Rookie could use some veteran advice

Old 08-07-2008, 01:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by LeBron James
Originally Posted by headborg
A guy( like myself) can make 60K in one of these 'dead-end' jobs OTR.
Working how many hours? How much time spent in the truck away from friends/family? How many weekends and holidays on the road?
I think we have all covered/answered your questions and know what's generally involved in OTR trucking...

The end of year-- gross taxable income is still important-- when considering if it's worth "re-locating" to take a JOB.

What do oil field workers/ CDL drivers make -- per year? reguardless of if they are home every night or not.

It's not a trick question.... I know how HARD -- that kind of work is.

Heck, If I were younger and in better shape-- I'd consider -- Off shore, oil platform work. Those guys make big $$$ after a while.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:31 AM
Senior Board Member

here's an ad i found........

T & T Transports, Inc Pay Package:

Average over $1400 a week to start!
Start at $14 per hour with a raise every 6 months!
Average 80 - 100 hours per week!
CALL
TODAY
866-456-5289

Paid time-and-a-half for all hours over 40!
$30/day for meals – Paid lodging
Paid 48cpm for travel to and from home to work location
Paid regular hourly rate for travel to district
Additional Information:

3 weeks out in the field, 1 week home
Bi-weekly Paychecks & Expense Checks
Direct deposit
$500 Referral Bonus
Quarterly safety awards
Health and Life Insurance

not pretty............ :shock:

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.
Mother Teresa

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. CHESTERTON

"Qui non intelligit aut discat aut taceat"
Who does not understand should either learn, or be silent.
The Mark Levin Show
Old 08-08-2008, 03:21 AM
Senior Board Member

HeadBorg;

Let me get some specifics before I answer you question about 90K/yr.

I can tell you that many of the OFS driving jobs pay very well; some are more specialized than others. Do be advised that the hours can be horrendous, and some of the work does get very physical.

Do you have any experience in drop decks, oversized loads, or tankers??

We are very active in East/Central Texasand Oklahoma, and Arkansas is on our horizons. I handle East/Central Texas, and the cost of living is surprisingly low. I just looked at a place that I can get for 250K, (17.3 acres, 2250sft, 4/2.5/3 3 well maintained and stocked fishing ponds, separate garage, an 1800sft. work shop, barn, and magnificent landscaping.... they'll also throw in a Kubota tractor that's less than 3 yrs. old!!

You could not touch a similar place where I live (Canyon Lake, Tx.) for a dime under 850K, and that would be getting it cheap!!

Anyway, I'll be heading back out there, most likely this coming Sunday. We'll be starting another well up there next week, and I'll do some talking with some of the drivers.

I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by headborg

The end of year-- gross taxable income is still important-- when considering if it's worth "re-locating" to take a JOB.

What do oil field workers/ CDL drivers make -- per year? reguardless of if they are home every night or not.

It's not a trick question.... I know how HARD -- that kind of work is.

Heck, If I were younger and in better shape-- I'd consider -- Off shore, oil platform work. Those guys make big $$$ after a while

Headborg;

You are right about that!!

The drilling company that we contract with is a good company, and they offer good benefits, They are not the highest paying drilling company by any means, but their rate of turnover is surprisingly low.

BTW: EVERYBODY LISTEN UP!!
Their biggest cause of turnover resulting from terminations is FAILED DRUG TESTS!!

One of their drillers just turned 23 y/o, has just under 5 yrs. of O/F experience, and made over 80K last year.... this year, he's on target to hit 100K.

Bear in mind, this is inland drilling, not off shore. Off shore tends to pay considerably better, but it has a tendency to be more dangerous.

Reply Subscribe