Getting back in the game- Werner Enterprises

Old 05-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Board Regular

Originally Posted by Joey Shabadoo
That's IF everything goes 100%.
Anyone who's spent any time driving a truck knows that things rarely go that smoothly.
And when they don't (traffic, breakdown, weather, delays, etc)...that $13.50/hr gets whittled down real quick.
Qualcomm...easy to cheat...it doesn't know what's happening when the wheels aren't spinning under a load.
I have no need to cheat. I always pick up at the exact same place (our dropyard) and I always drop at the same place (a truck stop in Amarillo). As far as less that perfect conditions, it can happen to anyone, anywhere, at anytime. But if your going to stress over something that rarely happens, and that you have no control over, then you should know by now trucking is not the career for you.

Besides, if this was such a great home-everynight job, there'd be a waiting list a mile long to hire on. And yet, Werner's always hiring...just another low-rent coolie carrier.
Might have something to do with the fact that you have to live within a certain radius of a Net-Ops terminal or dropyard? And that most Werner drivers in Oklahoma are on the Dollar General Dedicated account. The only ones that I have met and left Net-Ops have transferred to another division of the company out of boredom. (The run does get old after a while, especially at night. I rarely ever see the Texas part of my run beyond streetlamps and headlights.)

He's got a shiny blue truck and an APU.
What more can a supertrucker ask for? :lol:
Actually, I'm in a white 2009 Freightliner Columbia daycab that I just turned 104k miles on this morning, so no blue and no APU but thanks for continuing to troll me.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ronin
I have no need to cheat. I always pick up at the exact same place (our dropyard) and I always drop at the same place (a truck stop in Amarillo). As far as less that perfect conditions, it can happen to anyone, anywhere, at anytime. But if your going to stress over something that rarely happens, and that you have no control over, then you should know by now trucking is not the career for you.
You should know that non-union LTL drivers are making .55 cpm for doing the same job you're doing...terminal-to-terminal drop and hook.
That's more than DOUBLE the rate you're getting.
As far as delays and other stuff "rarely" happening...please...I've been in this business over 15 years...this is trucking...**** happens all the time LOL.
Granted, on a dedicated run there's less BS, but when crap does happen, is Werner paying you for it?
Not on your life.

You can work the numbers any way you want but .23 cpm is .23 cpm which is CRAP money to drive a truck.
It AMAZES me how many drivers and O/O are happy making peanuts in this biz.
Especially in a stripped-down, governed Werner daycab.

But this is why the rates/wages never go up.
They go down because the companies find people like you willing to haul for .23 cpm.
Or morons at Prime/CR England doing the fleece-purchase for .90 cpm + FSC.

I'd laugh at anyone offering me .23 cpm to drive...those kinds of wages are an insult to anyone's integrity.
And people who agrees to work for .23 cpm bring down the working conditions for drivers who demand more for their time/effort on the job.
Why should the companies pay .30/.40/.50 cpm when they've got people like you willing to haul for cheap?

Might have something to do with the fact that you have to live within a certain radius of a Net-Ops terminal or dropyard? And that most Werner drivers in Oklahoma are on the Dollar General Dedicated account. The only ones that I have met and left Net-Ops have transferred to another division of the company out of boredom. (The run does get old after a while, especially at night. I rarely ever see the Texas part of my run beyond streetlamps and headlights.)
The fact that they're even open is proof enough in the pudding for me.
Such a supposed great job would have guys with many years seniority on that run.
Home everynight jobs like that are a rarity in this biz.

Last edited by Joey Shabadoo; 05-01-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:37 AM
Rookie

I notice you didn't attempt to argue those points. You must be one of the "haves" with the seniority. One of the ones with a vested interest in the status quo. That alone tells me all I need to know.

You work for $0.23 cpm .... What more can I say. You would have been better off going to UPS, sure it would have taken some time to get back in the truck but well worth it. Now your working for peanuts for a company that is notorious for mistreating drivers.

But you would have to get doubles/triples and hazmat to work for UPS. So I guess it wouldnt have worked out. You cant expect to go into a LTL shop, Union or non union , and move right into a nice daytime linehaul run.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:48 AM
Rookie

My beef with Unions

1. They value seniority over merit. I was told I'd have to be a Package Handler making 9.50/hr at UPS for 15 YEARS before I'd have the seniority I needed to get a CDL job, despite the fact I had 2 years OTR and 15 months local operations experience with no preventables or DOT Violations. FUC$ THAT!

2. They care only about what they get and not if the company they work for can afford it. GM anyone?

As far as LTL goes I could care less, but they require Doubles and HazMat and neither endorsement will be on my license in the near future.

1. Maybe you should have told them you were Jonny Bigrigger and they would have put you to the top of the list. I

2.Gm seems to be getting out of their hole. They have paid back the bailout loan. Besides they weren't selling cars.... is that the workers fault?

3. Why could you care less about LTL? Everyone in trucking knows that's where the money is. $20+ an hr when not driving and $0.50 + cpm when driving. Sure it takes some work and you break a sweat but the checks are nice.

I feel sorry for you, anyone who post about making $0.23 cpm and tries to defend it in 2010 is a fool.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:40 AM
Senior Board Member

If this (.23 cpm) is the best that's available to him in his area at this time what's the big deal? Don't hand me the usual crap about drivers keeping the pay scale low. I found a good job with pretty good pay and I'm home daily all with a whopping 1 year or so exp.! BUT it was just the luck of the draw. The OP just might be waiting for his chance! I don't understand what some people are so upset about, would you be happier if he collected unemployment? Maybe he should sit at home till the bank kicks him out, that just might make your day!
Until your in his shoes ........

Old 05-02-2010, 04:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by philrant
1. Maybe you should have told them you were Jonny Bigrigger and they would have put you to the top of the list. I

2.Gm seems to be getting out of their hole. They have paid back the bailout loan. Besides they weren't selling cars.... is that the workers fault?

3. Why could you care less about LTL? Everyone in trucking knows that's where the money is. $20+ an hr when not driving and $0.50 + cpm when driving. Sure it takes some work and you break a sweat but the checks are nice.

I feel sorry for you, anyone who post about making $0.23 cpm and tries to defend it in 2010 is a fool.

The checks are nice....until they stop coming. OR stop being nice.

ABF, Teamsters Agree to 15% Wage Cut | Transport Topics Online | Trucking, Freight Transportation and Logistics News

Old 05-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

These big union trucking companies are in serious trouble. They will be lucky to survive. The workers and unions will need to either compromise with lower wages and benefits or find a new company, because their current carrier will not be able to make it.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Board Regular

Originally Posted by GMAN
These big union trucking companies are in serious trouble. They will be lucky to survive. The workers and unions will need to either compromise with lower wages and benefits or find a new company, because their current carrier will not be able to make it.
That's exactly the point I was trying to make. Even the biggest firms have a breaking point. And from the article linked above it seems that the Already Broken Freight Company may be getting closer to theirs than they'd like.

Originally Posted by repete
If this (.23 cpm) is the best that's available to him in his area at this time what's the big deal? Don't hand me the usual crap about drivers keeping the pay scale low. I found a good job with pretty good pay and I'm home daily all with a whopping 1 year or so exp.! BUT it was just the luck of the draw. The OP just might be waiting for his chance! I don't understand what some people are so upset about, would you be happier if he collected unemployment? Maybe he should sit at home till the bank kicks him out, that just might make your day!
Until your in his shoes ........
Yeah, I was laid off from my last job and was on unemployment for 3 months, practically beating down doors doing anything and everything to stay OUT of trucking. You have no idea how depressing it is when even McDonald's is not hiring.
So, as the bills started coming in I knew I had only one choice, so I returned to the game 18 months after swearing off this accursed industry forever. I applied at several companies (including the recruiting service offered on this website.) Werner was the only outfit to offer me a job that didn't include a mandatory 1 month OTR refresher, and the only reason I got that was because of my local ops experience being my most recent. So troll all you want guys, this is my slice of this twisted pie we call trucking. Is it the best job ever? No. But it sure beats the ever-living hell out of an unemployment check.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Rookie

Originally Posted by GMAN

It says they agreed to a 15% wage reduction.... But I was talking more along the lines of Con-Way.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Senior Board Member

GM DID NOT PAY THE GOVERMENT BACK. They SAY THEY DID HOWEVER THEY REPAID THE GOVERMENT WITH MONEY FROM THE GOVERMENT. All GM Did was use part of the 16 BILLION dolar line of CREDIT they had FROM TARP TO REPAY THE LOANS THEY HAD THEY NEVER REPAID THE GOVERMENT. ON PAPER IT LOOKS LIKE THEY DID BUT IN REAL LIFE WHICH NONE OF YOU UNION IDIOTS ARE IN THEY DID NO SUCH THING. THEY IN FACT OWE US THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY WE GAVE THEM FROM THE BEGINING. ALL GM DID WAs use it for PR SINCE TOYOTA WAS GETING HAMMERED AT HE TIME.