Heartland- Here I Come!

Old 08-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Rookie

P.A sounds like you have a pretty good gig going between miles and hometime especially in todays economy. I head to orientation next weekend in Chatanooga TN, hopefully things will go well for me there. I noticed you live in TN and I was wondering how things were there now. The wife and I hope to move there in a year or two just cant take much more of Florida.Keep safe and keep the updates coming.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life
P.A sounds like you have a pretty good gig going between miles and hometime especially in todays economy. I head to orientation next weekend in Chatanooga TN, hopefully things will go well for me there. I noticed you live in TN and I was wondering how things were there now. The wife and I hope to move there in a year or two just cant take much more of Florida.Keep safe and keep the updates coming.

Flyerfan,

It depends on where you want to move in TN I guess. Here in Knoxville the pay isn't great and the price of living is high. The average apartment is around $600 a month. I don't know how Chattanooga is. A friend of mine lives south of Nashville and they like it very much. There is a lot of diversity in TN though, so you should be able to find something you like. I know I couldn't stand being in Florida very long either.

I haven't been on here in a while because it is all same old, same old. Nothing real exciting. It makes a much better story if you are changing jobs every other week and fighting with your dispatcher. I've had none of that honestly. Its not been all roses and its not for everybody, but its been overall pretty good for me.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Rookie

Originally Posted by P A Frederick
Flyerfan,

It depends on where you want to move in TN I guess. Here in Knoxville the pay isn't great and the price of living is high. The average apartment is around $600 a month. I don't know how Chattanooga is. A friend of mine lives south of Nashville and they like it very much. There is a lot of diversity in TN though, so you should be able to find something you like. I know I couldn't stand being in Florida very long either.

I haven't been on here in a while because it is all same old, same old. Nothing real exciting. It makes a much better story if you are changing jobs every other week and fighting with your dispatcher. I've had none of that honestly. Its not been all roses and its not for everybody, but its been overall pretty good for me.
Thanks for the reply PA. I will be looking for a rural type location in TN not to far from the mountains. The only mountain in Florida is space mountain and I am no fan of Disney. I have some friends here in Florida also looking to move to TN and they say I should look around the outskirts of Cleaveland TN, how is it around there ? We have 3 horses and plenty of dogs we plan to bring with us.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Board Regular

It's good to see someone sticking it out with a company, despite some of the negative feedback from some of the A holes on here. Keep your head up PA, if you continue to do what you're doing, and work as hard as you've been, good things will come your way. I recently made the mistake of leaving a good job because i thought the grass was greener on the other side, needless to say the summer came and that grass died right before my eyes. Luckily for me i was able to get my old job back and things are on the up and up for my wife and i, just keep your mind on the goal, and that big heartland truck between the lines, and everything will work out, best of luck.......

Old 08-28-2009, 05:44 PM

Things were about the same for me this week, about 2000 miles (actually a little more, but I don't remember the exact number). I left my house Sunday evening and got home this morning (around 545 am). I had to sit some and drive all night one night (last night, but I slept all day Thursday).

I may not be at Heartland too much longer. Its not really the miles or anything they have done, but I have found something a little more local. Smaller company around here with more regular freight. It is all out and back loads, meaning I'll know what I'm doing before I leave Knoxville and when I'll be back. I'll be able to run real hard when I want to and make serious $, and I'll be able to go a little easier some weeks to and be home more. I'll probably run a longer run to start the week, come home a night, then run an Atlanta and back and be done.

The only thing I don't know about is it pays percentage (which I've never run before). By the way the guy talks (who I've knew a long time ago but recently got back in touch) I'll be making pretty good per mile on average. Also, they have really good paying stuff going from here to Canada. They said they would pay for me to get the documentation I need. They have about 20 trucks, one dispatcher (the guy I know and have been talking to, he also has 6 trucks leased onto the company) and the owner (who is currently in a truck on his way to Canada...).

I'll start a new thread with more info if I go with them. Passed the MVR and work record check, did my drug test today (no worries) and am going to the shop to see the truck I'll be driving and talk a little more with him before I decide. I haven't told Heartland yet. I'll tell them Monday if I decide to jump. Word is they are firing anyone who gives a 2 week notice in person (not new in trucking). I'll probably call my FM and tell him to get me to Kingsport on Friday so I can clean the truck out and have my wife come get me.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Rookie

Hope all works out for you PA If you get a better oppurtunity in this economy you have to jump on it.I have had to work hard to get the oppurtunity I head to in the morning. I just hope my blood pressure doesnt scew me over.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Heartland has apparently rented or leased the field across the way from where I park my rig on hometime.

Down in McDonough,Ga

Place was full of trailers the other day when i came home

Old 08-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by P A Frederick
Things were about the same for me this week, about 2000 miles (actually a little more, but I don't remember the exact number). I left my house Sunday evening and got home this morning (around 545 am). I had to sit some and drive all night one night (last night, but I slept all day Thursday).

I may not be at Heartland too much longer. Its not really the miles or anything they have done, but I have found something a little more local. Smaller company around here with more regular freight. It is all out and back loads, meaning I'll know what I'm doing before I leave Knoxville and when I'll be back. I'll be able to run real hard when I want to and make serious $, and I'll be able to go a little easier some weeks to and be home more. I'll probably run a longer run to start the week, come home a night, then run an Atlanta and back and be done.

The only thing I don't know about is it pays percentage (which I've never run before). By the way the guy talks (who I've knew a long time ago but recently got back in touch) I'll be making pretty good per mile on average. Also, they have really good paying stuff going from here to Canada. They said they would pay for me to get the documentation I need. They have about 20 trucks, one dispatcher (the guy I know and have been talking to, he also has 6 trucks leased onto the company) and the owner (who is currently in a truck on his way to Canada...).

I'll start a new thread with more info if I go with them. Passed the MVR and work record check, did my drug test today (no worries) and am going to the shop to see the truck I'll be driving and talk a little more with him before I decide. I haven't told Heartland yet. I'll tell them Monday if I decide to jump. Word is they are firing anyone who gives a 2 week notice in person (not new in trucking). I'll probably call my FM and tell him to get me to Kingsport on Friday so I can clean the truck out and have my wife come get me.

If the work records check didn't give them a heads up, then you just did here!!

Old 08-29-2009, 01:49 AM

Well, whats a work record check tell them? That someone is checking my work history, not that I am actually being employed by them. Even if they check my history I could decide not to go with them or they could decide not to hire me. Also this board isn't a very good indicator either. I've been on here since day one saying I'm looking for something more local. I've told my dispatcher the same thing.

They aren't going to cry too hard if I decide to leave and go with this other company. Rumor is (and I have no proof if this is true or not) that they let go 400 drivers last month, mostly for stupid stuff. Now, this number sounds pretty high to me, but who knows. Of course, it may all be BS, you can't ever tell with drivers.

Went to their truck yard and looked at a couple trucks they have empty, talked to the boss, discussed primary lanes, etc. Still don't know for sure yet. I'll let ya'll know.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:08 AM
Senior Board Member

what kind of % is he offering? 20%? 21%? I wouldn't think it would be much more than 26%? is his equipment spec'd for good fuel economy? you know working on percentage-- the worse your fuel economy / longer DH the less you'll be taking to the bank.

Reply Subscribe