Great Debate, TMC vs Maverick vs Boyd

Old 07-25-2008, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by downriverrob
how bout melton? they seem like a prety good outfit. always loaded and moving from what i can see.
Melton requires some experience, 6 months if I remember right and he is straight out of school...But they are a pretty good company from what I have heard. They used to run pretty much all KWs, but now I see some Freight Liners and Petes.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:15 AM
Rookie

hey jerrod i have a question. Sorry to but in guys, but are yuo hiring out of michigan? what is the hometime/defintion of a driver who lives south of I-96 just west of Grand Rapids, MI and are there any dedicated routes in that area. Thanks for any help Jerrod and again appologizing for cutting in on the thread.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Rookie

I just went through the training program, and we had a few people from MI there, so i would say that they are hiring. Dont know bout any dedicted or anything else for up there though. The website is TMCTRANS.COM I believe they have a map of their linehaul area on that.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:40 PM
Rookie

thanks slo4sho, but the map doesn't show up very well when i expand it and the map doesn't define it well. The thing that makes me wonder is i am so close to the blue area. thanks for the help.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:32 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: TMC

The only way the guys at Joplin will jump your case, is if you come into the terminal acting like a jerk! I never had an issue with those guys, and never had an issue with the interior of my truck. Although, I have a higher level of discipline and pride than some!

About the only thing the guys at Joplin would use a black light for, is to look at the cool poster from "The Boyz"! :-)

A new, fresh out of school driver, has every opportunity to make as much money as an experienced driver on the percentage plan! If they take care of business! I believe mileage pay for a new driver is around .28 cpm, compared to .38 plus for experienced drivers.

My numbers may be off, been gone about a year! The percentage based percentage pay, a new driver starts at 26 %, and by their first snapshot can easily by at 28 - 30 percent, if they apply what they have been taught! A loafer will be stuck in the low percentages, a motivated hand, can get up to the top quick!

Linehaul drivers work their tales off during the week, but the prize is getting home nearly every weekend! You have to communicate with your fleet manager, to make things happen!
Long Haul - can get home every other weekend, schedule is a little more relaxed, but the earning potential more than that of the linehaul drivers. Well, let me correct that, some running regions have higher rates than ohers. The drivers from the Northeast and Middle of the country have slightly higher rated loads than the drivers from the south and southeast! So if you live in the North and Northeast part of the country, the earnings potential is higher than longhaul. Drivers from the lower part of the country will average higher on the longhaul division than linehaul, do to the great difference in rates from north to south! Run up north for a week and a half, and then have your FM route you south to get home!

Anyway, have to quit for now, have a EmComm net to participate in!

Good Luck

Originally Posted by jerod
Hello, my nam,e is Jerod and I am a recruiter at TMC and just wanted to address a couple of things. first, we pay $500 a week for orientation and each week with a trainer for EXPERIENCED OTR driver coming in here, $350 a week is for students coming straight from a CDL school. Also, we dont go overboard with inspecting the inside of the trucks, drivers here are expected to treat their trucks with respect and always act professional. I have never heard about any black lights being taken in the trucks. A truck has to be pretty messy inside for a driver to get written up. Also, TMC is always looking for drivers on te eastern half of the country, not because we have high turn over, because we need drivers to haul freight there. I hope that clears up a few things. thanks

Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 07-29-2008, 02:32 AM

id go with maverick speciallized all over again, if i had to

Old 07-29-2008, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by smokdu
id go with maverick speciallized all over again, if i had to
Wanna do us a favor and shrink that HUGE avatar?

Old 07-29-2008, 11:32 PM
Rookie

Originally Posted by married to the road
Originally Posted by downriverrob
how bout melton? they seem like a prety good outfit. always loaded and moving from what i can see.
Melton requires some experience, 6 months if I remember right and he is straight out of school...But they are a pretty good company from what I have heard. They used to run pretty much all KWs, but now I see some Freight Liners and Petes.
I just got off the phone with Melton and they told me 3 months experience in the past 4 months. Rules them out for me.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Rookie

Hello everybody, I am a newbie to this industry and over the next year I will be looking to get my foot in the door. I am currently in the military (NAVY) and will be separating at my EAOS. At that time I will be looking at starting a new career in the trucking. I have been doing alot of research and TMC seems to be a good company, i mean from the posts that I have read on here, not too many complaints. I see alot of TMC trucks on I-95, I see alot of Maverick trucks as well but, have not really researched them that much. If I had to choose one of those companies I would probably go with TMC.

Reply Subscribe