Crete is next to turn back their trucks

Old 06-16-2008, 04:07 AM
Board Regular

[quote="headborg"]
Originally Posted by bigtimba
Has Crete settled the civil cases? If so, how
much?

I heard- 0- not a cent-- not even a . . quote]

Who the heck did you hear that from? You must have heard a myth!

In the long run, the underage/illegal driver may have some miniscule impact on the outcome, but there will be a very big outcome . . 19 heavily lawyered defendants (at a minimum), no skid marks and the Crete Driver in the big house . . c'mon, now . .

Old 06-16-2008, 04:52 AM
Senior Board Member

[quote="bigtimba"]
Originally Posted by headborg
Originally Posted by bigtimba
Has Crete settled the civil cases? If so, how
much?

I heard- 0- not a cent-- not even a . . quote]

Who the heck did you hear that from? You must have heard a myth!

In the long run, the underage/illegal driver may have some miniscule impact on the outcome, but there will be a very big outcome . . 19 heavily lawyered defendants (at a minimum), no skid marks and the Crete Driver in the big house . . c'mon, now . .
I believe I heard it in some company annoucement-- because of being cleared and off the hook-- it freed up much of that Cash- Crete was hording-scrapping together( anticipating having to Pay out Mega damages) and allowed the go ahead on the New Big Knoxville Terminal Project. I could be 100% wrong- lord knows I've been wrong before.

But, you're right-- one would think that Wilkerson's being found guilty in the criminal trial-- would make Crete easy pray in a civil Judgement.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:56 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

But, you're right-- one would think that Wilkerson's being found guilty in the criminal trial-- would make Crete easy pray in a civil Judgement.
OJ would probably confirm that.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by unclehotte
headborg.......just be careful, a smart lawyer might use the opti-idle against the drivers.....since it could wake you up and you loose your uninterrupted sleep!
you know-- for a while there- I was actually hoping someone would have a fatigue related crash- and blame the Opti-idle for causing that fatigue- prompting the ban of that damn thing.

I just wish I had been recording the conversation with dispatch-- when he told me "after a month or two- you're be so exhausted from not ever getting a restful night"s sleep- you're be able to sleep through anything-- it just takes some time to reach that point and then you'll get used to it."

Old 06-16-2008, 05:06 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

when he told me "after a month or two- you're be so exhausted from not ever getting a restful night"s sleep- you're be able to sleep through anything-- it just takes some time to reach that point and then you'll get used to it."
Saddest part about that statement, is that it is so true. My occasional forays into truckstops only confirm this. It's like a bad B-movie with the zombies shuffling around. Straight out of the movie 'Midnight Express.' Sad.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by belpre122
when he told me "after a month or two- you're be so exhausted from not ever getting a restful night"s sleep- you're be able to sleep through anything-- it just takes some time to reach that point and then you'll get used to it."
Saddest part about that statement, is that it is so true. My occasional forays into truckstops only confirm this. It's like a bad B-movie with the zombies shuffling around. Straight out of the movie 'Midnight Express.' Sad.
Do you think there is a test to see if one has become a Zombie Trucker ?

How can one be sure that they have not already crossed over

into the zombie dimension ?

Old 06-16-2008, 06:05 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by zipy46
Do you think there is a test to see if one has become a Zombie Trucker ?

How can one be sure that they have not already crossed over

into the zombie dimension ?
Well, Zip. You won't know. Others around you are keenly aware of the transformation, but, you are too tired to acknowledge or care. You simply 'exist' in that dimension while life marches on without you.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:18 AM
gmh
Board Regular

HB, I meant line 1 or line 2, not 1 or 4. I must be turning into a zombie trucker. (Actually, given the lousy timing of loads and unloads for the past few days, I'm sure of it) I'm actually sitting here at a Sam's in Baton Rouge waiting for a load offer. I guess I'll call it line 2. (BTW, good consignee. They had me bump the dock. It was dark, so I was going to walk to the back of the truck to see if I hit it square. By the time I was opening the door to the cab, the light was red. By the time I walked 20 feet to receiver's office, the first pallet was coming off. And when I was done, the lady in charge said the next time I'm in town, 'call early' and if your company is the type to hassle you, I'll write in that you arrived on time. Sadly though, despite two days notice, monday morning EARLY, and an accurate PTA, I've sat on my bum for about 90 minutes already.)

Didn't know the home office could jack the volume up. However, should I be in a situation where I NEED that q-comm turned quiet and they pull a stunt like that, my usually calm demeanor will go right into the toilet in a heartbeat.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:44 AM
Senior Board Member

glad to hear from you George-- hey, what ever happened to your thread? you need to 'bump' it back to page one--- keep it going bud.

I might not be able to get on here for a while-- due to constant hard work here at Heartland- and the little fact that -- when Heartland recruiters say--
No INVERTERS--- they mean NO INVERTERS PERIOD--- the statement shouldn't be assumed to mean-- no BIG "wired in" inverters--- these guys don't even allow a small one that plugs into the cig lighter. So now I'm having to shop for a DC adaptor for a Toshiba I need 19volts 6.5amps. This can be done without the need to invert to AC.

So, no laptop in a Heartland truck-- now I'm glad I didn't already buy one of those RAM laptop mounts.

Actually, George-- just to be safe-- if you're IN the truck and not IN the sleeper reading those messages--- I'd definately not try to be "off duty"- due to the fact that being ON-Board the truck could mean On-duty, not driving-- unless you're in the sleeper.

Have a good night, and I'll see you later.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:45 PM

I was with a company who was set at 62 and years later they raised it to 65mph. And then acknowledge, there study concluded made no difference in mpg....LOL Someday soon the drivers will have the wheel back.. hang in there and remember what they asked and exspected of you.. Did they drive slower on there way home? did they sweat or freeze when they slept? Do imates have what we are told to do with out? Where is the LABOR board????? I get hit in the rear end doing 62 mph by Billy Big rigger, i will sue the comapny for putting me in that slam zone! I get sick I will use workmens comp... :twisted:

Reply Subscribe