Crete is next to turn back their trucks

Old 06-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by gmh
Originally Posted by Karnajj
Didn't fail to mention squat. APU's have no bearing whatsoever to this discussion.
The APU notification was in the same Qualcomm message. It has bearing because in addition to dropping our speed, they are installing APUs to help keep costs down in the long run. 2000 APU installs is a not insignificant expenditure.
You just don't get it. It has nothing to do with them turning down our speed from an income point of view. If you would have actually read my first post you would have figured that out all by yourself.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 06-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Karnajj....he did answer it.....drivers are going to lose about 30 minutes of productivity a day if they are willing to work a full 10 hours. I would say that as long as I had a job tomorrow morning I would be happy. Even if you only drive 450 miles a day for 6 days that is still 2700 miles for the week no matter how you slice it. The thing is, getting a driver to want to be productive during his available hours.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by Karnajj
On top of that I get a message from my terminal manager saying that I idled too much last week?
I spent two days in Houston with the temps in the 90's because there was no freight due to the holiday. What do they expect me to do? Go sit in the truck stop and stare at people for entertainment? Get a motel and not get compensated? Hook up to idle air and pay for it out of my own pocket? I don't think so.
If they possessed any sense of decency, they would have footed the bill for a hotel. Of course, that is out of the question. Now that the price of diesel fuel is finally a concern, these charlatans are finding it increasingly more difficult to mask their indifference to the driver's welfare.

The days of irregular-route coolie OTR trucking are quickly coming to a close. The end of artificially low fuel prices are forcing these coolie operations to take a REAL look at efficient logistics operations, or quickly fail.

Wave goodbye to the days of yuckin it up around the truckstop all weekend with a 500hp motor idling just to power your AC, CB. Or chasing empties for hundreds of miles. Not feasible any more.
It's over. The battlefield is already piling up with victims. The writing is certainly on the wall. Get out now.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:17 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

The days of irregular-route OTR trucking are quickly coming to a close.
You couldn't be more wrong. :roll: On the contrary, short to medium haul irregular route freight is what makes the best money...always has and always will. However, when fuel was cheaper, you could pull a profit from the long haul stuff. Now you cannot.

You're right, though, in that carriers have to look at becoming more efficient. And that's why you're seeing so many companies reduce truck speed.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Ask a long term Jevic driver if they could have been given the option several months ago to drive a 62 mph truck?

Old 06-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Senior Board Member

I just want to quote Paul Harvey......."And now the Rest of the Story....."

Old 06-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by bluebeetle
Karnajj....he did answer it.....drivers are going to lose about 30 minutes of productivity a day if they are willing to work a full 10 hours. I would say that as long as I had a job tomorrow morning I would be happy. Even if you only drive 450 miles a day for 6 days that is still 2700 miles for the week no matter how you slice it. The thing is, getting a driver to want to be productive during his available hours.
And 2700 miles a week is a joke. It is completely unacceptable and doesn't even come within a long shot of what I need a week to make it worth my while to stay out here for 4-5 weeks at a time. I also see that you didn't waste any time blaming the driver for a lack of productivity. Lets be real honest here, the freight situation at Crete sucks and has sucked for the last 6-8 weeks. Some way or another I was always able to get 3200-3400 miles a week, week in week out. I haven't seen that many miles in so long I can't remember. From waiting 60hrs in Rome,NY for a load offer to finally getting a 280 miler then having to wait another 24hrs to get a 310 miler and then having to wait another 24hrs to finally get a decent load. Unacceptable.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
The days of irregular-route OTR trucking are quickly coming to a close.
You couldn't be more wrong. :roll: On the contrary, short to medium haul irregular route freight is what makes the best money...always has and always will. However, when fuel was cheaper, you could pull a profit from the long haul stuff. Now you cannot.

You're right, though, in that carriers have to look at becoming more efficient. And that's why you're seeing so many companies reduce truck speed.
The problem with your line of thinking is that short-medium haul freight is not profitable to the DRIVER unless the company they drive for is willing to pass along some of the extra profit along to the drivers. Most compnanies are to greedy to do that.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:20 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

The problem with your line of thinking is that short-medium haul freight is not profitable to the DRIVER unless the company they drive for is willing to pass along some of the extra profit along to the drivers. Most compnanies are to greedy to do that.
There is no problem with my line of thinking. I would ask how you can claim it is not profitable for drivers? Whether you take five or six 400 mile loads or a couple of 1200 miles loads for the week, you're still running the same miles. So, it is going to fall back on your CPM and long haul carriers typically pay less. So your argument is not valid.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Board Regular

Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
There is no problem with my line of thinking. I would ask how you can claim it is not profitable for drivers? Whether you take five or six 400 mile loads or a couple of 1200 miles loads for the week, you're still running the same miles. So, it is going to fall back on your CPM and long haul carriers typically pay less. So your argument is not valid.
Some carriers have a split system in account that pays higher cpm for shorter runs like this example from Swift.

http://www.swifttruckingjobs.com/doc...ng%20Scale.pdf

So yes, some companies actually pass on the profit of shorter hauls to the driver. However some don't.

Reply Subscribe