours remaining on my
14 (tonight-Friday) and didn't accept the 600 mile- 3 day load that picked up
tonight 160 miles away or the 400 mile load for Monday afternoon. Night dispatch claims those two loads were all that's available in the state- this entire weekend. I've kinda decided tomorrow if Day crew can't scare up anything for me--- I'll probably clean out the truck in Greensboro.

I'm wondering if you have Orientation in Kingsport, Tn? on Monday or should I get a rental and aim for Olive Branch? This all went down after 5pm Friday- so, haven't been in a position to communicate with anyone-- either here at Shaffer or "other possibilities". I'll try and call Jason@Heartland this Morning(Saturday) but will probably be Monday?? before I actually find him?
That is if-- the waters haven't swept him away by now- up there.

"He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer. I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humor. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub, then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away." -on meeting George W Bush at Thompson's Super Bowl party in Houston in 1974

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by mbadriver
Headbord - Keep us posted on the Heartland Experience. Been thinking of signing on to their Columbus Regional run. Either them or Barr-Nunn Ohio Regional. This flatbedding is getting to be too much work!

Originally Posted by headborg
Looks like I may be free for Orientation on Monday-- as I just beat this horse
to death over here at Shaffer-- looks like I'm stuck in North Carolina for the weekend with no freight-- actually since I only had 3 hours remaining on my
14 (tonight-Friday) and didn't accept the 600 mile- 3 day load that picked up
tonight 160 miles away or the 400 mile load for Monday afternoon. Night dispatch claims those two loads were all that's available in the state- this entire weekend. I've kinda decided tomorrow if Day crew can't scare up anything for me--- I'll probably clean out the truck in Greensboro.

I'm wondering if you have Orientation in Kingsport, Tn? on Monday or should I get a rental and aim for Olive Branch? This all went down after 5pm Friday- so, haven't been in a position to communicate with anyone-- either here at Shaffer or "other possibilities". I'll try and call Jason@Heartland this Morning(Saturday) but will probably be Monday?? before I actually find him?
That is if-- the waters haven't swept him away by now- up there.
I'd love to keep you all posted about the up-and-coming Heartland experience--- But,
#1) my experience --i.e. miles at Shaffer didn't seem to start NOSE DIVING until I started writing about them.
#2) the experience became even more NOSE DIVED-- After the "upper management" didn't like --- that I wasn't "happy" with the way things were "panning out".
#3) after 15 years of driving in this changing OTR industry-- I'm at best--
"jaded" and often cynical, pessimistic--- so sometimes even the "good" days don't get talked about ENOUGH.
#4) You do know-- the admin here-- Twilight Flyer-- works for Heartland!
#5) There are only 4 positive-- reasons I've made this change to Heartland-- instead of any one of the hundreds of other outfits.
1.- regional operation-- not giving them 7 days to only run me 2100 miles.
2. .44 cent per mile- without requiring/forcing haz-mat( only a 2.5-3 cent pay cut (per mile)<--but I'm thinking it will really be .43+.01 safety
3. the no haz-mat requirement
4. back to a real-- one on one Dispatcher!

other than that-- I'm expecting probably a equally LARGE CARRIER working enviroment-that means tons of rules/policies etc-- that I'm not going to like, stripped down trucks- with little to no comfort....
basically, 17th century British navy-- brutal & hard work.
short...short..hauls- 24 hour around the clock work-- but I think I can get the freight thrown on/off those dry vans( unlike 100% long loading/unloading with reefer).

Yes, I'm worried too--- it might not be the best time( given the economy) to be making a job change---- but, continuing with Crete Zone dispatch- 5 days worth of miles in 7 days out--- and not even "old school" math where
5 days would = 2500 miles! but New Industry math- where 5 days= 2200 miles! or less!

I tell you what-- I'll start reporting--- I'll even pop a prozac before writing----but If I suddenly abandon regular reports-- you'll know there's trouble!

Old 06-15-2008, 12:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Good luck to you borg

i also start with a new company next week

Let us know how Heartland plays out if you dont mind

Old 06-15-2008, 07:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by zipy46
Good luck to you borg

i also start with a new company next week

Let us know how Heartland plays out if you dont mind
Whom are you starting with zip?