FMCSA Carrier List

Old 08-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Senior Board Member
Default FMCSA Carrier List

As a few may know, on the FMCSA website you can look up carrier info, so I went through the SC listing, and e-mailed about 70 of the listed companies looking for someone to drive for. Now here is the kicker to me, sofar 5 wrote me back saying they want 2 to 3 years experience, and all of those are either dry van, refer, or flat. The only other one to write me back that was actually interested was a bulk chemical tanker company! Go figure, I don't have tanker or hazmat, but the fact that you need 2 years to haul some potatoes, and less then a year to haul a chemical that could wipe out a city. What is wrong with this industry?

Old 08-08-2008, 03:08 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: FMCSA Carrier List

Originally Posted by matcat
As a few may know, on the FMCSA website you can look up carrier info, so I went through the SC listing, and e-mailed about 70 of the listed companies looking for someone to drive for. Now here is the kicker to me, sofar 5 wrote me back saying they want 2 to 3 years experience, and all of those are either dry van, refer, or flat. The only other one to write me back that was actually interested was a bulk chemical tanker company! Go figure, I don't have tanker or hazmat, but the fact that you need 2 years to haul some potatoes, and less then a year to haul a chemical that could wipe out a city. What is wrong with this industry?
LOL...did you inform that tanker company about your history??

Now...seriously. Even a tanker company may give you a "Bye" on your accident, given that it occured so soon into your young driving career. The thing about the tanker industry, is that most of these companies PREFER to train a "Rookie", whom has not had a chance to develop any deadly habits. Far far easier to train someone that has no clue, than it is to "UNtrain" someone whom feels they "Know it all".

Don't be to quick to laugh them off...they could just possibly help you.

Given your accident, there maybe a tanker company out there whom will feel that the accident itself will have given you pause to learn how "Your actions affect others" and will hire you for the simple reason that there is a widely held belief, that some accidents help turn drivers away from bad habits.

Some learn...some don't.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: FMCSA Carrier List

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Originally Posted by matcat
LOL...did you inform that tanker company about your history??

Now...seriously. Even a tanker company may give you a "Bye" on your accident, given that it occured so soon into your young driving career. The thing about the tanker industry, is that most of these companies PREFER to train a "Rookie", whom has not had a chance to develop any deadly habits. Far far easier to train someone that has no clue, than it is to "UNtrain" someone whom feels they "Know it all".

Don't be to quick to laugh them off...they could just possibly help you.

Given your accident, there maybe a tanker company out there whom will feel that the accident itself will have given you pause to learn how "Your actions affect others" and will hire you for the simple reason that there is a widely held belief, that some accidents help turn drivers away from bad habits.

Some learn...some don't.
Yeah I disclosed my accident. His email back to me pretty much fell inline with what you said. I am considering it, but I need to get tanker and hazmat endorsement, I have been thinking of getting them anyway, just can't do it right now.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Senior Board Member

I will tell you one thing, just going down the list of companies is one hell of a way to find a job, haha. I am getting a few good responses out of it.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Board Regular

I think Tanker companies are more likely to give you a face to face interview. I would go for it but then I am a rookie pulling a tank.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by wsyrob
I think Tanker companies are more likely to give you a face to face interview. I would go for it but then I am a rookie pulling a tank.
Are you enjoying it though???