Rookie could use some veteran advice

Old 08-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Rookie
Default Rookie could use some veteran advice

I am new to trucking 3 months OTR last years and 8 months local this year. Local job folded so back OTR. No work in my home town except maybe fast food or something. Any how I really don't mind driving and realize from reading posts on this and other message boards all companies are good/bad. I have heard it all from recruiters. I went to one company’s orientation last month only to walk out and return home, to many untruths. I also went to check out a company’s operation closer to home that had prehired me only to see that what was said on these message boards was true, their equipment was old and junky. I know I’m new and have to start out on the bottom rung of the ladder but there are three things I am looking for in a company. One is clean, good and reliable equipment is a must. My wife says I have a mental disorder because I constantly clean the house, cars and yard. I can’t stand dirt, dust, clutter or a mess. I have to have something nice to drive, not brand new although that would be nice but very nice. The second is miles. If I’m going to be away from home I guess I want to run hard. Two to four weeks out is ok, my kids are grown and I’ve been married 20 years last month. Three is respect and good communication from the company. I say that sarcastically but I don’t want to be treated as pond scum and they don't have to kiss my hide section either. Just be fair and polite. I would like to go reefer due to the economy, everyone still has to eat, or flatbed because I have always exercised and tarpping is more than nothing. Sorry this is so drawn out but I would like your opinions on three companies that told me to call back this week to set something up. They all start me out around the same per mile .27 to .32. I know that’s a big difference but .50 per mile sucks if there are no miles. Good equipment, miles to run and to be treated fairly, I’ll deal with the rest. Hear are my choices, don’t laugh but any real experiences will be helpful thanks. :lol:
Reefer
1. Stevens
2. Trans Am
Flatbed
1. Western Express ( I can go van with them as well)

Old 08-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Senior Board Member

For flats you may also want to consider http://www.pgtlikefamily.com/codrivers.php

Paid on percentage (which I prefer) and the benefits are excellent.

Fleet consists of WELL maintained International 9400i but which is in the process of being replaced with ProStars.

They a got few too many Freightliner Cascadia's which were originally ordered for a dedicated team contract of which I got put in one of the "extra's" Friday 8) ...

Old 08-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Default Re: Rookie could use some veteran advice

Originally Posted by slipperyjim88
1. Stevens
2. Trans Am
Flatbed
1. Western Express ( I can go van with them as well)
All those companies blow. And that's not just because I've got a chip on my shoulder in regards to the industry, either (gee, do ya think?). They all really do BLOW!!! :lol:

If there's no jobs where you live then move to an area with better employment prospects. Load up the family truckster and head on down to Oklahoma or Texas where the oil patch is booming right now. Guys are getting hired-on down there with little experience at $30.00/hr. In fact, there's LTL companies offering $3,000 sign-on bonuses because everyone's driving for the oil companies.

Or look for better skateboard outfits (no, NOT Trans Am). Flatbeds took at dump when the housing market went bust but those guys are busy now for two reasons. One is that the weak US dollar is increasing exports such as steel and two is that the drilling and mining companies are going hog-wild now. So if you don't mind lumping tarps around, strapping, chaining etc then that might be a good place to hitch your wagons to.

Reefer? Too much BS if you ask me. And while it's true people gotta eat, when times go bad they shift their spending away from restaurants and eat more home cooked meals. So if the company you pull for has alot of accounts with restuarants, you might see a slowdown there.

Happy Trails!!

Old 08-05-2008, 02:11 AM
Board Regular
Default http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=34868&am

LeBron is telling U way it is,

Stevens trans is A game Outfit, They like to run there games on UnKnowing People, Same for TransAm keep Ya when they say you can Go home & want little Perks from there Drivers after you have been gone long,& if U refuse They threaten to fire Ya & send A Bad Rap on Ya to DAC to show Ya how much they Appreciate your devotion! W/E Well they like to run there truck Illegal A Lot! 8) :?: U can Do Better- He might be talking about Gemini Sales, Red Trucks.new Reefers out of NJ with A Terminal in Dallas Ft/W area, Raider Express is supposed to A decent reefer Co out of Ft, Worth. 8) :idea:

Old 08-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Senior Board Member

SlipperyJim:

It would be helpful if we knew where you lived, if you are willing to relocate, and where you might be willing to relocate, if needed.

I have not worked for the companies you mentioned, and I've been out of driving for a while now, but from what I've heard, both Steven's and Trans-Am are the pits.

Whatever you do, if you are going to run OTR, you are most likely going to have to suck it up for a while, until you get some more OTR experience behind you.

As LeBron said, the oil field (actually, most of the drilling is for natural gas!!) in Texas and Oklahoma are booming, Arkansas is also getting very hot, and this trend will continue for at least the next 20 yrs. It is also true that O/F Service companies are screaming for drivers.

BOL2U

Old 08-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by Useless
SlipperyJim:

It would be helpful if we knew where you lived, if you are willing to relocate, and where you might be willing to relocate, if needed.

I have not worked for the companies you mentioned, and I've been out of driving for a while now, but from what I've heard, both Steven's and Trans-Am are the pits.

Whatever you do, if you are going to run OTR, you are most likely going to have to suck it up for a while, until you get some more OTR experience behind you.

As LeBron said, the oil field (actually, most of the drilling is for natural gas!!) in Texas and Oklahoma are booming, Arkansas is also getting very hot, and this trend will continue for at least the next 20 yrs. It is also true that O/F Service companies are screaming for drivers.

BOL2U
I second the first part of the first sentence-- it would be helpful if we knew 'where' you live.

but why would anyone- with family and roots-- relocate for a dead-end general labor job?

Hillbrothers-- nice equipment
Dynamic Transit-- nice equipment
TLI--(Russellville,Ar) -- nice equipment
Westside Transport- Cedar Rapids, Ia

Old 08-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by headborg

BOL2U
I second the first part of the first sentence-- it would be helpful if we knew 'where' you live.

but why would anyone- with family and roots-- relocate for a dead-end general labor job?

HeadBorg;

Are you suggesting that driving for an oil field service company is a "dead- end general labor job"??

The oil fields tend to pay rather well; this is one of the few industries in America that is currently aggressively seeking good people, where job growth is very positive, and for the most part, they are willing to pay for quality talent. Another benefit is that you develop a good network of people... it's easier to keep an ear to the ground regarding who is doing what, and what other companies offer in terms of pay and benefits.

Not what you would call "dead-end", or general labor.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:56 AM
Senior Board Member

BOL2U

HeadBorg;

Are you suggesting that driving for an oil field service company is a "dead- end general labor job"??

The oil fields tend to pay rather well; this is one of the few industries in America that is currently aggressively seeking good people, where job growth is very positive, and for the most part, they are willing to pay for quality talent. Another benefit is that you develop a good network of people... it's easier to keep an ear to the ground regarding who is doing what, and what other companies offer in terms of pay and benefits.

Not what you would call "dead-end", or general labor.

No, sorry I did not read his entire post-- I was not calling 'oil field' work- as 'dead end'-- just the general OTR jobs.

How much is common starting yearly salary for oil field work?

A guy( like myself) can make 60K in one of these 'dead-end' jobs OTR.

I might relocate myself if they'd start me out at say 90K?
I could have gone to Iraq and driven for 90K( but didn't want to get blown up or get my head cut off.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Headborg wrote;

"I could have gone to Iraq and driven for 90K( but didn't want to get blown up or get my head cut off."

If we took up a collection and paid your way to Iraq, would you go? :lol:

Old 08-07-2008, 12:19 AM

A guy( like myself) can make 60K in one of these 'dead-end' jobs OTR.
Working how many hours? How much time spent in the truck away from friends/family? How many weekends and holidays on the road?

Reply Subscribe