Leaving Covenant for Knight Refrigerated

Old 06-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Rookie

Good point, now all I gotta do is figure out what I'm gonna do with my 14 inch tv and my 12volt cooler while i head to idaho falls.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Board Regular

Originally Posted by CharlesRosenow
Good point, now all I gotta do is figure out what I'm gonna do with my 14 inch tv and my 12volt cooler while i head to idaho falls.
I had a brand new flatscreen 14 inch tv, I left it in driver lounge, with a note saying New Driver Special... Free.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:15 PM

now all I gotta do is figure out what I'm gonna do with my 14 inch tv and my 12volt cooler while i head to idaho falls.

You could ease your co-drivers axiety and donater those things to his truck???

Old 06-22-2008, 11:37 PM
Rookie

Well leaving Covenant is a good thing but going to Knight is probably a worse idea. That is hands down the worst outfit I've ever drove for. I was out of the Lemont IL terminal. They want 2500 miles a week out of their drivers. I can say with confidence that the 4 months I drove there I only had two weeks that I went over 2000 miles. And thats with staying out on weekends to TRY and make money and not turning down loads. Average wait time for a new load was about 5hrs after delivering and sending in the empty call. Never preplaned like they said they would do. Stranded on weekends having to call the weekend dispatch cell phone. I still get a chuckle from thinking about the weekend dispatch person telling me "oh yeah sorry man I forgot about you, let me find you something." Are you serious? The per diem pay is a scam. Thirteen cents per mile taken off for per diem and only 11 cpm paid back on the net side. They keep 2 cents for "processing fees". Good luck trying to get off of per diem pay. They put me in the poor house. A 60 dollar paycheck for the week of Thanksgiving with my other paychecks averaging around $230 a week. I wish I would have seen that they have ties to Swift before I went there, otherwise I never would have. The nice red Pete's are just that, nice and red. Too bad Knight trans owns them.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:17 AM
Rookie

I second everything the above poster mentioned. I only stayed at the Katy terminal for 3 weeks with Knight.
Can I ask why you chose Knight? It can't be just because they called you. There are alot better companies out there that you can drive for, assuming your record is clean. You will be more relaxed, healthier, and generally a lot better off having your wife with you. I wouldn't be driving if mine wasn't riding shotgun You sound like a pretty decent guy and as far as how to let your partner know you are quitting.........
who would you rather keep happy.....your driving partner or your wife??
BOL whatever you choose......

Old 06-23-2008, 03:32 AM
Senior Board Member

In a way I would love to know what the deal with the Katy terminal is. If you do a web search for Knight on the net it seems the vast majority of people with complaints are the ones who were dispatched out of that terminal.

When I worked there most of the satisfied drivers seemed to come out of the KC, SLC, Indy and Charlotte terminals. Carlise and Lemont were just getting started when I was forced to come off the road for personal reasons.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:27 PM

I have driven for Knight Refrigerated for almost 2 years now out of the Idaho Falls terminal.
Although they are not a perfect company i am happy where I am, once you prove yourself to your dispatch and the terminal you can handle the job you have quite a bit a latitude to do your job. There are times when freight is slow but we are not really associated with the dry side. Most times I am already preplanned before I unload and I average good miles.

Rest assured you will be running heavy most of the time so make sure you are up to date on bridge laws and weight restrictions.
Home time is good. But of course you must give or take a day or two one way or the other to get you home. Remember freight is what gets you home and they will get you a load going to Washington. We have alot of outgoing freight out of Wash and a good amount of ingoing freight.

If you have any questions pls feel free to contact me about Knight Refrigerated I will tell you the good and bad side of things.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Rookie

I am working for KNIGHT dry van, and heve been driving for them since Dec. 1st. My first month was great. My second month my dm left and I got another dm. he was good for two weeks, but I then got another dm.
Needless to say I was pissed because my newest dm couldn't dispatch worth dirt. After three months with him, I talked with my last dm and he said he could get me miles. A week later I decided to stop being reactive, and got proactive. I told my division manager that I would go to 48 if I could get my last dm. All was agreed. Because of this move I have now gotten about 14,000 mile for June. I take any load, and deliver a local if I I'm at a terminal without an emty. I also will pick up any load that is already late, or save a load that was dumped by a driver that quit. I learnd that by delivering a local load that puts me to the top of the list.
I am now much happier driving with KNIGHT. I am also a happier person, because on another thread here someone said that sometimes we need to check our own attitude. When I put my attitude in check, I found that by changing it I could also change the way I look at driving, and the way I work and life around me. I am now earning more money per week than I have ever earned, and actually paying off a couple of debts. Even my parents and my buddy can hear the difference in not only my voice, but the way I am looking at driving. I am now rambling a bit, but REACTIVE = :sad: PORACTIVE =

Old 06-26-2008, 01:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by ZMDWEBE
...When I put my attitude in check, I found that by changing it I could also change the way I look at driving, and the way I work and life around me. I am now earning more money per week than I have ever earned, and actually paying off a couple of debts. Even my parents and my buddy can hear the difference in not only my voice, but the way I am looking at driving. I am now rambling a bit, but REACTIVE = :sad: PORACTIVE =
Good for you ZMDWEBE! 8)

Old 07-03-2008, 12:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by ZMDWEBE
I am working for KNIGHT dry van, and heve been driving for them since Dec. 1st. My first month was great. My second month my dm left and I got another dm. he was good for two weeks, but I then got another dm.
Needless to say I was pissed because my newest dm couldn't dispatch worth dirt. After three months with him, I talked with my last dm and he said he could get me miles. A week later I decided to stop being reactive, and got proactive. I told my division manager that I would go to 48 if I could get my last dm. All was agreed. Because of this move I have now gotten about 14,000 mile for June. I take any load, and deliver a local if I I'm at a terminal without an emty. I also will pick up any load that is already late, or save a load that was dumped by a driver that quit. I learnd that by delivering a local load that puts me to the top of the list.
I am now much happier driving with KNIGHT. I am also a happier person, because on another thread here someone said that sometimes we need to check our own attitude. When I put my attitude in check, I found that by changing it I could also change the way I look at driving, and the way I work and life around me. I am now earning more money per week than I have ever earned, and actually paying off a couple of debts. Even my parents and my buddy can hear the difference in not only my voice, but the way I am looking at driving. I am now rambling a bit, but REACTIVE = :sad: PORACTIVE =

Oh my god...I wish the non drivers who post these kind of messages would take the time to structure some propagana that isn't so obvious ...but this one is extra thick :wink:

Reply Subscribe