Covenant Transport

Old 07-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Default Covenant Transport

Looking for information from current drivers about Covenant Transport. I used the search feature with little luck. I have tentatively been scheduled for Orientation beginning the 21 July following review of all documentation. After my job hopping and being out of the truck since last September they are giving me a chance. Many companies wouldn't look at my app because I had too many jobs in too short a period. There placing me in the 38 state solo division following a three day refresher course. Any current/former drivers out here in WWW land I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:16 PM

Guess all the drivers are too busy driving and making money to answer this one, LOL. Anyway, I begin Orientation in Chattanooga on the 21st. Also a four day driver refresher beginning on Thursday. Not sure what the refresher will do in four days, but I'm ready, willing and able. Just nice to get back to work.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Jim,
It may be because there is so much information already in the archives regarding Covenant.

Most of it is not too flattering. I am aware of your situation. If that is what will get you back behind the wheel, and you are willing to stick it out, it may be what you need in your particular circumstance.

If it works out great. If not, you have at least re-oiled your chain and can get back to doing what you want to.

Good Luck!

Old 07-15-2008, 08:46 PM

Yes I have found some posts on here that don't speak of Covenant in the "most flattering" terms. Most of what I found was disgrunted ex-drivers and I was really hoping to here from someone who is actually still driving for them. These boards are good, but many times it seems the only people posting are ones with a beef against a company. I had a tough time getting back behind the wheel and irregardless I have to stick with them to improve my resume and longetivity with employers. Thanks for the input and I'll let evryone know how things work out.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Board Icon

A lot of the info is legit Jimbo. I know 2 guys near me quit from them a while ago. The one was sitting 2-3 weeks at a time at home. Other times he would just get 2 days off and be gone for a week or 2. That tells me the miles were way too inconsistent. Got the a point where he was sitting at home 2 weeks and going out for 3 days and then he went O/O with Landstar. The other driver was a little more consistent but not much and he was gone way before the guy above.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:15 AM

Thanks Mr. Ford. You too belpre. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone sitting for two -three weeks. That's down right depressing. With the economy mostly down and fuel prices trying to leave orbit, I don't expect 3000 miles a week. I am fortunate to have a good wife with her own career and I retired in 2004 from the Feds (Bureau of Prisons). Many may wonder why in the heck I'm even considering a career in trucking. The fact of the matter is I have ex-wife which ate up most of my retirement. Getting divorced in Illinois really sucks if your married over ten years. I have no desire to return to corrections at a state facility for 10 dollars an hour and have more feces thrown at me, or worse. I also do not intend on having my wife support me for the next twenty odd years. The idea of being a "Walmart associate" really turns my stomach. The kids are out on their own and doing well,. It's time I got back on the ball and did my part.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:52 AM
Rookie

I see it this way, after 8 1/2 years in OTR, 3 1/2 out, and now about a year back in it: I've spent time with about 6 different companies, including a few of the least popular ones (at least according to the posts on CAD). I'm currently with Schneider, and they've treated me very well. Two of my shortest stints were with CR England (3 months), JB and US Express (both about a month, though over 7 years ago). JB and US I left because of poor miles. England I simply hated.

However, every company is right for someone. Even the "bad" ones have drivers with 10, 15, 20 years or more, and they've stayed for a reason.

Find a company that works for you. Good luck!