Crete is next to turn back their trucks

Old 06-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by evertruckerr
headborg wrote:

HELLO, since you've gotten off the hook on the FLORIDA ACCIDENT---
Unfortunately that is not the case for the driver. He was just sentenced to 7 years. I'm in Jacksonville today and it's plastered on the front page of every paper in town.

http://news.jacksonville.com/justin/...-deadly-crash/

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Looks to me, like the man received to short a sentence! He should have received LIFE X 7. !!!!!

Old 06-14-2008, 09:48 PM

[quote="mbadriver"]
Don't see any drivers volunteering to drive a hundred miles for free to make the dispatcher look good, or help the company.

It may not be one hundred miles, but the difference between shortest route map miles can be quite different from practical route miles.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:10 AM
Board Regular

Has Crete settled the civil cases? If so, how much?

Old 06-15-2008, 04:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by bigtimba
Has Crete settled the civil cases? If so, how
much?

I heard- 0- not a cent-- not even a charitable donation-- they hired enough lawyers-- and got off because it was a under age Minor driving the vehicle against the law-- the driver pleaded "no contest" because he couldn't afford a decent $$$$ lawyer--
did Crete offer to help him pay for one??????

He's now is spending 7 years in jail--- because he was popular- having personal relationship problems-- and the Police used his cell phone records to prove- he was AWAKE receiving/making phone calls for 34hours??? before coming on-duty driving.

So now, not only do you have to be "off duty"-- but you must now be able to "prove" you were asleep now-- and properly rested---- so I caution you to look at the new HOS guidance on-- dispatch sending repeated qual-com message traffic to YOU while you're resting on your 10 hour break----- the guidance indicates-- that 1 or so messages is ok-- but it suggests (as well as this court ruling) that repeated messages from dispatch( such as update your hours- what's your ETA--- can you do this..or that?<--- these kinds of messages sent to a driver while "resting" may require said driver to "look at a log book, update a log book, Trip Planning, figuring out routes and such<<---- all of which any lawyer could easily argue means ON DUTY-Not driving<<<thinking about Trucking is Work<<< hence you just interrupted your break.

Am I getting warm here?
How many times has that Qual com beeped and awake you during your "break"--
no if you were to have an accident---
do you think they will jail the dispatcher?

There's serious lessons to be learned here.

But, yes I agree, he had a Moral & professional responsibility to be rested and NOT drive when he knew he was in no shape to.

I think I would have came up with some story like-- I loaned my phone out- or my kid had it all night... I was home asleep.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:11 PM
gmh
Board Regular

My Qualcomm doesn't wake me up. That's what the volume control is for.

It does piss me off that I log either line 1 or line 4 while I'm waiting for a load offering, analyzing the offerings, checking the maps, writing down routes and directions, etc, etc, etc. It gets right into what the OTR haters complain about so vehemently.

But back to the original topic. I ran into some idiot last night who was bitching about Crete turning him down. It's totally insane, but I swear he said he was going to be losing $30/100 miles driven. He was so pissed off that I didn't even attempt to fix his trucker math. He's going to USX and has convinced himself that they won't be turning down their trucks.

Hope he enjoys it there; he sounds like a perfect fit.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by gmh

It does piss me off that I log either line 1 or line 4 while I'm waiting for a load offering, analyzing the offerings, checking the maps, writing down routes and directions, etc, etc, etc. It gets right into what the OTR haters complain about so vehemently.

But back to the original topic. I ran into some idiot last night who was bitching about Crete turning him down. It's totally insane, but I swear he said he was going to be losing $30/100 miles driven. He was so pissed off that I didn't even attempt to fix his trucker math. He's going to USX and has convinced himself that they won't be turning down their trucks.

Ran into a Crete driver at the Minooka Pilot who was telling me the same thing. He was so pissed off I walked away. He also said that his terminal manager was constantly sending him messages to slow down. Apparently Crete wants us to slow down to 62 whether your truck has been turned down or not. Ain't going to happen in my truck.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 06-15-2008, 10:27 PM
gmh
Board Regular

Same here. I'm hammer down for as long as I can enjoy it.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Where i used to work all the students that graduate and get there own truck will find it set to 62...

Alot of the old geezers I chatted with are prepaired to bail should they get their trucks turned back any further than 66.

(They once ran 68 to 70)

...just an observation

Old 06-16-2008, 03:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by gmh

why do you log line 1 or 4 while you're waiting for a load offer--
a) does your qualcom cord reach all the way outside your truck? do you stand in the rain waiting for those load offers?
b) do you never set in your sleeper and read your qualcom?

I'd certainly not burn my 70hrs by dropping to line 4 for reading a qualcom
message-- then again-- like I said-- FMCSA guidance #30, #31 addresses the issue of repeated satellite interruption of your break period-- so the solution is just don't read the repeated ones -- and that volume control--can be overriden from the office-- if they really want to get your attention--- but earplug rubber over the speaker+duct tape can fix that-- I knew another fellow that just hangs it out his window-- rolls the window all the way up until morning.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:36 AM

headborg.......just be careful, a smart lawyer might use the opti-idle against the drivers.....since it could wake you up and you loose your uninterrupted sleep!

Reply Subscribe