Swift facing huge fines, could it be the end?

Old 06-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Board Regular

i see swift advertises in those recruiter propaganda mags you can be a "level 1 mentor " after 6 months and train newer drivers!
36 million was awarded the survivors of the family that was run over by swift. have not heard if they will appeal and drag it out for years.
alot of hostility is about big companies are ata members who have lobbyists in washington who push for deals to hurt small fleets and owner ops.
like mexican trucks and drivers, governers a national speed limit of 65 mph and all kind of good deals for swift.
my car gets 29mpg in overdrive at 78 mph so ata can set speed for their rookies and get off our back

Old 06-23-2008, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by homer
i see swift advertises in those recruiter propaganda mags you can be a "level 1 mentor " after 6 months and train newer drivers!
36 million was awarded the survivors of the family that was run over by swift. have not heard if they will appeal and drag it out for years.
alot of hostility is about big companies are ata members who have lobbyists in washington who push for deals to hurt small fleets and owner ops.
like mexican trucks and drivers, governers a national speed limit of 65 mph and all kind of good deals for swift.
my car gets 29mpg in overdrive at 78 mph so ata can set speed for their rookies and get off our back
Right. :roll:

Old 06-24-2008, 02:17 AM
Senior Board Member

A mentor after two months? I thought it was six? It did irk me just a bit that I was 'mentored' by an eight month driver when I first when to Swift, even though I already had two years of commercial driving time, with 18 of them being on a regional run. But he had been a flatbed driver, and I had to learn how to secure these things, so I tolerated it.

As for the Swift school in Millington, I don't think they actually own the land. I had to deliver some trailers there while my truck was stuck at the Memphis terminal, and I remember it being located within an inland Navy installation, and the area was still patrolled by SPs/MPs, which I doubt they'd do if they had sold off the land. Anyhow, I remember that there were some Navy trucks parked there, and some state vehicles in a separate, penned off area.. and I remember that they had International 9400s there, which I never knew Swift operated. But I couldn't tell you anything more about it, aside from passing by the golf course and a reserve center for an Army Reserve transportation company on the way in. I just delivered four trailers there, and was on my merry way.

Anyhow, all that aside, can anyone post a link to a story on this? I've done a web search, and have turned up nothing related to this story regarding Swift, the Tennessee Department of Safety (the agency which would grant the licenses) or the TNDOT (who I'm assuming were the owners of the state vehicles on that property).

Old 07-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Rookie

Not sure how $40 million or so will bankrupt Swift. I thought the original owner bought back company shares for something like $2 billion?

Old 07-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Senior Board Member

when a company gets as big as swift it would take an act of god to put them out of business.

Reply Subscribe