Flying J/Pilot tanker haulers....

Old 07-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Board Regular
Default Flying J/Pilot tanker haulers....

Does anyone know what either Flying J or Pilot start out their drivers at? Pilots website says potential to earn $52k a year but honestly is that what they start you out at?? Just wondering if it would even be worth applying for at either one of these places, thanks.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Wimpy. Pilot pays hourly. About 15.00 to start. Then overtime after 40. 4-5 12 hour shifts weekly.

I understand that Flying J pays "per load."

Easy work. Mostly diesel fuel. It is common for the hoses to be permanently attached at the tanks and hung up on 'trees.' Just clip 'em on the tanker and let 'er rip.

A friend of mine works for Pilot. I load with the J guys every day.
Work is consistent. Benefits are acceptable. Pay is not at the high end of the industry, but the work is some of the easiest in the fuel hauling industry. And again, is very consistent.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Rookie

what about coastal fuel hauler? anybody have any input?

Old 07-06-2008, 03:20 PM

Where I hauled gas and loaded,Pilot,Loves,and Flying J loaded at the same terminals and I believe they all got paid by the load,which wasn't bad.You know! I think I might just put my application in at all 3 and if I get hired the only time I'll be sitting at a truck stop is to drop fuel,not a whole week-end,then after 12 hrs I'll go home,sounds good to me.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by seadawg
You know! I think I might just put my application in at all 3 and if I get hired the only time I'll be sitting at a truck stop is to drop fuel,not a whole week-end[FOR FREE],then after 12 hrs I'll go home,sounds good to me.
It is good, real good.

Spoken like a true fuel hauler! Don't forget to wave goodnight to everyone enjoying the accomodations at the coolie campground on your way home daily!

Get out of the irregular-route coolie carrier OTR industry now! As that industry collapses, more and more drivers are finding themselves looking for employment. Don't be at the back of the line...

Old 07-08-2008, 02:42 AM

Matter of fact I talked to a Pilot driver the other day. I asked him how he liked his job on the radio and he said he loved it and wouldn't ever do anything else.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by belpre122
Originally Posted by seadawg
You know! I think I might just put my application in at all 3 and if I get hired the only time I'll be sitting at a truck stop is to drop fuel,not a whole week-end[FOR FREE],then after 12 hrs I'll go home,sounds good to me.
Spoken like a true fuel hauler! Don't forget to wave goodnight to everyone enjoying the accomodations at the coolie campground on your way home daily!
Now if you see a blue little Superior truck there know he is getting a good (paid) nights sleep. :lol:

Old 07-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Rookie

anyone know anything about energy dispatch? i know they are a dedicated career for raceway and racetrac stores only.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Rookie

will pilot train anyone without fuel hauling experience? i know flying j and loves will train.