Getting back in the game- Werner Enterprises

Old 05-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by ironeagle_2006
GM DID NOT PAY THE GOVERMENT BACK. They SAY THEY DID HOWEVER THEY REPAID THE GOVERMENT WITH MONEY FROM THE GOVERMENT. All GM Did was use part of the 16 BILLION dolar line of CREDIT they had FROM TARP TO REPAY THE LOANS THEY HAD THEY NEVER REPAID THE GOVERMENT. ON PAPER IT LOOKS LIKE THEY DID BUT IN REAL LIFE WHICH NONE OF YOU UNION IDIOTS ARE IN THEY DID NO SUCH THING. THEY IN FACT OWE US THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY WE GAVE THEM FROM THE BEGINING. ALL GM DID WAs use it for PR SINCE TOYOTA WAS GETING HAMMERED AT HE TIME.
+1

GM is playing the age-old shell game...with our money.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Rookie

Edit a mistake.

Last edited by philrant; 05-03-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Board Regular

Originally Posted by Ronin
everyone else in the area for local or linehaul are either doubles, hazmat or union and to all 3 I say no way.
werner gave you the real 411. 23cpm
yes the the union have problems when you dont want 9.50 or 50 cpm or 20$.
i only make 36cpm and 15$ but i paid for my hazmat and twic and im training on my own time cuz im next and i want every thing.
hang on to that steering wheel and stay out of the ditch and get out of yer rut

Old 05-02-2010, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by GMAN
These big union trucking companies are in serious trouble. They will be lucky to survive. The workers and unions will need to either compromise with lower wages and benefits or find a new company, because their current carrier will not be able to make it.
And how many non-union O/O have gone bellyup in the past few years?
Thousands?
Hauling/working cheap ain't the answer.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Originally Posted by Joey Shabadoo
And how many non-union O/O have gone bellyup in the past few years?
Thousands?
Hauling/working cheap ain't the answer.

Most owner operators don't belong to a union. An owner operator is a businessman. The only thing the union will do is take his money. A union cannot make an owner operator a good businessman. There are several reasons why owner operators have gone out of business. Lack of knowledge, little or no experience and lack of sufficient working capital top the list. The poor economy has not helped, either. I agree that many have been hauling too cheap to make a profit. Others have simply not managed their money as well as they should. Some of them should have stayed a company driver. They could have made more money. Thousands of carriers have also gone out of business the last couple of years for much of the same reasons.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:47 AM
Rookie

I'm not Union and I was wrong about GM so I guess I'm not perfect either. You work for $0.23 a mile, I'm speechless. Its not about being Union or non union, its about someone making $0.23 a mile.

Last edited by philrant; 05-03-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Board Regular

Originally Posted by philrant
I'm not Union and I was wrong about GM so I guess I'm not perfect either. You work for $0.23 a mile, I'm speechless. Its not about being Union or non union, its about someone making $0.23 a mile.
Yeah, it's funny to watch all the people stare on , transfixed at the figure, because that is all that truly matters to them.
I am home every night, well every morning.
I don't have to haul crap that may blow me up, corrode me into a pile of goop, poison me or make me glow in the dark.
I didn't have to go back out into OTR for a "refresher".
And i don't have to put up with a union trying to hose me with crap jobs, excessive dues and trying to make me think the time I have been in trucking to date means exactly jack squat.

Gawk at the figure all you want, but for me it's a decent tradeoff.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Good for you, Ronin. You found something that works for you. Don't worry about the naysayers. Some don't understand that there are some things more important than money. Besides, some may live in areas with a high cost of living and where you live may cost much less. Cost of living is something that some don't consider when looking for a job. As long as the job meets your needs then it is good for you. :thumbsup:

Old 05-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by philrant
It says they agreed to a 15% wage reduction.... But I was talking more along the lines of Con-Way.
I'm a little confused... What's this about Con-Way? (The main reason I ask is because I applied with them recently. They still haven't responded, though).

As far as freight there is no contract. If it's west-bound general freight, it's fair game for "Net-Ops" guys. We don't handle true expedite or hot freight, but that's what teams and OTR drivers are for.
Disclaimer: This isn't a rant against Ronin, but rather a rant against the way Werner does things.

... and said OTR drivers are usually rather ticked off when they find that they have to hand over that 2,000 mile load to a net-ops driver. I'm not any more enthused about that deal than anyone else on here, especially because it ends up taking away from the drivers' bottom line when this is done. It also isn't making things any better for any company or O/O out there wishing to still make money, because it just keeps giving folks an incentive to do things cheaper and cheaper.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Yeah, it's funny to watch all the people stare on , transfixed at the figure, because that is all that truly matters to them.
I am home every night, well every morning.
I don't have to haul crap that may blow me up, corrode me into a pile of goop, poison me or make me glow in the dark.
I didn't have to go back out into OTR for a "refresher".
And i don't have to put up with a union trying to hose me with crap jobs, excessive dues and trying to make me think the time I have been in trucking to date means exactly jack squat.

Gawk at the figure all you want, but for me it's a decent tradeoff.
In the end isn't that all that matters?