Crete is next to turn back their trucks

Old 06-08-2008, 06:03 PM
gmh
Board Regular

Possibly, but usually when that happens, I get a message on the dash 'Active Faults 2'. I should post somewhere else on the forum asking about the thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if he makes that much.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by gmh
Possibly, but usually when that happens, I get a message on the dash 'Active Faults 2'. I should post somewhere else on the forum asking about the thing.

did you guys know that if the opti-idle indicator bulb burns out, your truck will not run? I found that out in the middle of the night one winter when I worked for Shaffer. the circuit runs through the bulb.. what a great idea!!

Old 06-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Board Regular

Originally Posted by gmh

If you are getting a fault message you are basically screwed until you get to a shop. I was having the same problem and had it taken care of in Columbus the other day, hopefully it will work for more than a week like it did the last time I had it fixed. The best you can do is set the trailer breaks and release the tractor brakes. The truck will idle for an extended time that way (30-40mins), at least it won't shut down every 5 mins.

If it's just the lightbulb (not likely with a fault message) you can pull out one of an unnecessary bulbs in the dash and switch them out.

[email protected]
Old 06-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by evertruckerr
Originally Posted by gmh

If you are getting a fault message you are basically screwed until you get to a shop. I was having the same problem and had it taken care of in Columbus the other day, hopefully it will work for more than a week like it did the last time I had it fixed. The best you can do is set the trailer breaks and release the tractor brakes. The truck will idle for an extended time that way (30-40mins), at least it won't shut down every 5 mins.

If it's just the lightbulb (not likely with a fault message) you can pull out one of an unnecessary bulbs in the dash and switch them out.
Sometimes I get those 'active fault' codes too-- usually HVAC not responding etc- when these 'active faults' are showing- there's no AC at all- I've found the problem lies with not activating the opti-idle 'comfort controls' in the sleeper-- or having the sleeper temp control set different from the cab AC controls on the dash--- that causes a 'no ac' issue--- they got the 'opti-idle' wired into everything-- real pain in the ass.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:34 AM
gmh
Board Regular

All the talk at the Columbus terminal earlier was about the switch and about the APUs. So much BS flying around I need hipwaders.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:34 AM
Board Regular

sounds like company men want you to think its a privilege to make 1000
dollars a week and visit your family once a month.
every one i know is local and most got their experience otr then got a life. i would not change for less than 1000$ a week and would make it now if i didnt take so many days off
people voted for change in the last election and now the party in charge has had a policy for 30 years of no oil production, envy of europeon fuel prices and wants to stop importation of oil too. it might be a tough 8 years

Old 06-09-2008, 01:49 AM

Oh yes......the good old days with the OPTI-IDLE.Hmmm....actually there WEREN'T good to begin with. Always trouble with the opti idle. Even after I knew how it was supposed to work....it NEVER did. And I had three different trucks at Shaffer in 1.5 years...EVERY ONE was unreliable when it comes to opti idle.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by Fredog
Originally Posted by gmh

did you guys know that if the opti-idle indicator bulb burns out, your truck will not run? I found that out in the middle of the night one winter when I worked for Shaffer. the circuit runs through the bulb.. what a great idea!!
Sorry, but mine has been burned out for six months and my opti-idle still works fine.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 06-09-2008, 02:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by Karnajj
Originally Posted by Fredog
Originally Posted by gmh

Sorry, but mine has been burned out for six months and my opti-idle still works fine.
maybe they wised up and changed it

Old 06-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Senior Board Member

The amazing thing about the posting that I stated that some have over looked is the numbers I posted were misunderstood. I stated that 2700 miles is what you would run in a 6 day period if all you drove was 450 miles a day. Then the pay was figured at $.40 cpm for those miles which would give you $1000 a week. Now then, if those miles were too few for you to do in a day, then communicate to your dispatcher that you are available and willing to run more miles or do things extra to stay productive other then stopping after you have driven for 6-7 hours a day. Case in point of one driver who left after deciding that sitting waiting for the load to the house for 3 days over running freight that would have paid him $175 a day. The last time I looked $525 was more then $0.

Your right though that sitting in a motel room is different then sitting in a truck. Everybody I know enjoys sleeping in a bed that has had several other people in it over sleeping in your own bed. Also, I don't have the DOT regulating my driving time so many times I am going over your allowed 11 hours of driving so many trips I am putting on miles that I wish I was getting mileage pay for. Example: 5 days 2300 miles seven schools. Do me a favor though, don't even begin to blast me for not understanding the lively hood of a truck driver. My dad drove for 42 years and though I only drove once (illegally with my brother for 40 miles), I know what it means to have your parent missing at football games, proms, birthdays and other important events and since I have been doing this for seven+ years, have missed several things that my children are involved in.

No you didn't strike a bad cord with me, I realize that just like everyother profession people like to state that they are the only ones who are overworked and underpaid and nobody gives a damn. The reason for this board was so that people could communicate about various trucking companies to help enlighten and keep the general trucking public informed. Sort of a CB radio with the cussing. I just wish that at some point either before you post or after you post, you contact your dispatcher/terminal manager/fleet manager or someone within your company to get the situation addressed so that the post will be helpful to others. Those at Crete Carrier/Shaffer Trucking and Hunt Transportation enjoy the opportunity having the ability for an open door policy.

Update on the APU's is that most will have the ability for 110 AC plug in for them. Will depend what type you get in your truck. They are looking at the first 100 going in by the middle to end of July. Not great planning, but we are having to wait until they can get manufactured and delivered.