Fedex Ground ?

Old 07-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Rookie
Default Fedex Ground ?

Anybody here leased with Fedex ground .I can't find any details on theirs website.
Any info would be appreciated ...

Old 07-15-2008, 06:47 PM
Rookie

My brother and I used to lease with them. They don't pay that great on miles .95 cpm (i believe, can't quite remember), but if their fuel price is still the same you only pay $1.249 per gallon at their terminals. Now the mileage varies from week to week, one week you may run 4500miles but the next you might run barely 3000. This is team driving I have not exp. as a solo. Take in mind it all depends where you're going to be dispatched from. We were dispatched from charlotte nc and some weeks it was hard to get started, then you have to rush to get to your terminal destination to get your truck number put on the list and wait till they load the trailers to see where you're going next (no preplan) get there first go out first.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Rookie

Let me add this, if you're truck is already payed for, or you have a very low payment then you can make money. Right now is the time to get in if you can because after christmas it's a rough 2-4 months until late April when things pickup again. I won't deny I like my 6 months there, drop-and hook, but couldn't stand having to wait up to 28 hrs (that's the most we ever waited at Rialto Ca) for a load. It all depends what terminal you going to and how many trucks are waiting ahead of you that are going the same direction you want to go.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:01 PM
Rookie

Appreciate the info gondi....
Honestly I am a little hesitant about pulling doubles but I like that terminal to terminal thing .See them a lot where I live ( Cincinnati) also I see a lot of daycabs I am not sure what they do .I guess I will have to check the area see if I can find terminal or something ..

Old 07-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Rookie

Daycabs and some sleepers are solo drivers, they run a lil bit different and go to cust. spots picking up trailers if i'm correct. Pulling doubles isn't as bad as it seems, after your first trip you should have a feel of how they move( actually turns better than a 53). The only thing is when it's windy or icy you do feel that back trailer moving around. The closest terminal (main hub) I went to in Ohio is Columbus. I don't know if they got one in Cincinnati (prob. do but a small one and it's harder to get dispatched from). You'll prob. have to talk to a recruiter about that.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Rookie

I should've asked this before, but are you thinking about driving solo or team?

Old 07-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Rookie

I want to drive solo and I would not mind Columbus because it is not that far away.I guess I would need hazmat too and I do have doubles on my license .I guess I would have to get use to doubles .Can you tell me from your experience how they treat drivers and overall about safety :?:

Old 07-15-2008, 10:54 PM
Rookie

No need for hazmat. Overall the dispatchers treat you good, every now and then you'll find a couple of a-holes. I'm not familiar with how the solo operations are run though. Solo drivers get back to their home terminal every day, but they do seem to do more waiting around at the terminal to start the day until you get an assigned run. If you're interested in Fedex Ground, you should try to find a current operator at your terminal that's selling his truck number, that way that truck number will have more seniority. The more seniority the more chance to be able to bid on a route.