Heartland

Old 06-16-2008, 01:50 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

#1) my experience --i.e. miles at Shaffer didn't seem to start NOSE DIVING until I started writing about them.
Unless it's a karma thing, your posting about a company shouldn't effect your miles.

#3) after 15 years of driving in this changing OTR industry-- I'm at best-- "jaded" and often cynical, pessimistic--- so sometimes even the "good" days don't get talked about ENOUGH.
Can't argue with that. I've got about 7 years in the industry and I get the same way through the recruiting end of it.

#4) You do know-- the admin here-- Twilight Flyer-- works for Heartland!
That doesn't matter. I typically don't respond to Heartland posts and I play by the rules. As long as you aren't violating T.O.S., you are free to post about your experience, good or bad.

#5) There are only 4 positive-- reasons I've made this change to Heartland-- instead of any one of the hundreds of other outfits.
1.- regional operation-- not giving them 7 days to only run me 2100 miles.
On average, you're going to be out about 5 days, home typically on the weekends. They promise you 3 out of 4 and if they don't get you home that one weekend out of the month, you'll usually be home during the week.

***snip***
4. back to a real-- one on one Dispatcher!
That one is a pretty decent bonus, according to a lot of drivers. It gives you and your dispatcher the chance to get the gears to mesh.

other than that-- I'm expecting probably a equally LARGE CARRIER working enviroment-that means tons of rules/policies etc--
Yep, there be rules and policies. With that many drivers, there's no other way.

that I'm not going to like, stripped down trucks- with little to no comfort....
Yeah, but the Pro-stars start hitting the fleet in a couple months. Granted, it'll be a while before you would get in one, but the drivers that tested them were pretty happy with them.

basically, 17th century British navy-- brutal & hard work.
short...short..hauls- 24 hour around the clock work-- but I think I can get the freight thrown on/off those dry vans( unlike 100% long loading/unloading with reefer).
Naw, it's not brutal work, but it's hard work...trucking is. Sure, you'll pull short and medium haul...that's what we do. All in all, it's trucking. Trucking ain't easy and everyone does it a little differently. Yeah, you can do well here...we have lots of drivers that make really, really good money and get home very regularly. Will every day be perfect? Hell, no. Trucking ain't wine and roses and as solid and well-positioned as Heartland is, it ain't wine and roses here, either. It's tough, but can definitely be rewarding. Face it with a good attitude, work and communicate with your dispatcher, and you should do just fine.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Senior Board Member

i would doubt a company knows who is who when it comes to the internet

and a truck forum.

unless of course they have some sort of tracking matrix in place. :shock:

they generally don't listen to their employees anyways

....so why should the net be any different ?

Freight does all the talking.

Making miles with a truck company appears to be a luck system

from my experience.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Senior Board Member

oooops

double post

:roll:

Old 06-16-2008, 05:07 PM
Board Regular

Originally Posted by headborg
Originally Posted by mbadriver
Headbord - Keep us posted on the Heartland Experience. Been thinking of signing on to their Columbus Regional run. Either them or Barr-Nunn Ohio Regional. This flatbedding is getting to be too much work!
I'd love to keep you all posted about the up-and-coming Heartland experience--- But,
#1) my experience --i.e. miles at Shaffer didn't seem to start NOSE DIVING until I started writing about them.
#2) the experience became even more NOSE DIVED-- After the "upper management" didn't like --- that I wasn't "happy" with the way things were "panning out".
Headborg - create a NEW ID on CAD. Wipe out your TIF's, cookies, and history. Then create a new ID from a public type ISP (wifi from a motel, wifi NY thruway etc.). Of course u also need a new username (preferrably not headburg!) and live, yahoo, google type email address with no secondary email linking back to your real email.

On the other hand if a company is wasting time reading driver complaints on internet forums, then they probably aren't that great of a company.

"He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer. I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humor. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub, then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away." -on meeting George W Bush at Thompson's Super Bowl party in Houston in 1974

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:10 AM
Board Regular

Indeed, if a company man wanted to hear comments about the company he worked for they would not lurk here as a guest and then try to cross reference posted load data to get the truck number to get the driver's info. They'd just walk outside and say "Hey what needs improving around here" Any driver with a gripe would let them have it with both barrels

Old 06-17-2008, 12:41 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Headborg - create a NEW ID on CAD. Wipe out your TIF's, cookies, and history. Then create a new ID from a public type ISP (wifi from a motel, wifi NY thruway etc.). Of course u also need a new username (preferrably not headburg!) and live, yahoo, google type email address with no secondary email linking back to your real email.
Yeah, but then I can match his IP on his new account and send Big Louie and Knuckles McGrew over there to rough him up and make him "talk nice."

Mwua ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

:twisted:

But in all seriousness, as I said, he has nothing to worry about on my end. If he comes to work for Heartland, he's more than welcome to post his thoughts and experiences, positive and negative, while he's here. As long as he keeps it within the terms of service, he has nothing to fear.

I hope most of his experiences are good and fair, but I must admit that I wouldn't call it a safe bet. He, himself, admits that he's somewhat jaded to the industry and while I can certainly understand and respect that, it tends to flavor experiences on the more negative side. Nothing against Headborg, but that's just been my experience and I would be the same way.

Anyway, I've been straight up and honest with him and he has been the same with me. So he's not coming into this blind...he knows what to expect. He's got a pretty good grasp of what Heartland is all about and hopefully, it'll all work out well for everyone.

Time will tell.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Senior Board Member

I talked with 5 Heartland drivers at a customer in Tampa Bay waiting to get unloaded (odd that 5 were there at the same time but thats trucking) and 4 were going to quit. They were staying out 5 days and getting 1,000 miles. All were regional out of Jacksonville so I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it probaly was something going on in Jacksonville. It's all a trade-off: more per mile with less miles equals less per mile and more driven. What do you want? I drive for a company now Mon-Fri with the weekend off but average 1600-1800 miles with all 300 or so shorthaul loads. Less money than over the road but guanteed home every weekend for 2 days and no headaches or frustration. Everyone needs to be realistic about what a company can or will do for you. Dont sign with a large company and expect to make $1,000/week and be home every weekend, its just not going to happen. Remember: with an LTL company your at the mercy of the frieght. They can do the best they can but if there is no load they arent going to deadhead you 300 miles to get one with $5 fuel. The company just cant survive doing that anymore.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:07 AM
Board Regular

Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
:twisted:

But in all seriousness, as I said, he has nothing to worry about on my end. If he comes to work for Heartland, he's more than welcome to post his thoughts and experiences, positive and negative, while he's here. As long as he keeps it within the terms of service, he has nothing to fear.

Anyway, I've been straight up and honest with him and he has been the same with me. So he's not coming into this blind...he knows what to expect. He's got a pretty good grasp of what Heartland is all about and hopefully, it'll all work out well for everyone.

Time will tell.

OK Flyer what are the employee's costs for Health Insurance at Heartland? Gimme the high low for the choices assuming family coverage. Finally, is the insurance worth a darn - or does a driver end up paying a boatload to cover the deductible? I am sure you have a benefits book so give us the 411 write from the Bible :wink:

"He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer. I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humor. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub, then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away." -on meeting George W Bush at Thompson's Super Bowl party in Houston in 1974

Old 06-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Rookie

heartland is full of crap. if any one decides to go with them. remeber where you unload at is where you will set until they send you then next load. the pay is rather crapy. they say hometime. how ever that is what they say. the truth is when it come time for you to go home they will cancel it on you. and you must send your hours of service in 3 times with every qual comm check in. and every time you stop for anything at all. they beep you wanting to know why you are stopping. the first company i have ever work for where you had to ask to stop and take a crap.. and here's how the pay works at heartland. you will work 8-9 days for $667. dollars... and they make you work every hour in your log book. so if you have an hour and a half left for the week to work,drive. they will make you work that time before going home.. and on the day you meet your disbatcher. you need to ask how old they are. and how much experience they have. and if you make a mistake with a load. then you are on your own to save your self. because your teenage disbatcher will hang you out to dry... if i were you. I would run the other way when heartland calls.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Board Regular

How long did you work for Heartland and where are you working now?

Originally Posted by matcro33
heartland is full of crap. if any one decides to go with them. remeber where you unload at is where you will set until they send you then next load. the pay is rather crapy. they say hometime. how ever that is what they say. the truth is when it come time for you to go home they will cancel it on you. and you must send your hours of service in 3 times with every qual comm check in. and every time you stop for anything at all. they beep you wanting to know why you are stopping. the first company i have ever work for where you had to ask to stop and take a crap.. and here's how the pay works at heartland. you will work 8-9 days for $667. dollars... and they make you work every hour in your log book. so if you have an hour and a half left for the week to work,drive. they will make you work that time before going home.. and on the day you meet your disbatcher. you need to ask how old they are. and how much experience they have. and if you make a mistake with a load. then you are on your own to save your self. because your teenage disbatcher will hang you out to dry... if i were you. I would run the other way when heartland calls.