Great Debate, TMC vs Maverick vs Boyd

Old 07-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Default Great Debate, TMC vs Maverick vs Boyd

Is there really a difference between these 3 flatbed companies? I would think that they would all pretty much handle the same freight, maybe in different regions of the country, but all of them seem to offer pretty much the same pay, hometime, benefits, and opportunities.

Are there any current of former drivers for these companies that can shed some light on possible differences and maybe wish one is the best of the three. Please consider that I'm a newbie and exploring all aspects of the business before making the leap, which will be taking place soon and I don't mean leaping into traffic.... But I've always thought flats would be the way I'd want to go.

Thanks

Old 07-23-2008, 04:05 PM
Rookie

It all depends on you, remember as a rookie yo will not make a pile of mney. Comig ot of school yo really don't know how to drivea truck all tey teach you is how to get your CDL. You learn ho drive a truck whie you a out ther withyour trainer.
That being said her is some food for thought Maverick has mostly auto
Tranies but pays you $500 per week in traing. TMC only pays you $360 per week but has an excellent tainig program. Really don't know much about Boyd. Hope this helps

Old 07-23-2008, 04:20 PM

Drill,
Thanks for the info and that $500/wk figure is what Millis Transfer starts out at for newbies for weeks 1 and 2, then increases, but that's for Van running. I understand what you're saying about being taught to get my CDL versus learning how to drive a rig. I've given this alot of thought and the flats seem to offer better hometime to their drivers, which is equally important to me as the pay is, and in flats it does seem to be better.
I'm going to be getting my trainning at a community college that does say they have flats to learn on, but I don't know how much possible freight securement and tarping they may get into....Looking forward to finding out though...

Old 07-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Rookie

I to went to a local community colge course, 10 weeks long, 8 hours a night, 4 nights a week. At the end of th course the were still student havig trouble shiftig. Point is they rally don'thave much time to teach yanthing else other than diving skills.
I am a gas hauler so really don't know much about skate boarding.
Withthat being said I took a serios look at TMC. The first 2 weeks is nothing butload securement taing.
My situation was a lttle different thanyours becuse when I was in school I was still in the Army. When I started trai I ws using upunfinished vacation time from the Army. So Icould afordto take a little less money
BOL

Old 07-23-2008, 07:25 PM

Drill,
I totally understand what you're saying and if I was single, even at my age, I'd have my financial situation set so that I also could take less to start out. That said, I'm not loosing my family by doing this but at the same time I don't want my wife worrying needlessly about the financial life we share. Just looking out for all the people in my life, and that also includes myself, meaning that this has been a dream of mine for a long time and I going to move forward with it...

Old 07-24-2008, 03:44 AM
Senior Board Member

There is no debate, TMC is the only way to go.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:56 AM
Senior Board Member

http://www.driveforboyd.com/company_....html#students

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.
Mother Teresa

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. CHESTERTON

"Qui non intelligit aut discat aut taceat"
Who does not understand should either learn, or be silent.
The Mark Levin Show
Old 07-24-2008, 04:01 AM
Board Regular

Originally Posted by wsclinger
Drill,
I totally understand what you're saying and if I was single, even at my age, I'd have my financial situation set so that I also could take less to start out. That said, I'm not loosing my family by doing this but at the same time I don't want my wife worrying needlessly about the financial life we share. Just looking out for all the people in my life, and that also includes myself, meaning that this has been a dream of mine for a long time and I going to move forward with it...
TMC offers the best flatbed training in the business. Even though the training pay is a lil less than Maverick, TMC offers you the percentage pay option after you are on your own and that will allow you to make top dollar wages as a rookie driver. Also, TMC operates a damn nice fleet of equipment. Their trucks are equipped with manual trannys where Maverick runs all automatics. I would rather become proficient with the manual tranny as a rookie that way if you move on to another company down the road you will never have to relearn to shift gears after driving an automatic for years. TMC, also has many dedicated runs that seem quite lucrative to stay closer to your home area if you decide to go that route down the road. I personally like the fact TMC puts their drivers in the best trucks on the road. On a side note, Maverick, usually has quite a waiting list to get into there program and then start training. I dont know much of anything about Boyd Bros. None of these seem too bad, but I would go with TMC before any others. I just think they treat there drivers top notch. Best of Luck to ya, andplease let us know where you end up at! Maybe start a training thread like others here for us to keep up with ya!

Old 07-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

My cousin has been at Maverick for 18 mos now and he has been treated very well. He really likes it there. I did flatbed for a year and both Maverick and TMC are good choices.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:17 PM
Rookie

Some more food for thought. by the time you go through your CDL course and Company trainng program it will be almost November to Mid December. Tucking gets slow that time of year and doesn't pickup until mid Febuary. It wold be best to time your CDL course so that you graduate aroud Chritmas and Start your Company Traing the first of the year. This will alow your trainer to work on the thigs you are strugglnig
with and when freight pcks up you will be ready to rock and roll

Reply Subscribe