Heartland- Here I Come!

Old 03-21-2010, 12:53 AM

Howdy fellers! Been a long time since I wrote it about anything. I've been busier than I can stand!

I ended up going to the smaller company in Knoxville. In ways it was better, ways worse. The pay was 25% before expenses and I did pull some really, really good paying stuff for them. I was in Knoxville once during the week, and off every weekend (except one when I delivered a load in San Antonio out of Kville) and I volunteered for that. There were bad points that are too numerous to mention, but I wouldn't recommend anyone go to work for them. If you need to know their name (they only hire out of Knoxville and only have about 6 trucks) PM me and I'll warn you. Things like: not looking for you a load until you were empty (and then getting screwed on your pay because of it), running WAY too hard, broke down equipment (most of it was junk they refused to fix), dispatcher flat out lying to you (and he was the man in charge), etc. Overall it was a good learning experience, but not a good working one!

Anyway, my family and I moved back to Southern Illinois in February and couldn't be happier! I was going to drive for a farmer (hopper bottom, $15 an hour, no time and a half though) but the roads were closed when I moved and grain prices fell. I got a job instead in a factory making grain handling equipment. I'm operating a press brake and making 12.73 an hour, working 50-60 hour weeks (gotta love the time and a half) and have good benefits and a laid-back working environment. It was tough getting used to standing and walking all day, but my back and hips feel tons better than sitting in a bouncing truck! I also enjoy being home with my family, coon hunting every night (I'm not even joking) and being closer to our extended family.

Also, when I was in the truck I had no time to attend church or do really anything in the church (I did move to TN to attend Bible college after all). Since we moved I am now the youth pastor at my home church and the choir director. Everything is working out nicely.

As far as Heartland, I would recommend them for the terminal I ran out of (Kingsport, TN), but I can't for the others as I know nothing about them except here-say. I did get home 3 out of 4 weekends, ran my 2000+ a week and the people were decent to me. I'm sorry that I don't have anyone's number who I worked with so I don't know the latest on them.

After thinking about BIG companies, here are some general pointers I think work well. they may not work for everyone, and I might be flat-out wrong about some of them.

1. Don't pick a company with the closest terminal more than 100 miles from your house. What if you get fired/quit, how you gonna get home? My wife came and got me from Kingsport (they were very good about it when I turned in my notice).

2. Pick a company with a good smattering of terminals that offer showers, fuel, laundry, etc. It's nice to know you won't have to fight a truck stop in Atlanta or somewhere due to the terminal parking.

3. Pick a company that takes a little pride in the appearance of the trucks. No off colored bumpers or dirty filthy trucks. We had to wash at the terminals if they weren't froze or broke ( and they were good about fixing them there).

4. Pick a company where the dispatchers have worked there a while. My dispatcher had been with Heartland since they bought out A&M or whoever had the Kingsport terminal before them. He worked for that company 11 years before that as dispatcher, and for Mason Dixon for close to 10 as a dispatcher before that. He knew what he was doing.

5. Don't pick a company who's trucks you hardly ever see in your hometown (if you have several industries there). This is a sign, you won't get home!

6. Don't pick a company until you talk to 5+ of their drivers first! Buy them a cup of coffee and pick their brain about the pros/cons of the co. Remember, anyone can have a good or bad day/week and be really up or really down on the company, thats why I suggest at least 5. I didn't do this with Heartland, but I guess I still got lucky.

Hopefully these little tips will help some drivers. They aren't set in stone, but they may be of some use.

I'll still be checking in from time to time on here. Keep up the good work on the roads. Those that can live OTR have both my respect and sympathy. I respect the fact you can do it, but I feel sorry for you having to live in a truck. I know many, many people chose this lifestyle, but it's not for me.

God bless you and yours. Be safe, have fun, don't do anything stupid!

Old 03-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Good advice and good to hear things are working out for you!

Old 03-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Board Regular

PA> it sounds like you found what you were looking for.
I think trucking is something many people should try, but it's not a career for all those people.
I've seen guys who are born to drive, and I work with guys who should have gotten out years ago.
For me, personally, I've gotten into a local position so I can make a living and be with my family. But I know I won't drive forever. I'd rather have more time than money, and if I could work 40 hours a week and make 10% less than I do now, I'd do it in a shot.
But you'll never know until you have to do it.
Good luck with the new job, and don't be surprised when you start to get the itch for the open road. It's why we got into the truck in the first place.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Senior Board Member

hope all goes well for you. those recommendations are good ones, I generally follow them except in this case where I had to go with what came my way. As stated in the last post, some are cut for this industry and some aren't. As for me my only regret is I didn't get into it right after I got out of the Navy, lol. I couldn't see myself doing anything else now.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by geeshock
hope all goes well for you. those recommendations are good ones, I generally follow them except in this case where I had to go with what came my way. As stated in the last post, some are cut for this industry and some aren't. As for me my only regret is I didn't get into it right after I got out of the Navy, lol. I couldn't see myself doing anything else now.
I especially agree with #5.
I never knew Victorville was such a major hub for deliveries.
At least that gives me plenty of opportunities to get myself out of here once the time is right.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:22 AM

i never knew that about victorville either till i worked for marten and prime and i lived in hesperia i was home once a week now i drive a super10 locally

Old 04-25-2010, 01:12 AM
Board Regular

Originally Posted by bentstrider
I especially agree with #5.
I never knew Victorville was such a major hub for deliveries.
At least that gives me plenty of opportunities to get myself out of here once the time is right.
there is a pilot at the shelbyville,in. exit, off of 74, there must be a kroger dc or something back off the road where you can't see it. because there is crap load of england's and marten trucks coming and going all night. also seen us express tractor's pulling kroger trailer's.:thumbsup:

Old 06-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1catfish
there is a pilot at the shelbyville,in. exit, off of 74, there must be a kroger dc or something back off the road where you can't see it. because there is crap load of england's and marten trucks coming and going all night. also seen us express tractor's pulling kroger trailer's.:thumbsup:
There is a walmart distribution center down that road that moves frozen and perishable food.

Reply Subscribe