Headborg - Questions about Heartland Express

Old 07-31-2008, 11:43 PM
Rookie
Default Headborg - Questions about Heartland Express

Headborg, are you still liking Heartland?

I am set to go to orientation in Carlisle PA on August 11.

I like that they claim they will get me home every couple weeks. Has this turned out to work for you? That is a big issue for me because hubby gave his blessing but would like to see me once in awhile :wink:

Do you do a lot of dock bumping, is there a lot of drop and hook? How are the places you deliver to and pick up at? Pretty good - read - not a double S curve backwards down an alley to a hole in the ground. Been there done that and it sucks. :roll:

Are you getting the miles you thought you would?

I tried reading the other thread and it is soooo lengthy I thought I'd holler here and just ask you.

Anyway, give me the skinny. I think this company will work for me. I am hoping so anyway.

Anything else you can give me heads-up on is appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 08-01-2008, 02:26 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Headborg - Questions about Heartland Express

Originally Posted by keeptruckin
Headborg, are you still liking Heartland?
I'm trying to stay professionally detached/ none emotional from my work/ relationship with my employer-- thus far I neither love or wish them dead.

I am set to go to orientation in Carlisle PA on August 11.

I like that they claim they will get me home every couple weeks. Has this turned out to work for you?
hmmm, if they've told you " every couple weeks" then I guess that might describe the secret intent of their "regional" program. Or if you're signing on as a SYSTEM driver-- might be right.

That is a big issue for me because hubby gave his blessing but would like to see me once in awhile :wink:

Do you do a lot of dock bumping, is there a lot of drop and hook? How are the places you deliver to and pick up at? Pretty good - read - not a double S curve backwards down an alley to a hole in the ground. Been there done that and it sucks. :roll:
plenty of drop/hook, although I'm thinking there's going to be plenty of multi-drop live unloading with their Sears account and other multi-stop live driver assist unloading to come in near future. All of which, when combined with hours of setting in INSPECTION lanes will contribute to reduced mile achievement potential.
But some very nice names on this customer list-- some very driver friendly freight-- so really it will all depend on luck or how well you get along with dispatch-- what kind of combination of loads you get-- I can see where some unlucky people could get very disappointed quickly if they got several of these "not so" great loads thrown on them- back to back.
As far as bad locations-- I just had a bad one-- a mom & pop janitorial supply in Florence-- driver assist unload/ floor load + you have to back through a busy 4 lane intersection do a s-wiggle into their dock on the side of building( building sets on corner of above intersection, when done your tractor sticks out and blocks 1 of the 4 lanes of traffic.

Are you getting the miles you thought you would?
When I'm out here longer than I expected-- yes, but when bracketed between 2 home times(i.e. weekends) it's looking more like 1800 miles instead of 2100-2200.
I tried reading the other thread and it is soooo lengthy I thought I'd holler here and just ask you.

Anyway, give me the skinny. I think this company will work for me. I am hoping so anyway.

Anything else you can give me heads-up on is appreciated.

Thanks!
I will only answer direct questions; as I tend to go "negative" too easy-
and I don't want to "damage" or shot myself in the foot again.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:25 AM
Senior Board Member

I thought about you yesterday as I got into this p.o.s. International half a sleeper truck and drove to Central California to pick up produce.

They have the worst clutch brakes I have ever seen.......

Old 08-01-2008, 03:28 AM
Rookie
Default Re: Headborg - Questions about Heartland Express

I'm trying to stay professionally detached/ none emotional from my work/ relationship with my employer-- thus far I neither love or wish them dead.

Well I guess that's something isn't it? :wink:

hmmm, if they've told you " every couple weeks" then I guess that might describe the secret intent of their "regional" program. Or if you're signing on as a SYSTEM driver-- might be right.

I am going to be System or OTR, not regional. They told me 10-14 days out and 2 in, almost always on weekends is what they say, and usually under load hence no dropping of trailers. But can take tractor/trailer home.

plenty of drop/hook, although I'm thinking there's going to be plenty of multi-drop live unloading with their Sears account and other multi-stop live driver assist unloading to come in near future. All of which, when combined with hours of setting in INSPECTION lanes will contribute to reduced mile achievement potential.

Oh man, well....sitting in inspection lanes can be a pain but also can be a good thing, IF they actually find stuff wrong and FIX it.

But some very nice names on this customer list-- some very driver friendly freight-- so really it will all depend on luck or how well you get along with dispatch-- what kind of combination of loads you get-- I can see where some unlucky people could get very disappointed quickly if they got several of these "not so" great loads thrown on them- back to back.

I see your point. I think everyone has to have some "not so" great loads once in awhile. I just hope they aren't the rule, but rather the exception.

As far as bad locations-- I just had a bad one-- a mom & pop janitorial supply in Florence-- driver assist unload/ floor load + you have to back through a busy 4 lane intersection do a s-wiggle into their dock on the side of building( building sets on corner of above intersection, when done your tractor sticks out and blocks 1 of the 4 lanes of traffic.

Oh lordy me, I do hate those so much! Been there done that. I remember this one in Miami, where the nose of the truck was in one lane and traffic was going around me. But all the Miami people were nice and waving and smiling so I guess they were used to seeing that.

When I'm out here longer than I expected-- yes, but when bracketed between 2 home times(i.e. weekends) it's looking more like 1800 miles instead of 2100-2200.

So you are regional then? Am I understanding this right?

I will only answer direct questions; as I tend to go "negative" too easy-
and I don't want to "damage" or shot myself in the foot again.

Well I do appreciate the response. Thanks again!